1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought the Tiny 42"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mep, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    If I had found this site first I probably wouldn't have. Firstly, the screen does have a problem, it seems to be triggered by bright colours or fast picture changes. The problem is that you then get a distortion in the picture, sort of a split picture...like you cut a photo in half and pasted it back together badly. It also sometimes struggles with close ups on faces seeming not be able to manage the colours so that you end up with people looking cartoony! This only seems to happen on my Sky+ connection. The dvd (component) is much better. Although that makes it sound pretty bad in fact the picture when its not doing this is very good. I phoned Tiny to complain about the problems and they have told me that they will exchange the panel for another (door step swap....they bring new one when they collect existing one) so hopefully that one will be better (also worth noting that I didn't buy one of their £15 or £20 support packagages and as they agreed so quickly to the swap (without being asked!) I imagine this must be a known problem to them).
    So basically I would agree with the comment i saw elsewhere here saying that if you were buying a second plasma the Tiny would be ok, and if its all you can afford it's ok too....but if you can pay more I would suggest you do!
    Hope this helps.

2. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    There is a store down the road from me with a Tiny plasma. We have now heard reports of several people with similiar problems to yours. The interesting thing is that the one in the store has no problems at all, and the picture, whilst not the most contrasty, is better than Dixon's cheapest plasma from techwood.

It makes me wonder if what they advertise is not what they actually sell.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hmmmm could be someting in that....the other thing that puzzled me was they have a 28 - 35 lead time when you order these screens new yet when I phoned them to complain about the problem on 23rd Dec they said I'd have replacement on 7th Jan....how does that work? Still if they do what they say and this one works I'll be happy......i'm just not convinced it will! :)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    When you buy a plasma screen, you don't just buy two sheets of glass coated with phosphor. You also buy all the electronics required to convert the TV signals into the signals required to drive the display. It is sheer folly to expect to pay £500 less, and get the same quality electronics as in the more expensive models. Corners will have been cut.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Wise words mate :) I would aslo add to that don't buy one on-line after an afternoons drinking with mates.....still it's only money!

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problems with my Tiny 42" so I think I will give them a bell and quote this thread, and see wht I get...

Now, that £999 Argos Goodmans 42" seems like a good idea, it even has a DVI socket...

Haha hahahahaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Wheres me wash board?

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    good idea mate....I see they are now advertising on TV so I suspect they wont want their reputation ruined more.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    have also now found the problem occurring on some dvd's too!

9. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    This may be nothing to do with your Tiny Plasma but crappy bitrate programmes from Sky.....very common, the fact that it's not as bad from DVD kinda backs this up......although the quality of recorded DVD's also varies greatly.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    so you think the colour issu e would still exist if I got a better panel?.....I used to have it running through a Sharp 32" television and although some colour probs exisited....notably the handling of the green for a rugby or football pitch which look very unrealistic and is definitely a sky issue...it was no where near as bad on anything else. I suppose the other thing is that it doesn't matter how good your sky box is or the links between sky and your screen as you still have the signals comong in through a crappy bit of coaxial!

11. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My Hyundai 42" did that as well (faces & fog seemed a funny colour)only with Sky+ really thought I'd made a mistake buying a "cheap" plasma set :oops:

But yesterday I went out & got one of these SCART Sync Separator

The Sky picture is now much better,colours seem right now ,even black & white is black & white (not the strange pinkish it was) :clap:

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hey thanks for the tip buddy! do you then connect to the 15 pin vga input?

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I went for the QED Q-Sync (http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/qsync.html) it was not cheap at £150 but it makes hell of a difference to sky+ picture quality. Thanks again for the tip Freeman, I didn't even know these things existed! :thumbsup:

14. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, before I get put on hold for an hour with Tiny customer services, I think I will also invest in one thse fellas as I believe it is a sync problem rather than the panel. Once you start reading up on it on the net, its seems more likely that its shat quality sources.

Please let me know how you get on - keep bumping this thread otherwise it will be drowned by the Panasonic/ Pioneer lot who all have far to much dosh... :smile:

15. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,813
    Someone was trying to tell me that the Tiny plasmas uses Panasonic parts,anyone know if this is true?

