bought the LG 50PX4D PDP tonight

gilbates

well we have been thinking about a change for ages now , maybe 4 days i kid you not :) so the Mrs researched prices in general and what was good and bad but we thought we`d go up to currys tonight and see what size would look good in the front room and also see what the picys looked like on various plasmas ...within 10 mins the LG stood out from the crowd , yeah your right settings on the others types of leads used , BUT the LG stil had an excellent picy

over comes the sales lady , had a chat and bought it , got a free stand and HDMI leads all for £ 2358.93 the stand was the Serano s1050 , i didnt fancy putting such a big TV on the wall :eek: and yes i know the stand is for up to 42" but if it brakes i`l blame them coz they threw it in with the deal .....maybe some bricks and a plank will suffice if needed :)

all i gota do now is get rid of my humping great Philips 36"

come on world cup i`m ready :thumbsup:

Danno194

Standard Member
You won't regret it (hopefully !), I've had mine 2 weeks and I just gaze in wonderment at it each day. I actually find I'm getting up earlier and going to bed later just so I can watch it - and all this without even any HD yet ! (Sky HD booked for May 23rd)

I did the same as you, looked around in all the stores and actually felt quite guilty that the best screen by far to my eyes was the LG. As I said two weeks in now, and I just love it more and more.

Happy viewing !

gilbates

if everything goes according to plan i pick it up this alvo m8 :) my next biggest problem is cables ....my old 36" philips has a great base that is enclosed with glass doors and all ya see is the front of my seperates ....the new stand is all glass , yes it has the obligatory rear cable tidy but i have 2 sat boxs one being a 36 v multi sat system the other Sky+ , 2 dvd`s and RF booster

due to the way the cables come and go to my Home cinema system via optical they wernt quite long enough to go right to the back of the current setup and so come in by the side of the base and the in to my DVD via the shortest route

there is a miriad of fully wired gold plated Scarts (damn thick ) Optical , RF and 36V dc cables which arnt thin .....i`m looking forward to the challenge and also dreading it ;)

Danno194

Standard Member
I know what you mean, I dreaded re-cabling my set-up (in the end it was a great opportunity to start again and simplify some over complicated connections I'd created years before). I actually got a kick out of pre-planning everything. The plasma was delivered while I was at work so I had someone house sit for me, but it meant everything had to be ready the night before.

Cabled and labelled everything ready for the big day ...

Attachments

• cables.JPG
    cables.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 740
  • cables2.JPG
    cables2.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 958

gilbates

good job m8 , i may post some picys when i get time , i have everything cabled but there is stil a plethora round the back no matter how hard i try to hide things , i`m not finished yet though , stil got some setting up of devices to do and test before i finaly slide it back to its permanent position

one thing i am struggling with though is the Sky + remote code ??? i cant seem to find one ??? is there one ???

all the codes i have tried thus far have proven fruitless , inc goldstar and zenith

also is there a way to either rename the AV channels to what device is connected OR assign a analogue or digital channel to an AV source , if i ever find a Sky + code it would be alot easier to select an AV source with the Sky remote just using the up down channel change button on the sky remote as it dosent have an AV source select dedicated button

any advice ??

ps
jeez its big aint it .....when i got it home me and the mrs just laughed .... its even bigger at home than in the shop

Danno194

Standard Member
Glad you've got it in the house, you're right - it's a beast for size!! Virtually taken over my entire room (and don't even get me started on the size of the box it came in - which I've been told to keep for 4 weeks in case I need to return it !)

Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to help...

gilbates said:
Sky + remote code ??? i cant seem to find one ??? is there one ???

I haven't found one yet, and l've been looking through similar postings here and no one seems to have found one I'm afraid.

gilbates said:
also is there a way to either rename the AV channels to what device is connected OR assign a analogue or digital channel to an AV source

No and probably no I'm afraid. The AV sources can't be renamed, so we just have to remember what's on AV1, AV2, AV3 etc - and no, without some very clever plugging there's no real way to assign channels from the tuner onto the AV inputs.

A couple of things that are buried deep in the manual though.... all the scarts are both inputs and outputs. I can't remember which way round they are but for outputs one provides the output of the DTV freeview tuner, one the analogue tuner and one the output of the monitor no matter what you're watching.

Also, don't think it's lost your settings when you switch through the AV sources, it seems to remember the settings you last had on that source. So for instance if you had AV1 on a 'normal' setting, and AV2 on 'dynamic' they'd change as you go through.

I'm only about 2 weeks ahead of you, but anything I can help with, just yell.

tpm45

Banned
Do you guys use low settings,or do you just fire away with the best picture settings. Ive read on other posts about the first 200 hours its best to set your plasma to a given setings point. Does this mean your picture is kinda dark for the first month or light,until its set the the default makers settings.

Hope this makes sense, as you do learn as you go along. Good luck it seems a huge plasma for the money. Would be interested in what you have to say in a few months time.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Danno194

Standard Member
I know other forum members will slate me for it, but no - I've gone straight in with normal settings. There's nothing in the manual about a run-in time, and having it on the low power setting does make it look very dark (and therefore defeat the object of buying such a gorgeous screen), so I may well live to regret it but I've gone in as normal.

Don't know if you know the LG picture options, but I have avoided the top one 'Dynamic' - just a bit too bright and edgey for me, so at least I'm not pounding it with the strongest signal.

The only moan I would have is that it seems to suffer quite badly from posterisation. A quick search on the forums will show though that that's not unique to LG and more than anything seems to be caused by low bit rate on satellite transmission (another reason to keep my fingers crossed for May 23rd - my install date for Sky HD).

About 2 weeks in now and I'm still in lust with the screen.

M

masterhulk

Hi Chaps
I have ordered one of these bad boys but want to put it on the wall
does anyone know what wall bracket i should use for this monster??
any help would be greatly appreciated

ta

Peter:D

Danno194

Standard Member
masterhulk said:
anyone know what wall bracket i should use for this monster??
Sorry, I went for a table stand for mine, well, I say stand - it's more like scaffolding for this beast !

gilbates

sorry mate cant comment on bracket size as its on a stand here :)

as for darkness on normal untouched colour settings .... i have exactly the same thing , it is dark for sure , BUT if ya mess a bit its easily resolved and the picy is awsome ...OK i`m no afficianado and i`m sure some would say ya aint got a clue mate but to my eyes when you take the time to play a bit it realy is great , personaly i`m trying to run with original settings for the picy for a while at least , keeping contrast and brightness at 50 % and colour somewhere around 32%

one thing that does seem to work well is the XD option which enhances the picy , all in all we are massively happy with the set

oh and its so nice to have extra source inputs on the back , now i can have all my kit connected without plugging and unplugging at the side source like i did with my CRT

although to be fair i am using the side input source on the LG for my Windows media Centre connection , which needs sorting here on my Pc , sooo much to do and play with ..... I LOVE IT :thumbsup:

and 1 more thing we seem to be struggling a bit with the AR on different DVD`s , dont know why but some just refuse to look right , the picture looks too squashed down and people look short and fat , have messed with tons of settings on the LG and the dvd player but as yet i cant seem to resolve it ??

Attachments

• plasma.jpg
    plasma.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,392

Danno194

Standard Member
gilbates said:
...the AR on different DVD`s , dont know why but some just refuse to look right , the picture looks too squashed down and people look short and fat
The only thing I can think of, is that the LG memorises your last AR setting, so if it's set say on 16:9 for one and you put in a 4:3 it'll still squish it to a 16:9 setting. You say you've played around with this though, so I guess you've come across that. I must say mine seems to be fine, haven't had any problems at all with aspect ratio.

tpm45

Banned
Was watching a bit of footy on the old CRT, about Barcalona and up pops Deco the Barca midfielder. Well he's waffling on about Barca'a chances in the Champions League, whilst sat on his sofa at home, watching TV.

So the camera pams back and their it is, a 50" LG.....all that money,mebbe 70grand a week and this guy has a LG Plasma.......

just like yours, nice choice lads.

gilbates

tpm45 said:
Was watching a bit of footy on the old CRT, about Barcalona and up pops Deco the Barca midfielder. Well he's waffling on about Barca'a chances in the Champions League, whilst sat on his sofa at home, watching TV.

