1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought the gear ... now to connect it ... but with what?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by glimball, Nov 22, 2004.

1. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally took the plunge and bought Arcam AVR300 and DV79, Monitor Audio GR20, Gold centre and Silver rears and FB210 sub-woofer. Projector Infocus 7205 ..... still researching screen. But cables!!!! How that's changed over the years.

I've had the following advice from a retailer ... anyone tell me if it it makes sense in terms of nature of cables and qulaity level?

'use the analogue output 2 channel of ARCAM dvd/cd to feed the regular CD input in your rec. and use the digital coax output of ARCAM dvd/cd to feed the coax digital input of your rec. for home cinema multi channel .

This arrangement will give the best in both worlds music and film .

suggestions , all are wireworld products .

1) atlantis 5 intercon. 1.0 m pair with solstice speaker wire 3.5m pair biwire
    OR
    2) equinox 5 intercon. 1.0 m pair with oasis speaker wire 3.5 m pair biwire

Centre channel you must select the same speaker wire from the two choices above .

Rear channels: luna 5

Advice and comments appreciated otherwise it all sits in boxes for a little longer and I can't bear the thought of that.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906

I have a different DVD player and amp to you but it is connected as per your quote. The odd thing is that CD reproduction in stereo sounds much better when output via the digital co-axial cable which I assume is because the DACS in the amp are better than in the Pioneer 656a

I can't help with the cables themwelves but wonder if the dealer might lend you some to try out if you have spent that much at one place

3. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You could try CD replay with the digital cable and see what you think, if you're not happy with the sound then demo a few interconnects. I've had a CD72T via QED silver spiral interconnect into an A85 for 2 years. Earlier this year I added a P85 and was convinced (at the time) the improvement was worthwhile. The front pre-outs of my AVR100 were attached to the fixed gain tape input of my A85.
    I then read a post on here about the audio dac of the AVR100 being essentially the same as the CD72T so decided to have a play around. I used an old Pioneer 350 DVD player which has a transport thinner than the cheese on a service station burger and actually wobbles when you are putting a disc in. I popped in a CD used the digital co-axial cable and was suitably stunned to find the sound quality was excellent - a slightly less refined (more exciting?) sound compared to the CD72T. Replacing QED SA cable for VDH CS122 added some of the refinement back, has as replacing the 350 last week with a SONY RDR-GX7 recorder (bargain at £285 from PRC direct).
    My speakers are Kef Concerto 1 and although I'm not much of a techie I think they are easy to drive so I removed the A85 and P85 and to be honest just using the AVR it sounded the same if a tad slower with some discs. I've read that the AVR100 is comparable to the A65 and that your AVR300 is comparable to the A85. Your speakers are in a different league to mine, you may find just the one cable is sufficient for your needs. I suppose the best way is to try, and the advice the dealer gave sounds good and presumably based on the dac in the player being better than the dac in the receiver, I don't know what they use but you will be able to find out on this excellent site. There's a lot of great posts from John and Andy from Arcam too. HTH

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Your dealer's advice as to what to connect via analogue and digital is IMO correct with the AVR300 and DV79. But you can always try variations for yourself, or get your dealer to connect it all up; it's up to you! If you also want multichannel DVD-Audio you'll need 6 rather than 2 analogue interconnects and you should use the analogue multichannel input on the AVR300 and set up the DV79 to do bass management for DVD-A, and CD too if you wish.

I have no views on what cables to use BTW - a bit of a minefield :)

If your system is 5.1 rather than 7.1 you can use the spare channels on the AVR300 to bi-amplify the front L and R speakers. It is a useful improvement. Don't forget to remove the links on the speakers though if you want to try this.

John Dawson (Arcam)