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Tiny probably use resistors made in the same Chinese factory that Panasonic buy from, but I don't see what that actually proves ? Putting Rolls Royce wheel nuts onto a Ford will not make it anything else than a Ford.

Quality TV's do not need addon sync separator boxes and other gizmos because they are already capable of handling the signals fed to them. How anyone can spend £500 less on a plasma screen and then blame it on Sky is laughable. I don't see anyone with good quality screens complaining.

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Nick, you are right of course, though your attitude is quite rude, I expect that better quality screens do improve sky by their handling of its signals in much the same way that a good scart sync seperator witha decent amplifier does. The point being if you haven't bought the best screen around to start with you then have to do what you have to do to improve it if you don't want to dump it and start again.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    The scart sync seperator definitely improves the sky picture, whatever Nick says, but it wont get rid of the split screen distortion which is definite fault with the panel.

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    They apperently use Samsung panels.....respect for the Lazy Boy Chair! :thumbsup:

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Please do not put words in my mouth. I'm amazed how you can accuse me of being rude, and then make a personal attack in your next post. I didn't say that a sync separator would not make a difference. What I said was that the majority of good quality TV's don't need them. Tiny has a huge reputation - pity that it is not a good one.

21. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am pretty sure they advertise it as using Samsung technology

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Nick, I didn't put words in your mouth or make a personal attack on you...at least I didn't mean to (sorry)....you clearly know your stuff inside out and back to front but you have to be more forgiving to those less knowledgeable and to those trying to make the best of what they have. Certainly next time round I will buy a much better panel as clearly having to buy add ons to get a mediocre screen closer to the quality of a good one is not the way forward.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I do sympathise, honestly. I have spent half my life spending money to try and make budget systems work as well as the "one I should have bought". I know it's all too tempting to go for the cheaper item when funds are short :)

24. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    actually the most annoying thing for me was that funds aren't particularly short, I just had it to get it past the wife :) my logic was to get one in as the first battle then when I upgrade to a better model it will be much easier!

25. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    OK, tomorrow was due to be the day that they switched my faulty PDP for another. The following email from me to them today should explain what has happened. You will note that I have been surprising polite!

mail follows:

"I have had a problem with this screen from new and it was due to be swapped out tomorrow (7th Jan 2005). However, I had a call from one of your people today telling me that you had been discussing this distortion issue with Sky and believed that the issue was to do with progressive scan. He further recommended trying the panel with Sky disconnected which I did and on DVD didn't get the problem though it was always less on DVD anyway. He also then said that rather connecting Sky via the scart I should try the RF connection (in fact I was connecting via the 15 pin input anyway using a Scart Sync Seperator).

On checking, my panel does not have the RF input board fitted, there was just a cover plate fitted where it would be. I phoned back to explain this and after waiting in a queue for 20 minutes spoke to an idiot who insisted there was a RF panel...he didn't seem to understand that just because there should be one that doesn't necessarily mean one was fitted. In the end he put me on hold and after 10 minutes I assumed he wasn't coming back. I have not been able to get back through to you since. I also suspect that these calls to you are costing me a fortune which seems totally unfair.

Please advise how you wish to proceed."

end of mail.

As it happens having unplugged Sky from a direct connection to the panel and viewing it via my Panasonic DMR-E55 dvd recorder which is connected via good qulaity component leads to the panel the problem has not yet shown itself.

I'll keep you informed!

26. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hmmm...has happened a few times now,,,,tiny are still impossible to get hold of.......even when you do get through their technical staff are not technical and I suspect that English is not their first language......keep well away from this company if you value your sanity and don't fancy a call centre related heart attack!!

27. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    HA! I finally managed to convince them that the RH board was not fitted and so they are replacing the panel....but now on teh 27th when they originally were going to do it tomorrow....sadly I don't expect new panel to be much better...but we shall see......in the meantime....buy anything but a tiny!

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    go for a refund mate and get a proper plasma

29. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I think I may just stick this in the family room for gaming and get a decent one for the main room...I guess I will have to try their replacement before going down the refund route though..............It's like dealing with a black hole and the thought of any more contact with them is horrible...but i wont let them off as a matter of principle.

30. THEROCK

THEROCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the electronics inside the tiny 4200 plasma is samsung and pixelworks.