bowers wilkins 802n

anton1989

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m wanting to learn more about the Audio world and I’m currently doing as much research as possible (my eyes have gone square)

i have started by buying what to me is my dream pair of speakers the 802n, they are something I always keep on my watchlist but didn’t think I’d be buying anytime soon until a deal to good to turn down came up.

i have always been a fan of these just for the look which perhaps isn’t a good reason to buy speakers but on the other hand I haven’t read anything bad about them either.

so I’m here with a pair of beautiful speakers and no amp.

I’m really into my music from old hip hop to indie pretty much anything nice on the ear with nice bass

from what I have read these speakers are power hungry and to get the most out of them I need to go for 2 power amps and a pre amp. I read they can drop as low as 3 ohms to.

now I’ll be honest these speaker (until we move next year) are not going to see their full potential due to room size and the position (close to the back wall/side wall.

so I’m looking for a “starter amp” something to get me up and running and start the process of learning, I’d like to start with a AV if possible, most articles I’ve read recommend only power/mono amps but most of the articles are old and I’d like to the think the AVs have come a lot further since then?

the plan is a good av/pre amp and as time goes on experiment with adding a power amp or 2, the goal is to eventually build a 5.1 set up for a cinema room/listing room

so what AV amp would you recommend for around £1000 used? I really like the look of the rotel systems

if a AV Is really a no no what stereo amp would you recommend for around the same price? I’ll be looking at used for now and perhaps could stretch a little

any feedback much appreciated

For stereo music an AV amp just isn't going to do those speakers justice at all. Quality speakers need quality amplification and you're going to get that from a stereo amp, not an AV. Look for a stereo amp that has good power supply and will out put around the 100 watts that at least gives a 70% increase to 4 ohm, the speakers drop to 3 ohm at times.

Also try and find one that has HT by-pass as that means you will be able to integrate the speakers and stereo amp into any future 5.1 system easily. I think you'll have to add some more pounds notes to your budget as well.

This question may be better off in the HiFi Stereo amps board. I'll move it if you wish.

As above, for those speakers you need a top quality stereo amp, and if you skimp on the cost you are wasting some of the money spent on the speakers. You really need to at least double your budget for the amp.

Think of it like buying a Ferrari - you don't don't take it to the local back street garage and fill it with budget engine oil. You accept that in order for it to run properly, you need to spend heavily on the support package as well.

The more I’m reading the more I agree.

I was pretty much set on a rotel rsx 1562 to start with

Steer clear of AVRs. As per @gibbsy, you need a high end stereo amp with HT Bypass. Then when you are ready to go 5.1 or more, you will not need a massively expensive AVR.

Old technology which will limit your ability to connect any source that requires HDCP 2.2 as the unit is HDMI 1.4. No ability to pass through 4K signals, limited to seven channels, no Atmos capability. You would have to connect all video sources directly to a TV. Class D amp will be sweet with 100 watts into 8 ohms for two channels running. Will not be anywhere near that number when more speakers are added. It's a ten year old unit now so depends on what you're willing to pay.

That’s something I didn’t consider with the old stuff.

if I was to double my budget what would be a good starting point with plans to upgrade in the future

if I was to double my budget what would be a good starting point with plans to upgrade in the future
You might get more advice in the HiFi forum, you can ask Gibbsy to move it if you want. Here we are more AVR focused.

Or start with an AVR with pre-outs and a couple of power amps, adding a better pre-amp for music later. Your AVR can run the surrounds and centre and you can add another power amp for the centre when you get the Nautilus HTM1.

You'll have to decide on an integrated stereo amp or AV amp. Personally I'd go stereo amp with HT by-pass. There are members on the HiFi board that are very good a finding bargains on amps and your budget will get you more on the used market for stereo amps. New I wouldn't set my sights any lower than a Rega Elicit-R, Naim Nait XS3 or amps in that region.

So I decided to go with x2 audiolab 8200mb

just on the look for a pre amp now, swaying towards a Cambridge audio cxn v2 as it seems to kill 5 birds with one stone as I’ll mainly be streaming my music

I’ve done away with the av side of things for now

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom