Bought the Panny E30. Think I should have gone Philips.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Messiah, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Bought myself the E30 yesterday but as always happens with me wasn't till I set it up that I suddenly thought it would be nice to be able to loan friends disks without having to finalise them. That I now realise is something extremely difficult with the E30 so think I should have gone the Philips route to enable me to loan out DVD+RW disks and then get them back and re-use them.

Anyone else have issues such as this or how do others use theirs? I know I can just give them a finalised DVD-R but that wastes time and (albeit small cost) a disk.

I wonder if the shop will swap it? :blush:

Also, anyone know if there is any possibility of a future firmware upgrade which would enable the E30 to write to DVD-RW disks. Now that would be just gr8 but knowing my luck it will never happen.

Cheers.

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Loaning out discs is a sure way to having them in a state of destruction sooner rather than later. DVD-R media are cheap so why not record to a DVD-R disc and loan that out instead.

The Panny is a first class piece of kit and I would not consider trading one for the +RW format. Each to his own I suppose.....

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yeah, know what you mean. I went ahead and swapped for the Philips thinking you could simply record to a DVD+RW and take it straight out and play in a PC DVD ROM drive (or DVD player).

WRONG. Does not work, not on my PC anyway. Bu**er it. Wish I'd kept the Panny now. That'll teach me (again) for being so hasty :mad: Never mind. Could probably do witha s econd one in a few months so will get the Panny (or latest equivalent) then.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Messiah. Good isdea! get the second machine as soon as you can afford it. You won't regret it. I have just purchased an E30 to go with my E20. Archiving is now a dream come true.....Malcom

5. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Malcolm's right; why loan out discs? DVD-R are now 49p each off the web; dvd+r are still aroudn the £3 - 4 mark...

The functionality of the E30 is way above the Philips; be happy!

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. I'll enjoy the Philips for the time being and order up an E30 very soon. I thought the cheap discs were proving problematic for many people though? Are you saying the 49p discs are working well?

Cheers

7. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've only used cheapos, and only the Bulqpack discs gave me a bit of trouble; ie I've had 3 failures out of 80 discs so far...

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Messiah. The cheap media can be problematic with some machines. It seem that all Panny's are not quite equal with regard to disc compatibility. Some are lucky and get away with using the 50p stuff others (Like me) are not so lucky). My E20 is quite picky while the E30 is perhaps a little more tolorent.

Even so I think you will find at present that even the dearer DVD-R media like TDK and verbatim are still cheaper than most of the +RW stuff available at the moment.

I have most success with the FWS brand and more recently on the E30 with Traxdata DVD-R. Verbatim at about £2-65 are fine. The Traxdata and FWS are about £1-10.

I haven't tried the very cheap stuff in the E30 yet! Although a review I read said the E30 was tested on 50p discs without problem. Malcom.

9. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got the E30 today and all I can say is Wow. Just finished archiving a vhs tape in sp mode and the picture on the DVD looks better than what I started with on tape. Using Datasafe classic for DVD-R and so far so good. Finalised DVD-R works like a dream in my Pioneer dv545. I'm a very happy man to finally be able to do away with VHS.:D :D

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Ah well. I'm stuck with the Philips now so will just make sure I get my monies worth and enjoy it. Don't feel quite so bad as the E30 I took back cost £490 (locally) and have seen them for sub £400 online. I have therefore saved almost £100 which will go towards an E30 soon :D

Then I'll have the best of both worlds.

11. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i love my e 30 !!!! and would only change it for the hs2 .worth looking at selling the phillips and getting this for say £750 with the cash you were going to get for the phillips.

yippee

12. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would have liked the HS2 also, but at double the price I just couldn't afford it. Just finished recording 2 NTSC SVCD onto a DVD-R, again I'm really happy with the results. I think I love my E30;) :)

13. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, just to add a bit of balance, I love my Philips 890 and wouldn't swap it for a Panny E30 or HS2 for anything. Only model that tempts me is the Philips DVDR 1000 MkII.

I considered the E30 before getting the 890 and discarded it because:

- much lower compatability in other players with R/W media
    - neither Panasonic nor any shop (nor these forums) could confirm or deny whether the E30 supported multiple PAL systems (eg PAL I in the UK, PAL B/G in most of Europe). I needed this and a quick call to Philips confirmed the 890 did support this.
    - cheap availability of the 890 from websites that would ship to Portugal (E30 was next to impossible to find on the net from anyone that would ship to Portugal).
    - easy remote control region hack on the 890, E30 requires chip mod.
    - chasing playback and other time shifting trickery were not important to me.
    - I could get a demo record/playback quality of the 890 in several London shops (when I was visiting). Couldn't find anyone with an E30.
    - I prefer to buy European, all other things being equal.
    - E30 looks like a home electronics kit assembly :D, 890 looks just gorgeous.

Since I've had my 890 it's been great. Nothing to complain about at all.

Michael.

14. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Keeping the balanced view however,

RAM is now included in the new DVD-Multi standard for new players next year, and with write once media at 49p each, is re-writeable compatibility that much of an issue?

Panny is indeed specific to PAL I in the UK, or PAL B/G in Europe, and it's lack of multi region is indeed annoying.

You'll not miss the benefit of chasing playback until you've experienced it; Chucking in a RAM and recording when you're not quite ready to start watching a programme, but want to start it half an hour later... It is the very best thing about the Panny and we use it all the time.

Availability is there, but Philips are certainly more on the ball; but that's irrelevent to the machines specs...

Looks are very personal; I think the philips machine is faceless!

Ian's 2 pence...

15. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can the philips 890 be remote hacked for multi region inc RCE Straight from the box?
    If so think I will get this and forget the Panny E30.

Thanks dts......;)

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes it can. PM me if you want details.

17. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    890 is remote hackable to multi-region but the hack won't let you play RCE titles. You can however set it to a specific region (eg region 1) after which RCE titles will play fine. Of course you then have to switch back to Region 2 or multi-region to watch other (non region 1) films.

There are some other 'tricks' for getting RCE titles to play which don't require re-hacking.

Also, just an FYI: allthough the hack is a remote control hack it can't be done with the remote that comes with the 890. Need to use something that can send specific RC6 codes (like a OneForAll 6, Philips Pronto etc).

There are countless threads on DVDPlusRW.org about the hack and RCE tricks. Do a search.

Michael.

18. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Will post this in a separate thread aswell but DVDPlusRW.org has a firmware upgrade for ALL Philips DVDR machines available:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/firmware_download.html

Doesn't add any features for 880 and 890 but is claimed to resolve some 'stability' issues (of which I haven't experienced any with my 890).

Michael.

19. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    So the Philips machines are unstable then...?

(grin)

20. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi....I'm new on here so be gentle with me:)

Anyway, I decided to register to get some advice on which DVD recorder to buy. I had already decided to get either the Panny E-30 or the Philips 890 and thought I might get some advice. But having read some of the replies I'm more confused than ever. I'm very tempted by the Panny but would like more compatibility as well as multi region. I was impressed by the fact that recordings made on the Panny play on the old Alba so hopefully they will play on my 3yr old Lecson. If that's the case, I could always hook both up to my tv as the Lecson is multi region and I've never had a problem with it. I'm probably muddying the water's but I really do need some advice. Also, where and for how much for can I buy the discs needed for either recorder and are they available at PC fare's. Thanks in advance for any help.

21. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    As it's post number 1...

This is a recurring question and a quick search will give you hours of fun reading.

The panny does not seem to do the multi region thing easily, but like you, I have an additional player. Format wise, the dvd + / - r discs are bang on equal in compatibility with other players. DVD+RW is a less known entity, and RAM, at the moment, has no compatibility, but does have much greater functionality over DVD+RW. DVD-r discs are as low as 49p; dvd+r are much more...
    The panny has totally replaced my vcr and I utterly love it; for me the chasing play back of recordings is easily the best thing; it might not be so important to you.

Suggest you read through the countless posts in this forum...

Cheers,

22. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply m8. Gonna find out more about the DMR-HS2.......I just don't want to end up a Betamax victim.

23. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You won't end up like Betamax, as the actual discs are the same size, most players will ultimately read all formats, and a finalised dvd-r or dvd+r will play on most players, as they turn in to dvd-video discs. The only possible redundancy is if dvd+RW becomes forgotten, or RAM; and as RAM has been around for over 5 years in the PC world, it ain't going nowhere...

Don't get too wrapped up in the formats; go for the specs and what's important to you.

Ian

24. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice. I like the i-link on the Philips but can work round that if I get the Panny. My brother and brother-in-law are after dvd recorders so if we all get the same sharing and swapping discs won't be a problem. Things are starting to get clearer.

25. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The original DVDR 1000 machine and the subsequent 980 and 985 all suffered a number of 'stability' and other problems, pretty much all of which have been resolved AFAIK. The later 880, 890 and 990 machines haven't had any major problems allthough some people have had occaisonal spurious 'bad disk' errors (I haven't).

I didn't know this when I bought my DVDR but it's nice to see that the Philips machines have user upgradeable firmware and the Philips makes firmware updates available quickly and easily.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd by an 890 over an E30 any day. It has totally replaced my VCR and it's excellent tuner has much improved my TV picture quality.

Michael.

26. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    (Malcolm's right; why loan out discs? DVD-R are now 49p each off the web; dvd+r are still aroudn the £3 - 4 mark...)

Wrong http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/erol.html 10 dvd+r for £11.49 datawrite discs from datasafe very good quality.

http://www.lordofthedeals.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_media.html Infiniti dvd+rw from £3.25 a disc compare that to the panasonic ram media and it might be just a little cheaper.

Prices on +r and +rw are falling all the time i have an r drive in my pc and any disc i have used under a pound has usually been a coaster.

27. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dazzer123

Are you refering to DVD-R on your PC?
    If so, what writer are you using?

My Pioneer 104 hasn't turned out a single coaster yet and that is with it using discs which have been as cheap as .49p each.

The reason I chose an E30 was because of the success I have had using the DVD-R format on my PC. The DVD-R discs I have written on the E30 and the Pioneer104 have been 100% compatable with the 3 Pioneer dvd players I have in the house and that really is the only criteria that matters to me.

I don't know if any of the Philips models are any good or not as I didn't try any of them. And I would never say buy an E30 over any of them as I am in no position to judge the Philps machines.
    Best thing to do really for anyone considering any bit of kit really is to audition it yourself. It's the only way to be sure;)

28. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the Better recorder the philips 890 or the panny e30?
    Philips web site is crap.....:confused: can the 890 time slip? site says it has Component rgb! is it the 3 RCA plug type?

Just need it for:

1. recording Sky Digital
    2.watching multi region dvds
    3 cd.cdr & mp3 playback
    4.Digital picture viewing

is this the One4all 6 way remote needed for making the 890 multi region,please see attached file.

Thanks Again

dts......;)

Attached Files:

29. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    1. recording Sky Digital - E30 or 880/890
    2.watching multi region dvds - E30 hardware, 880/890 remote hackable
    3 cd.cdr & mp3 playback - 880/890 only
    4.Digital picture viewing - HS2 only (?)

So, guess you'll have to decide which bits are most important to you.

30. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Duvel

I have a pioneer 104 in my pc and have used bulkpaq and bulkpaq gen 3 revision 2, gen 4 2 speed discs some silver top's all under a quid they write fine but stick them in my philips 980 panny xv10 or pioneer 444 and they either stutter or wont playback, now i use only traxdata or datasafe discs which are manufactured by ritek at around £1 a disc theese are ok but you can now get +r discs from datasafe for around a pound i am not impressed with r and wish i had a +r writer instead.