1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bourne Identity SE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MS-Yam, Sep 3, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought this new disc. There are two versions on the disc, original and extended explosive version. Problem is, when I select the extended version in the menu, there are no subtitles on screen when there should be (like there is on the original).

There is only a small amount of foreign language in the film, but it's still bloody annoying :mad: anoying enough to stop me watching it!

Does anybody elso own this disc, and is it the same on yours? At first I though I had a problem with my DVD player!

Also, let me know your opinions on the extended version.

Thanks.

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Didn't buy it, because there didn't seem much difference to the initial release. Bit of a cash in, if you ask me, coincidentally, released around the same time as the sequal hits the cinemas.

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi.

I reviewed the R2 SE recently - review - and thought the different beginning and ending did nothing to enhance the movie at all. As for the subtitles... I didn't notice this! If you let me have a time in the film when the subtitles are meant to show but don't I'll check the disc I have to see. :)

Sigs

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I haven't seen the SE version but,

Two bits I can remember is where the policemen wake up Bourne when he is sleeping in the park. There is also a couple of subs when he goes in the bank and writes down the number for the box.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i had this and it played fine with subtitles when i selected the explosive edition, i ended up geting rid of it as i didnt like the player generated subtitles and the r1 has burnt in subtitles

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sigismund,

Ok, about 10 mins into the film, Bourne is talking to himself in French, asking himself who he is. But there is more foreign langauage a bit further into it.

Cheers!

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    MS-Yam - Hi :)

I've just checked the disc I have. After choosing the extended version I fast forwarded to the bit on the boat when Bourne is talking to himself in French and where he's woken by the Police in the park... both bits generate subtitles for me ;)

Maybe you've got a faulty disc, or maybe your DVD player is a bit "picky"! I know one of my DVD players wouldn't play the alterative ending as part of the movie, even though the beginning bit was OK.

Sigs

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sigismund,

I've just tried it in my computer DVD drive... it's my DVD player! :eek:

I tell you what mate, i'm absolutely sick to death. I'm on my third DVD player in about 8 months now, they all seem to have summat wrong! First a Pioneer, which I sent back twice cos of the same problem, and it was crap in general, then I upgraded to a NAD, which I was dissapointed with. I expected a nice 'quiet' machine, with smooth working mechanisms - picking up a CD/DVD was like listening to a building site! So... recently having read MANY raving reviews about the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D I thought... this is the one! Surely I wont have any problems with this! Got it home all excited. Excellent first expressions.. until I looked at the faulty remote! Took it back (the whole machine), now this! Yes the build quality, sound, looks, are all fine, but this just aint good enough.

I even thought, what if I bite the bullet and go for a much higher end model, something like the Denon 2200 or even 2900. But recently i've even read bad reports about these high end beasts. Vibration problem, DVD-A problems etc.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned reliability?? For me, it seems these companies are more concerned about gimmicky, pointless technology, i.e. JPEG features, MP3 etc.. rather than reliability. All I want is a machine that plays DVDs to a very high standard of picture and sound quality and I will be happy! :zonked:
    Greg