1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought Tannoy R-Sub15

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by epgs1, Dec 8, 2003.

1. epgs1

epgs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Tannoy R-Sub15 for just over £300 from Windows Newcastle upon Tyne. This item is a fairly collosal monster weighing in at 38Kg. I now tried it coupled to a DVD source directly and via an AV amp. The results in a 5*5m room are pretty amazing. The volume of air that this beast can move is really enormous and feels pretty close to a good cinema sub-base experience.

I haven't tried listening to music via this box, I don't think it was designed or built for this purpose, but it is great for extra low frequency cinema effects. I have compared it to a Richer Sounds Eltax Thunder 10, which is quite decent for £70. While worthy of the £70, the Eltax struggles much more to produce detail in the ELF effects and can in no way shift the same volume of air. With both devices you can hear the effects, but with the tannoy you can feel them.

You can probably do better for their normal full retail of £700, but at £300 I consider them good value for money. As a bonus, they are very nicely finished in real wood rather than plastic.

Cheers
    Graham

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I noticed that you were previously unsure of whether to go for the cheaper mx-10 sub or the one you have now. I have gone for the cheaper option to match with my Tannoy 609II/623 set up for now as I plan to upgrade at a later date to something if needed.

The sub is due to arrive tomorrow so look forward to trying it then.

There are reviews of both subs at www.digitalhomemag.com.
    The mx-10 sub is reviewed as part of a package and there is an individual review of the sub that you have.

You may also like to look on www.audioreview.com

3. epgs1

epgs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Mudan. I guess the reviewer didn't think the sound was that great. However, I suspect that the perceived sound of these devices is VERY dependent on the listening environment. I am not interested in using the device with my CD audio system, but only for DVD LFE, so ultimate quality is not critical. I suspect that most LFE are totally artificial and are purely engineering for entertainment, so I am not going to be too critical of any over exuberance of the speaker.

Thanks
    Graham