So the camera pams back and their it is, a 50" LG.....all that money,mebbe 70grand a week and this guy has a LG Plasma.......

just like yours, nice choice lads.

heheheh , and me and the Mrs took ages researching and studying these devices .....as i said above , about 8 mins from the first time we ever saw it to the pen on the paper :devil:

ya gota love interest free :suicide:

i`m stil not used to it .....hahah its soooo effin damn big :) everytime i walk in the room i glance round and ...JEEZ thats big :)

n0chex

Distinguished Member
gilbates said:
sorry mate cant comment on bracket size as its on a stand here :)

as for darkness on normal untouched colour settings .... i have exactly the same thing , it is dark for sure , BUT if ya mess a bit its easily resolved and the picy is awsome ...OK i`m no afficianado and i`m sure some would say ya aint got a clue mate but to my eyes when you take the time to play a bit it realy is great , personaly i`m trying to run with original settings for the picy for a while at least , keeping contrast and brightness at 50 % and colour somewhere around 32%

one thing that does seem to work well is the XD option which enhances the picy , all in all we are massively happy with the set

oh and its so nice to have extra source inputs on the back , now i can have all my kit connected without plugging and unplugging at the side source like i did with my CRT

although to be fair i am using the side input source on the LG for my Windows media Centre connection , which needs sorting here on my Pc , sooo much to do and play with ..... I LOVE IT :thumbsup:

and 1 more thing we seem to be struggling a bit with the AR on different DVD`s , dont know why but some just refuse to look right , the picture looks too squashed down and people look short and fat , have messed with tons of settings on the LG and the dvd player but as yet i cant seem to resolve it ??

Your a brave man ............Must be some weight on that thin piece of toughned glass " Things that go BUMP in the night "

tpm45

Banned
At the price they are going for I fancy one,but not just yet,wife wants new kitchen.........keep us informed as to reliability etc etc

Danno194

Standard Member
tpm45 said:
...keep us informed as to reliability etc etc
Will do !

gilbates

as if we need encouraging :smashin: :thumbsup:

one thing i will be totaly honest about is SIZE yeah its 50" it looks great in the shop , get it home and .....oh my god what have we done :eek:

dont be seduced by its sheer proportions , my front room is 30 feet long and we thought the size wouldnt be an issue , getting it in and sighting it was fine , watching it however is another matter , where i sit and lets face it we all have out fav seats is now wayyy to close approx 9 ft away , the sofa is against a side wall and cant go back any more , the other sofa where the Mrs hangs out which is at right angles to my sofa is approx 15 feet away and its just right , so if you sit closer than 13-14 feet from the screen , trust me its too close , we now fight for the best spot on the Mrs sofa

like i said DONT be seduced by its size in honesty i rekon we would have been better off with a 43 " or something , ho hum ....i aint takin it back thats for sure :thumbsup:

oh and last night i ordered some Van Damme component cables to hook up my dvdr to the LG , i`m all excited again :)

grid8400

Standard Member
Hi all..

Im thinking of buying a LG 50PX4R is this one the same as the D ???
(i'm from the netherlands, and can't find sh*t about other people who have experience with the Lg 50PX4R, only thing you hear is about the pioneer 436 blabla and the pana 50 that.. but not a word about the LG 50PX4R)

Have watched it in the store, and it looks just very cool :) but just wondering about user experience..... does it have probs like the pio 436 with burning of logo's and stuff like that??

gilbates

trying to use the Harmony 885 with the LG and all my other seperates as yet not much joy in the makro/activity side but if you wana read and are trying with more success than me with input selection and wana add some help , have a look for me ( gilbates )in the remote section :hiya: and throw some pointers in

gilbates

:thumbsup: i`m pleased to say that the Harmony 885 works well with the LG had a few niggles to start with concerning input selection but after phoning Harmony support in Canada they sorted it out and all is well , i also asked if they were going to update there web site with the correct descrete codes for input selection and they said they`d look into it ....like a hole realy:D

asidmax

yippeeeeee......i get my LG 50PX4D on thursday.... cant wait, already having sleepless nights :D

got a good deal on it in comet, £2419, tv, DVD HD recorder, 5" lcd tv, stand and delivery :smashin:

asidmax

PS...

will i need to run it in for 200hrs+ before i start uping the contrast an brightness??????

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones