Boundary changes review.

Gavin Williamson would be a casualty.
I am shocked…

“Who are the winners and losers?
The Conservatives are set to gain between five and 10 seats when the suggested changes are implemented, according to Tory peer and polling expert Lord Hayward.”

Funnily enough, there will be…10 new seats..

Isn’t it normally called gerrymandering? 🤷‍♂️

43B8BB30-E4EF-4769-9629-39EF2E51F8CD.jpeg

Long overdue. From what ive read it’s to even out the number of voters in eaxh constituency etc etc.

Disappointing the number of MO’s is not being reduced. Could save a few quid.

Though, money really does grown on trees now so no savings needed, ever, again.

Long overdue. From what ive read it’s to even out the number of voters in eaxh constituency etc etc.

The constituency I’m in (which has been Labour for a long time), isn’t very large but is being split three ways and merged with three larger Conservative seats.

I can’t speak for the whole country but it certainly looks like opportunistic gerrymandering from here, unless you think it’s entirely coincidental that the 10 new seats formed are likely to all go to Conservative.

No idea if a coincidence or not. If it evens up the numbers so be it. Course who decides where the new boundaries are has a bearing I guess.

As said, we were promised a reduction in MP’s. 650 lol. Such a big gravy train.

I couldn’t give a **** though. Never voting Tory (and of course not Labour either) ever again anyway.

Looking at it, for where I live, it seems they are proposing to add loads of surrounding villages to my town's constituency and change it from a swing seat to a safe Conservative one.

No idea if a coincidence or not. If it evens up the numbers so be it. Course who decides where the new boundaries are has a bearing I guess.

It's gerrymandering.
In a word: mixed. Some MPs will find themselves in safer seats sitting on bigger majorities, thanks to swathes of voters who normally back their party joining their constituency. These politicians, however, are likely to keep their heads down – not wishing to crow or appear callous to less fortunate colleagues. One secretly pleased MP in a swing seat said they were “very pleasantly surprised” an area of traditionally hostile voters was being siphoned off to another constituency.

No changes to the number of MP's with this boundary review, that goal was dropped I think after the last two attempts at redrawing the boundaries were abject failures. Which might be the same fate this boundary commission faces.

I couldn’t give a **** though. Never voting Tory (and of course not Labour either) ever again anyway.

I doubt many will care about it. Boundary changes are more of a worry for the MP's who have to scramble to become the candidate for new constituencies.

They're proposing to add several rural parishes from a neighbouring safe Tory constituency to my Con/LD marginal.

They did the same thing last time, and added some Tory-voting wards to the neighbouring city constituency, which is a Lab/Con marginal. It didn't work though, the Labour MP got re-elected with a bigger majority.

Every government does this when they get into power. Blair did it, and if and when the next Labour government get in, they will do it too.

Gavin Williamson may be a casualty, as Rapa Nui has said, so it can't be that fixed in favour of the Tories...can it.

I wonder if the Guardian asked the same question when Blair did it.

Williamson and Hancock are dead men walking. Covid sacrificial lambs.

The Wicker Man will still have a use after the Festival of Brexit.

Finchley and Golders Green becoming Finchley and Muswell Hill, which he said would flip it from a seat held by Tory whip Mike Freer to a Labour gain.

Another possible Tory casualty

Last edited:
Gavin Williamson may be a casualty, as Rapa Nui has said, so it can't be that fixed in favour of the Tories...can it.
According to the same article, the proposed 10 new seats could all go to Conservative. I think that’s a larger gain than losing Williamson, who’s useless.

If you don't mind me asking, who would you vote for instead?

What are MO's? Medical officers? :)

Oh, just realised you meant MPs!

By population I hope!
You could cut down the number of MPs by making all constituencies the size of Ross, Skye and Lochaber. Then there would only be 20 MPs across the UK.

One thing puzzles me. At Westminster there is roughly one MP to every 100,000 constituents, while the Welsh devolved Parliament (the Senedd), with fewer responsibilities, has one member for every 50,000 and there is discussion about increasing the number of members from 60 to 90 (one for every 35,000).

By those standards England looks drastically under-represented!

One thing puzzles me. At Westminster there is roughly one MP to every 100,000 constituents, while the Welsh devolved Parliament (the Senedd), with fewer responsibilities, has one member for every 50,000 and there is discussion about increasing the number of members from 60 to 90 (one for every 35,000).

By those standards England looks drastically under-represented!
I'm not sure the voters in England are crying out for more politicians!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom