Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3 Series Loudspeakers

Yeah I had a listen on Friday. More of the same really, but they were far more dynamic than the old 804s that's the key difference, apart from that the voicing is similar but the sound is better. Haven't heard the latest CMs so I don't know. I am waiting for them to get the other floorstanders in before I make proper judgement. Regardless of the 803s the 804s will be way better than the CM10. They are plenty better than the old 804!

Cool. So they are a better defined 800D2 then? Probably Nautilusesque then.

Heh heh, was gonna relegate the CM10s for surround duties. But I suppose if the 804D3s are better than D2s (not that impressed have to say), then they are an option. Slowly buildup the series...

If you didn't like the D2 then you probably won't like the D3. They don't change the way they sound from what I can tell (apart from they work with Linn amps) but are just better than the old model.

Are you sure you are looking at the right make of speaker of you don't like the D2s? The CM range sounds completely different. At least the S1s did and I don't think they changed the voicing in that respect just made them better with S2.

Don't get me wrong Tom. I like both the 804D2 and 805D2. but the CM10 runs them very close without that extra treble extension. Can't justify the price premium. But if they are better sounding, perhaps I could start with them.

I suppose at this level very close is a subjective matter. I can only go off my experience with the CM9 (which does use the same bass drivers and a similar crossover to the CM10) and say its probably a no contest with bass definition between the ranges. And this new range is even better. The bass is fast and tight compared to the old model which I find hard to believe. Dread to think what the 803 and 802 are like in this respect. I suppose the D/S series to Diamond was quite a decent jump is bass quality but them rohacell drivers do produce a great sound. The new stuff is meant to be the same materials but in a varying thickness rather than constant like on rohacell. So light where it can be and strong where it needs to be.

One thing that concerns me about the new 803 is it doesn't seem to have had as good a crossover put in it (component wise) compared to my 802s. Only the treble/mid crossover has the fancy mundorf caps. On mine all the crossover uses mundorf. Maybe they have got the benefits from elsewhere as to not need to bother. But it means there is a chance the 802 is a better speaker rather than just a bigger one. Like the old 803 vs 804, I had hoped that the 802 just brought a bigger sound and power handling vs the new 803. Anyway, can only find that out when I can listen to some!

The CM9s are notorious for having temperamental bass due to cabinet design. The CM10s cured that. Having an extra driver helped too!

Mundorf or not, I guess component matching is more important. Also the size of the drivers may mean the Mundorf makes little difference? Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

The CM9s are notorious for having temperamental bass due to cabinet design. The CM10s cured that. Having an extra driver helped too!

Mundorf or not, I guess component matching is more important. Also the size of the drivers may mean the Mundorf makes little difference? Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Well I suppose that may be the case. But if it was such a tight thing between them then they won't have been able to sell 804s which I don't believe has been a problem, and the argument for cabinet construction will always go in the favour of the 800 series anyway. I am actually amazed that those CM10s on the classifieds haven't sold in fairness though. Almost too cheap if anything

Well and the better caps may be down to power handling. But the 800D2 apparently had a better mid-range than the 802 because it had better caps in the crossovers. I have heard the 800 but not next to 802s.

Hmm, my impression was the 804D2s weren't that big sellers especially in recent times. Quite a few on ebay!

The CM10 pricing is a bit difficult on the used side. Last I checked, there were quite a few used 804Ds undercutting the CM10s. A little older, but given the choice, I know which I would go for!

And of course, B&Ws don't get plugged as much as the WHF and chain store favs. They did go quick when they first arrived according the dealers I spoke to at that time. So perhaps those who wanted a pair, or could afford one already have one. The introduction of the S2 doesn't help!

From my memory, I would say the CM10s are easier to live with. A more conventional sound. Not intrusive. The 804Ds have the Diamond "wow" factor which is marmite to some.

Judging from the commends on the D3, some of the edginess has been tamed and its more Nautilus-like.

The main issue for the 804 was the 803 being only £1750 more money for quite a bit better bass performance and sound stage. The sort of stuff that impresses in a demo room but get it home into a small room and a mistake has been made. And a lot of people won't realise it was ever made. 804 size speakers would suit me better but that head makes such a difference. I couldn't buy the 804 or 803 knowing how good that was.

The looks of the CM10 are one of its failings IMO. My mate wasn't interested in even demoing them because of their looks (or the tweeters look I should say) when he bought CM9s. I think a PM floorstander would have done better if it had been cost effective to make one (which I believe was the reason they didn't). But yes as you say, people buy the flavour of the month in WHF and that price range is dominated by other brands in their opinion. The 600 series gets enough press though. You just need to see almost every newbie on here is asking about stuff they see in there. Not being critical to them as we all have to start somewhere, and I was like that once, I just don't like one magazine having such a grip on the industry. You just have to see the chains adverts showing 5 star WHF as a reason to buy. I was speaking to the importer of a brand you have been a customer to and he was saying they weren't interested in doing them a review. Then a few weeks later he got a phone call from their marketing people selling adverts. And it was on the lines of 'we can sort you a review if you get an ad'

I subscribe to WHF. I am unsure why.

The new design looks very 'sci fi', and am sure the fit and finish will be impressive. Looking forward to seeing what the new 800d3 look like- the existing 800 are an absolute beast!

This was early September when I popped down for the dealer launch - as you can see, they're working hard! They even took on more staff...

This is a worldwide launch though, so most of this stock (and stock that has been made since March this year) was going abroad.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1444810977.972758.jpg

Wow so they are available pretty quick. UK?

Not the UK. I'm afraid to jinx it so I don't want to give too much info out. I don't think these were meant for retail yet and it is a fluke that the company has a few extras due to extra allocation. I don't think they it is anything sketchy on their part to sell them, but I don't want to create any waves until they are on my SUV.... LOL!

I've confirmed that they will arrive today at some point but because of scheduling issues on my end, I will have to pick them up Saturday morning.

Not the UK. I'm afraid to jinx it so I don't want to give too much info out. I don't think these were meant for retail yet and it is a fluke that the company has a few extras due to extra allocation. I don't think they it is anything sketchy on their part to sell them, but I don't want to create any waves until they are on my SUV.... LOL!

I've confirmed that they will arrive today at some point but because of scheduling issues on my end, I will have to pick them up Saturday morning.
Well enjoy them! And count yourself lucky!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom