Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone Review & Comments

Hi Ed,

Great review. Having also reviewed and rated the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (M3), how would you say the PX7 compares in sound quality, comfort and noise cancelling (from memory, unless you bought/kept some M3s)?

Not been overly impressed with headphones using bluetooth. Mind you never spent anywhere near £350 on a pair so maybe I should widen my horizon as a good deal of my tv listening is via headphones.

Great review. Having also reviewed and rated the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (M3), how would you say the PX7 compares in sound quality, comfort and noise cancelling (from memory, unless you bought/kept some M3s)?

The Sennheiser will be written up for here shortly so watch this space.

I have these and have been impressed; came from an old pair of Bose QC35s.

Very comfortable and a lovely warm sound.

I've been very interested in these for a while, every review had been very positive, obviously including this one, with the exception of a well known ratings site that criticised the treble response, stating that :

Their frequency response consistency in the treble range is pretty bad..... fail to deliver a constant audio throughout reseats and will perform differently according to your head and ear shapes and sizes, and also that they have a bass heavy, dark sound profile.

Any thoughts on this Ed? I guess I need to test for myself but find it off putting at this price.

Cheers

'Performance in keeping with headphones in the £150 - £200 price range'.
Call me a traditionalist but if I spent twice that much I'd be expecting better.
But then it's a B&W product so the laws of consumer logic no longer apply, and no doubt it will find it's demographic in folks who fail the 'more money/sense' test.

Call me a traditionalist but if I spent twice that much I'd be expecting better.
But then it's a B&W product so the laws of consumer logic no longer apply, and no doubt it will find it's demographic in folks who fail the 'more money/sense' test.

Disconnect the wired headphones, press play on the device they were connected to, walk six feet from it and see how they compare to the PX-7.

Any wireless headphone has to budget for amplification, battery, microphones and noise cancelling software. As such, the comparison to less expensive traditional headphones is valid and not unreasonable.

I have been debating whether to purchase these or not. but many sites seems to be flooded with people having issues with a clicking noise in one side of the ear phones with some people have to exchange 2 to 4 times to get a pair that a issue free. Has anyone on this forum experienced the aforementioned issues?

As Ed couldn't be arsed to test it as usual, can an owner please say whether these support multi device connection & call switching. i.e. can i connect the headphones to a phone & laptop and be listening to music on one and answer a call on the other. Something that Bose QC35II can do but Sony refuses to implement on their high end bluetooth cans. Cheers.

Yes. You can even see the second connection window in one of the app screenshots.

Thank you Ed. I will wait for your review of the senheiser and the version 4 of the noise cancelling Sony on approach...
Competition is tough...and that’s good

I am glad they focused on sound quality first. This to me is much more important then noise cancelling, which is available but not as good as Bose 700/Sony WH1000XM3.

Senn M3 is also a good sounding BT Headphone, but low end base is too woolly. They are much better then Bose 700/Sony WH1000XM3. These P7’s are the best BT sounding over ear headphone [excluding HIFIMAN ANANDA BT = £1,200+].

i have owned all of the above, apart from HIFIMAN ANANDA BT.

Thanks for the review Ed. I’m looking to upgrade my KitSound headphones as I’m starting to wear them more often, but they’re uncomfortable for long periods. Rather than jump in and get the PX7s though, I think I might hang on for other pending reviews.

Good user feedback too, thanks everyone!

Great review sir :smashin:

Wish I’d read it before I got my current ones.

Ps, do B&W make their own headphones? Or is the whole business farmed out?

I bought a new pair of B&W 601 S2's twenty years ago for £250. Still working perfectly, still sounding great. Do I pass the more money/sense test?

Good review. I had some older P5's and loved the sound quality. I tried the original PX and was really impressed with the sound. I fly a lot and nearly bought a pair as they sounded better than the P5's and had the added functionality of NC.

In the end, I bought the P7's. They sound better than the P5 and PX (so it would be good to get a comparison of the P7 vs PX7 for sound) but as I also use an FiiO amp, I prefer wired. I also don't like having too many devices that I have to charge. I'd rather have wired and know they will work every time I pick them up. Do the PX7 come with a wire in the box that you can use instead of the wireless option?

As much as I love the sound I get from my setup, I'm still tempted with these for the NC features. If they sound as good as the P7's do when not in NC mode then I might end up swapping over.

Can anyone confirm that these will work wired with no battery? This is hinted at in the review but not confirmed. Pretty sure the PX does not do this, so always needs some charge.

Good review. I had some older P5's and loved the sound quality. I tried the original PX and was really impressed with the sound. I fly a lot and nearly bought a pair as they sounded better than the P5's and had the added functionality of NC.

In the end, I bought the P7's. They sound better than the P5 and PX (so it would be good to get a comparison of the P7 vs PX7 for sound) but as I also use an FiiO amp, I prefer wired. I also don't like having too many devices that I have to charge. I'd rather have wired and know they will work every time I pick them up. Do the PX7 come with a wire in the box that you can use instead of the wireless option?

As much as I love the sound I get from my setup, I'm still tempted with these for the NC features. If they sound as good as the P7's do when not in NC mode then I might end up swapping over.

My big concern with the PX7s is that, like the PX, they cannot be used passively and wired.E

My big concern with the PX7s is that, like the PX, they cannot be used passively and wired.E

I understand that. I went for the Sennheiser M3s over the PX7s for that very reason.

I have P7 Wireless and the PX's were a downgrade sonically and quality.

The P7's also sound better when wired.

I've been looking at the PX7's but the £150 wired headphone comparison puts me off.

Any ex-P7 owners tried the PX7?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom