1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought Panny PW6 - Now What?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Senrap, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Everybody

Done the deal and bought the PW6 with scart terninal board. Despite scouring the posts on the forum I am still really not understanding what goes with what. I have a Sky + Box and Toshiba DVD player (which I may replace with a DVD recorder). Everyhing is linked by scart through a Quintro + Controller. At the moment the 2 rear speakers from the surround sound from my old tv are connected to the Panny.

I am thinking about getting something like a Yamaha RXV650Ti Amplifier and
    Canton speakers.

I don't think there is a scart terminal on the Yamaha.

My question is can I connect this amplifier by other means and if so how.

I hope this question isn't too stupid and any advice will be much appreciated.

2. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehehe join the club...by the time you do figure out if you need composite boards, rgb connections, bl@@dy teas made machine etc etc You`ll not only have a working TV but a masters degree with honours!

3. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah, tell me about it!

Everytime i think i'm beginning to get a handle on it I read somebody elses posting it makes me realise I've got even less of a clue than I thought.

I'm sure some kind forum member will sort me out.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your Toshiba dvd player has component video outputs on it's rear panel, then I would buy a component video board to slot into the rear of the PW7, and connect the dvd player to this input. It will almost certainly give better results than connecting the dvd player to a scart socket.

You can then connect the Sky+ box to the plasma's scart socket. As both the dvd player and the digibox will be connected directly to the plasma there will be no need to route their video signals through a receiver. The receiver will then be used purely to process sound signals and can be connected as normal.

5. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Fatbob

That sounds good. It's actually a PW6 but I guess the advice remains the same.

So what you are saying is I won't need an amplifier just get a speaker system.

Would I connect the speakers to the Sky + or have I totally misunderstood what you have said.

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

To get sound from a PW6 you have two options. There are speaker terminals on the PW6 which will allow you to connect speakers directly to the plasma, but the manual states "be sure to use only the optional accessory speakers". Whether or not using speakers other than those designed for the screen will lead to problems, I don't know.

By far the best option is to use a seperate amp or receiver. This will give much better quality sound.

If you were to use the Yamaha RXV650Ti as your sound source, I would connect your system like this:

Toshiba dvd player

Sound Coaxial output on rear of dvd player should be connected to the coaxial input on the rear of the receiver.

Picture Component output on rear of dvd player should be connected to the component input on the rear of the plasma. Also make sure that the dvd player is configured in it's setup menu to output a 16:9 signal.

Sky+ box

Sound Optical output on the rear of the Sky+ box should be connected to the optical input on the rear of the receiver.

Picture Scart on rear of Sky+ box should be connected to the scart socket on the rear of the plasma. Also make sure that the Sky+ box is configured in it's setup menu to output an RGB signal, as this will result in a much better picture.

Hope this helps a bit.

Fatbob.

7. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your advice fatbob. Much appreciated.

I'll go for it as you suggest.