Bowers and wilkins p5 headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nico, Sep 11, 2012.

1. nico

nico
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got or heard the p5s was looking into buying them
    And wanted to get some feedback on their quality they do look
    Amazing but what do they sound like
    Can anyone out there help!

2. Tom175

Tom175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They certainly look the part and are very comfortable. But after listening to them several times at John Lewis I felt that they didn't quite did it for me, especially at £250. At the airport Dixons had both the P5 and the P3 s. After a few minutes of listening to Led Zep , the P3s gave me what I was looking for. They also had a deal, less 10% 'duty free' plus a special £30 off if you bought a camera. So I got them. So far really pleased and I have started to listen to songs that up to now I had ignored on my iPod. The P3 aren't perfect, the don't cutout noise as good as the P5s, nor do they fit as well. But they give that extra bit of excitement , that I thought the P5 were lacking. Just my personal take on them

3. LFC4TUNE

LFC4TUNE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The P5's are better hands down compared to the P3's. The price of the P3's sounds better tho hey Tom?

4. utopia13w

utopia13w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    P5's all day long! They have a much more refined sound in every aspect.

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I haven't heard/tried the P3's but I have and use the P5's daily, here's my very unprofessional view/thoughts.

I have the P5's had them for about 6 months-ish, I use them for listening to Flac on the laptop, MP3 on my iPod classic and used occasionally with my Cambridge Audio amp to listen to CD and DAB I haven't had many good headphones to compare them to coming from Klipsch S4i on the iPod and some AKG's used with the amp and laptop. As soon as I used/tried them I could hear the difference, I tried a pair set local John Lewis store and after trying other phones, kept going back to listen to them, even with what I consider the worst source I have (iPod) music sounds clearer, less muffled the bass does not drown out or boom over everything and I am hearing instruments/sounds previously lost with other phones. Over time/use the sound has IMHO got better, they came with 2 interchangeable cables the iPod/iPhone remote cable and a plain cable, both are 1.2m which is fine for using with the iPod but a bit short for my needs when listening via the Hi-Fi for this I got an extension cable which I plug the straight cable into, the remote cable suffered from cut out /pops when used with the extension cable the straight cable worked perfectly. I listen to various styles of music from classical, ambient, electronica, rock, indie in fact most types and they sound/work well with all styles, the leather pads make them very comfortable to ware for long periods and although they are on the ear they do a good job of cutting out the out side/ambient sounds. a Recommendation from me :)

Pros
    looks
    build quality
    sound
    comfort

Cons
    cable length, they could have supplied a longer straight cable
    for some cost, £250, for me it has been money well spent.

Curly

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. LFC4TUNE

LFC4TUNE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I agree Curly99.
    I've done the same with Senn's , AKG and Philips cans/Iem's.
    Great €300 spent for my P5's and my UE TFI 10's are my Inear seconds.
    Good ALAC tunes to go with them and your laughing.

7. noisemaker

noisemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My exp with them is not very positive. The looks is great, but the sound: bass is not well defined, and veiled sound.

8. Adam K

Adam K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the P5's and have owned them for a good few years now and they really do feel like they have worn quite badly. I'm not sure how they would feel to someone who has never picked a pair up before, but the way the earpieces can be angled is now very loose, the earpads have got very very soft, and overall they just feel like they need tightening up. The sound still sounds as great as the day I got them though.

Replacement earpads are expensive, and the iphone remote cable has broken on the actual remote bit where the plastic has split and I can't seem to get hold of another cable to replace it.

I did listen to a pair of P3's with a view to replacing my P5's, but after listening for a while i decided i'd rather have a well worn pair of P5's and wait till I can listen to the new leather clad sennheiser's that I saw on engadget which look like a direct competitor to the P5's.

More expensive I know (HMV have them up for £260 to pre-order), but for anyone considering the P5's take a look at these... Sennheiser Momentum Headphones: Wrap Your Ears in Leather and Steel

and a review of them i've just found... Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review

9. utopia13w

utopia13w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Momentum's are in stock at selected JL stores, I know this because I have them :)

10. Adam K

Adam K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can I ask what JL store you bought them from? Might have to go and take a look tomorrow.

just seen on the JL website that i could have them delivered to my local store for Friday, but would like a listen first.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  11. utopia13w

utopia13w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Stratford branch have them to listen to if you ask the guys in that section.

12. beanoir

beanoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I generally find that many people believe the P5s are a better headphone because they cost more money, which quite often is true, but not in this case. The P3 sound better, far more exciting and better definition and separation than their bigger brother. So most people end up leaving with a pair of P3s.

Hardly surprising given the the P3 uses newer drivers and I wouldn't be surprised if B&W revise the P5 at some point because in my experience the P3 is massively outselling the P5 now, and for good reason too.

There is a plus side to the P5 and that is a bit more comfort, but most people buying these type of headphones do so with portability being high on their list of priorities rather than being a set of the living room per se, so it doesn't seem to bother most.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,580
  14. quadpatch

quadpatch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I preferred the P3 when I tried them both in the Apple store. I think the P3's are mostly better for not having such a warm signature, which of course gives them more detail over the P5. Beats fanboys should go for the P5 for sure. I do much prefer the comfort of the P5, just not so much the sound. If only my VModa M-80 was this comfortable - crossing my fingers for the M-100, although it's an over-ear, it's not that big... now that's a sexy headphone!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. CourtneyBrooks

CourtneyBrooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0