Bowers and Wilkins PX7 Dissapointing Sound Quality

eome

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm new here and wanted to get your thoughts on a matter.

I recently bought some Bowers and Wilkins PX7 headphones. They were supposed to be an upgrade to my 7 year old Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. However I was disappointed to find that music on the PX7s sounded more muffled, less detailed and more processed compared to the Momentum On-Ears. I have been using the analogue 3.5mm connection on the PX7s with noise cancelling turned off so that should give the best possible sound quality and I listen to FLAC files on a Samsung Galaxy S10 using the Poweramp app. At first I thought I was being paranoid and it was because I had gotten used to my old headphones for so long but having done some back to back listening I am convinced that the same music from the same source sounds better, to my ears at least, on the Momentum On-Ears. It's not that the PX7s are bad per se, it's just that they don't sound as good as the Momentum On-Ears which are on paper inferior headphones (I was expecting the PX7 to be a marked improvement on sound quality not the other way round!). Do you think my PX7s might be faulty or am I being paranoid? Should I really have been expecting better sound quality? I appreciate that these things are subjective and it's difficult to answer these question without actually listening to the headphones but any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

The Sennheiser on ear momentum is a passive wired headphones? Why do you say the PX7 Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones on paper should have better sound quality?

Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones = pay a premium for wireless technology, noise cancelling, app support. That is not money going towards sound quality

The Sennheiser on ear momentum is a passive wired headphones? Why do you say the PX7 Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones on paper should have better sound quality?

Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones = pay a premium for wireless technology, noise cancelling, app support. That is not money going towards sound quality

The Momentum headphones I've got are on-ear rather than over-ear with much smaller drivers that's why I was expecting superior sound quality from the PX7 and as I've said I've been using the PX7 wired and without active noise cancelling.

The Bluetooth and noise cancelling features were not actually a priority for me but it seems to me like all manufacturers are including these in their top-end smartphone headphones whether you like it or not so when it came to choosing a new headphone to me it seemed like a choice between one of these types of headphones or an audiophile headphone which require a dedicated amplifier to sound at their best but maybe I missed something.

I have home demoed / owned and now sold older momentum and B&W models. B&W will be tuning the sound differently to Sennheiser if experience is to go by so with Sennheiser there will be more midrange and upper midrange clarity. You have not set out how the on ear momentum sounds 'better'. My suggestion is keep listening to the B&W for your brain to adjust but to ask for a refund within the returns window if there is no change in your opinion

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Not sure how long you have had the B&W headphones? I have the B&W PX..I would allow a little time for a run in period on the drivers, just the same as speakers, as the drivers loosen up, the sound will improve, less harsh, muddled etc...that's my take on my headphones.

I would allow a little time for a run in period on the drivers, just the same as speakers, as the drivers loosen up, the sound will improve
Or more likely as @Steven said, time for your brain to adjust.

Hi all.

I'm new here and wanted to get your thoughts on a matter.

I recently bought some Bowers and Wilkins PX7 headphones. They were supposed to be an upgrade to my 7 year old Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. However I was disappointed to find that music on the PX7s sounded more muffled, less detailed and more processed compared to the Momentum On-Ears. I have been using the analogue 3.5mm connection on the PX7s with noise cancelling turned off so that should give the best possible sound quality and I listen to FLAC files on a Samsung Galaxy S10 using the Poweramp app. At first I thought I was being paranoid and it was because I had gotten used to my old headphones for so long but having done some back to back listening I am convinced that the same music from the same source sounds better, to my ears at least, on the Momentum On-Ears. It's not that the PX7s are bad per se, it's just that they don't sound as good as the Momentum On-Ears which are on paper inferior headphones (I was expecting the PX7 to be a marked improvement on sound quality not the other way round!). Do you think my PX7s might be faulty or am I being paranoid? Should I really have been expecting better sound quality? I appreciate that these things are subjective and it's difficult to answer these question without actually listening to the headphones but any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

you should get a bit more audio quality if you connect via usb-c.

OP what did you decide to do? I've just gotten the PX7's and I'm finding the same thing. The mids seem muffled, like i'm listening to them through a blanket. Odd though as the bass and highs seem clear.

As part of my search for new headphones I've also got a pair of Airpods MAX here and the Audio technica M50xbt, both of which also have their own drawbacks. APM i find have a weird dip in the upper mids that make them sound a little odd, but more significantly I find their highly precise, clear, processed nature strips some of the joy from my music. I just dont get into songs as much on them despite being incredibly clear and precise. Audio technica's actually sound the best to me in terms of mids and highs, maybe a touch screechy in the high end, but they really lack the deep bass of the APM or PX7's.

I have two sets of Bose noise cancelling headphones, Apple AirPod Pro’s, a pair of Audio Texhnica ATH-m50x wired headphones and the HifiMan Sundara’s and I only use the Bose for flying. There’s no comparison between Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and wired headphones. It sounds like I’ve put socks over the Bose ear pads after going from the Sundara’s or Audio Technicas. You may need to send them back if you are looking for something better with music.

Hi. my B&W PX7 replaced my Grado SR325 as I wanted a closed earphone. I play cabled via newest version of bluesound powernote with flac files and find the sound quality more ‘blurred’ than with the grado’s. All noise canceling is OFF. I’m considering changing to another closed earphone at this price point. Would any of you have had the same issue with the px7 and would you have a good alternative for a closed earphone without all the bluetooth and noice cancelling? In fact I have a nice 2nd hand MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed version reserved. Thanks and regards.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom