Bowen Therapy

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Fat_Tony, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Hi Folks,

I only usually post in the techy sections but I thought I would try here to see if anyone knows anything about Bowen Therapy?

I had spinal surgery on a protruding disc about 5 years ago - it seemed to sort me right out but now the problem has returned very severely. (Although its a back issue the pain is in the top of my left leg, and feels like nerve type pain)

The doctor referred me to a physio, but the NHS has to follow its own guidelines and it means weeks of pointless physio before I can get back in front of the surgeon who fixed me before (I say pointless only because ive had so much in the past and it simply doesnt fix my problem)

Yesterday someone mentioned Bowen Therapy (friend of a friend etc had tried it and claimed it was a miracle cure) It certainly sounds interesting but im naturally sceptical. Ive booked a session locally tomorrow - just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it?

Thanks

2. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    I guess thats a no then,

Ill post back with how I get on incase its of interest to anyone.

Reading independent reviews is a real mixed bag, some people swear by it - others think its just a placebo effect. Im not one for hippy bs fads, and if they so much as mention energy healing channels etc ill be on my way. My problem is so severe that however much I wanted it to be better, unless it physically changes me then I wont be "conned" into thinking there is improvement. I cant currently get my socks on myself or make it up the stairs without shrieking like a little girl.

The general consensus is that you need at least 3 sessions to fairly judge it, so ill do that much before I rulle it out I guess.

3. tbc

tbc
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I popped two discs a few years ago. Physio was useless for me personally. Had some Bowens treatment and it didn't really help that much. It did however cure a long time shoulder issue which was muscular pain.

For back I would say perhaps try, if you have any other aches or pains I would say definitely.

4. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    I went along for 2 sessions and got nothing from it, then the day after the 2nd session I was hospitalised in agony. Im not suggesting its related as I genuinely dont believe it did anything. He spent more time out of the room than in it. The touches were so light that to me I would have to believe in magic for it to work.

They seem to play down any mentions of "energy fields" etc in the literature so ive been left feeling fairly ripped off. I left a message cancelling my 3rd appt and questioning the legitimacy of it all (he literally assured me that everyone has relief after the 2nd session, if not the first) So it will be interesting to see if he calls back to defend his profession.

Im now left with having to pay privately for a consult nd an MRI scan as the NHS cant do anything for months and in the meantime im about 80% disabled in my legs.

5. tbc

tbc
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds like a complete different therapy to my experience. The touches were hard and painful when she ran her thumbs over, especially when getting rid of the 'knots' in my muscles. I haven't heard anything about energy fields...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    It could well be that the guy was a fraud. I had heard so much positive info, although most that I read said it was far gentler than even a light massage.

7. tbc

tbc
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think you should consider going elsewhere, just to compare. Mine was particularly painful because of the extreme pain I was already in but like I said, it certainly cured my shoulder pain.

8. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    I probably will at some point. It might just not work for everyone but the fella doing it didn't inspire much confidence.

9. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,685
    Hi mate I did a favour for a friend while she was training for the Bowen technique. The only trouble is I didn't have a specific problem at the time. I was under the impression though that it was a therapy for muscular problems but I may be wrong. She said I would feel light headed afterwards and when she basically rolled each muscle over just once I thought no chance. But when I stood up I did feel light headed. I felt ok afterwards but as I say I didn't have a real problem just tired legs from running.

10. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    I did get the light headed feeling but I imagine I round get that anytime after being so relaxed for 40 mins lying down then quickly getting up. I would probably see someone else before ruling it out.

The guy I saw never rang back after I suggested it seemed a bit of a con so I'm not sure how good he actually was.

11. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,685
    Yes either a sports masseur or a physio would be best.

12. tbc

tbc
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You are absolutely correct, it is for muscular problems. When it comes to a 'bad back', the reasoning is to ensure the muscles supporting the affected area are working correctly.

The talk of 'energy fields' above must be confused with something else perhaps.