1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought Panny 55 But.......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daylightfading, Feb 11, 2005.

1. daylightfading

daylightfading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But reckon I should have avoided it. Main reason if you have other dvd players in the home that cannot play ram discs then you have to record on to - discs which although relatively cheap is a bit of a pain.

Quality is superb and for use with ram discs on the same panny great.

Flexibility unfortunately not.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    That's why you should read up and do a bit of research on a product before parting with your hard-earned cash. :lesson:

3. lcfctom

lcfctom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But... If you know you are gonna use the disk in other DVD player then record it onto DVD -R which the Panny supports and if you haven't or aren't gonna use it on another machine then DVD RAM is great quality, really flexible, records in 16:9

Also IMO the Panny is great value with RGB recording and pass through which is ideal when used in conjunction with SKY+ and for less than £200 great value

What makes this world great? Opinions !! :thumbsup:

4. daylightfading

daylightfading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant agree more about the quality but the ram flexiblility.....no. Its only flexible if you have a player to play it. I dont want the hassle of re-writing it on to a - disc.

With regards to reading up. Read up for ages but still decided to stck to a panny as I have 2 5.1 pannys already. Unfortunately the older model SCHT70 doesnt play ram discs (strange its only 3 years old) so just goes to show that thinkgs change in a short space of time.

I'll use the panny as a second recorder but will purchase another for the main one.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Maybe you should read up for ages and ages this time :) you might then come across the basics.

For basic DVD recorder advice have a look at my 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature :)

6. lcfctom

lcfctom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry should have been clearer, I meant as far as editing and adding Chapters is concerned.

7. daylightfading

daylightfading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think you can spend too much time reading up on these things. You buy something if it works great if not thats the way it goes. Fortunately these recorders are now within many peoples budget so its not the end of the world.

As I said its a cracking machine for ease of use pitcture quality etc etc but Ram......not for me this time and will use as second machine.

8. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to get another DVD-RAM machine, an ES10 when it comes out. I am archiving all of my films to DVD-RAM, I can then burn a copy to DVD-R (or +R if I prefer) as required.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    10 minutes reading up on a subject or spending £200 on something you don't want :rolleyes: tricky decision. :suicide:

Seriously though I would suggest you either return the E55 as it's clearly not what you want. However if that's not an option, or you just wish to buy another DVD recorder, then why not consider something like the Toshiba RDXS32? This machine has DVD-RW recording and is also compatible with DVD-RAM so will work with your E55 recordings as well.

10. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will buy the E55 from you if you are interested in letting it go for £100 or so :)

11. daylightfading

daylightfading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good option for another machine.

12. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the sensible thing bought the E55 panny, then thought it would be rude not to buy a E27 panny DVD Player for £40 that plays RAM and throw my Philips player upstairs in the bin ;)

Chris