Bought the Garmin 410 and hate it!

BOUMSONG

Novice Member
Firstly, it has the worst interface I have ever seen! I cannot work out how to do anything.

Secondly, the instructions are totally crap. I've put the heart rate monitor on but have no idea how to actually measure my heart rate. I don't know if the device is paired or not?

I'm going to throw this piece of garbage back in the 1980's where it belongs. It reminds me of an old cheap tamagotchi device or something...

BOUMSONG

Novice Member
It's lost satellite reception 3 times in half an hour just testing it in my house.

How do I just set the damn thing to measure the pace I'm running at, show distance + heart rate? There's far too many weird options everywhere. It's like a poorly designed scientific calculator or something.

EDIT - I think I will have to go back to using my iphone and runkeeper. It gives you audio updates too

EDIT 2 - Just lost signal again. Pathetic. £130.

Last edited:

evilash

Sorry to hear you're having more than a few issues with the 410! :( have to say the bezel is a nightmare but you do get used to it! I used to have the garmin 405 for a few years but then decided to go all out and got the garmin 610 :thumbsup: have to say its almost perfect and I use it a lot! 80 plus miles last week not a single issue :)

evilash

Ps using it in the house isn't going to help with the GPS! I don't get a signal indoors either! It is designed to be used outdoors!

BOUMSONG

Novice Member
I'm maybe overreacting. I'll try it out tomorrow running. But I'm not sure if I'll have worked out how to use the damn thing...

This thing honestly has the least intuitive interface I've seen on a portal piece of electronic equipment since the blackberry.

BOUMSONG

Novice Member
ok so I've figured out how to start a run timer thing on it. The default layout shows time, lap/pace and distance. How do I include heart rate?

Nebbs

Heart rate will automatically show when the heart rate monitor is worn, but you can also add it to the 'layout'. Its an option under Settings, Data Fields.

At work at the mo so trying to do this from memory.

Once you get used to the options and set up all the fields to your preference it becomes second nature. As for satellite/gps location i just start training mode and set it on the window sill by the time i've laced up my shoes and had a little stretch i always have gps lock on then its just a case of hitting start when ready.

lord-dudester

the user interface on the garmins isnt the best but you do get use to it. ive had quite a few and i have to say the 410 is the worse ! the 610 or the 910 are where you need to be. much easier to use and the GPS reception is loads better

BOUMSONG

Novice Member
Yeah, I went for a run and it worked fine. I just expected it to be a bit more impressive considering the money. But as long as it does fulfills its purpose.

One thing I've got used to on runkeeper is it shows both your current pace and overall pace. The garmin only seems to show current pace and not overall?

The overall pace is good to know if you are meeting your target or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom