Bowers & Wilkins 805 D4 Standmount Speaker Review

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I am now going to say something obvious and stupid: music is made by people for people.

I know B&W have a studio monitor reputation, and many people do listen to their music forensically, so I'd always regarded the brand as a bit sterile and dry for my tastes.

But it would appear that they've finally recognised that music isn't just about the right notes in the right order at the right speed; it's also about joy and emotion and feel, qualities that can't be scientifically measured but do still exist and add so much to the pleasure of your experience.

It would take a lot to get me to switch away from my PMC 20.26's. They're not perfect but I'm not looking for perfection. Mind you, if my numbers came up and I could move to a bigger, detached house, then I'd definitely add the 801 D4 to the shopping list!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
They are not pretty.

But B&W really lost me by having the vile avarice to charge £1200 for stands.

Ruffuz

They are not pretty.

But B&W really lost me by having the vile avarice to charge £1200 for stands.
Hope you never seen Apple wheels...

1632406766262.png

encaser

Since they were bought out, it seems clear that at least a 20% bung has been added to RRP. Scandalous.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Since they were bought out, it seems clear that at least a 20% bung has been added to RRP. Scandalous.

I'm not clear what you mean by that? They were £6,250 when they were officially launched and you can buy them in dealers for... £6,250.

socom23

Certainly not a fan of the looks, seem very dated.

fordster

It seems that we’re now finally seeing the results of the previous failed buyout of B&W, insane price rises! Someone has to pay for all the accumulated debt….

As much as I love B&W I have to ask what were they thinking of with this design? It reminds me of Dusty Bin and Daleks. And why did they have to add leather?

I have always aspired to owning a pair of 805Ds but if I was to do so now I’d be looking for any remaining stock of the D3.

Pogg

Fantastic review and appreciate your brilliant insight. As a piece of Industrial Design these could be welcomed by the most hesitant partner. You certainly wouldn’t spoil it with plant pot placed on top - don’t even contemplate it.

It goes without saying that Sound Insulation and the Room acoustics is very important to hear what these can deliver. Actually we’re seeing allot of public noise about such insulation to the extent of people glueing themselves to motorway roads. That might be going a bit too far, but clearly this is evidence of the enthusiasm for sound isolation from insulation. But why do they look so miserable - you should be happy to own top performance Speakers.

ti33er

Personally I like the new D4, simply offended by the price hike …I’ve not had a raise in 6 years, in fact they took my Overtime off me last year and earn 20-30% less as a result……which I suspect has happened to most people

Althepo

Novice Member
I'm an 805D3 owner and having moved them to a different and larger room am finding them somewhat bright with Naim amplification. Do the D4's address this or would an alternative I'm considering (Kudos 606) be a better option? Cheers.

Last edited:

ti33er

PM me, I can tell you how to effectively resolve this brightness issue; if you’re interested and still own 805D3 :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom