• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bowers & Wilkins CM Centre 2 - Dialogue Very Quiet

gambit6

Established Member
I have a Bowers & Wilkins CM Centre 2 and dialogue is output at a very low volume. The bass output is more than loud enough, and all other speakers in my set-up sound fine. Any ideas ?

Here is my set-up, along with the settings automatically applied by my A/V receiver via the Audyssey microphone.

Speakers:

Centre = B&W CM Centre 2
Front = B&W CM8
Surround = B&W CM1
Subwoofer = B&W PV1

A/V Receiver:

Onkyo TX-SR876

Speaker Settings:

Impedance = 6 ohms
Front speaker type = Bi-Amp

Speaker Config:

Front = Full Band
Center = Full Band
Surround = 150 Hz
LPF of LFE = 80 Hz
Double Bass = Off

Speaker Distance:

Front Left = 2.40 m
Front Right = 2.55 m
Center = 2.85 m
Surr Left = 1.35 m
Surr Right = 1.05 m
Subwoofer = 1.20 m

Speaker Calibration:

Left = -7.0 dB
Right = -8.0 dB
Center = -9.5 dB
Surr Left = -8.5 dB
Surr Right = -7.5 dB
Subwoofer = -9.0 dB

Speaker Tone Control:

The bass and treble for all speakers = 0 dB

SoundVision

Prominent Member
Hi, dialogue is the most important thing, when watching a movie so you will need to change the centre to +db for clarity. My centre speaker is set at +6 db and it is nice and clear when watching a movie.

ranger666

Established Member
Hi, dialogue is the most important thing, when watching a movie so you will need to change the centre to +db for clarity. My centre speaker is set at +6 db and it is nice and clear when watching a movie.

Is that not a false experience ?? it is like turning the bass and treble up on a system. A producer has been paid a packet to produce the best sound he can and then to tinker with it :eek: by +6

SoundVision

Prominent Member
Just because the producer has been paid a lot of money does not mean it will sound correct on everybody's equipement, I have found that with every receiver I have owned I had to adjust the sound to my liking after Audssey had done its job. My centre sounds a lot better when adding +db rather than minus -db it is louder and some what clearer, so each to their own really !

I wouldn't advise whacking it up by +6db straight away.

If you've got or can borrow an SPL meter then use that to see what it says try set each speaker at 75db at your listening position.

If not turn it up 1db at a time until it sounds how you'd like it to.

gambit6

Established Member
Thanks for your replies. I'll increase the overall volume for the centre speaker and reduce the bass - otherwise my ear-drums will burst.

I knew I could manually over-ride the settings, but the fact that there was such a difference between the vocal and bass volumes made me suspect there was something wrong with the speaker.

lunarwolf

Established Member
I have found that with every receiver I have owned I had to adjust the sound to my liking after Audssey had done its job.

doesn't sound like Audissey is doing its job properly. tweaking by +/- 1db maybe but not by +6db

to OP -> is this on all DVD or Blu Ray or just some? just asking because not all movies were created equal in terms of AQ

Last edited:

Mr Andy

Established Member
could it be that not all drivers are connected properly? I had a jumperbar move so only my bass driver was running.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom