1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought Panasonic LV 50 Mini DVD player with Screen

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by Jazzartist, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks .

I was wondering for some time about Portable DVD player with screens . Well I have bought Panasonic LV -50 . This ones excellent DVD player with lots of feature . Its has 5 Inch wide LCD screen with great picture ,it has S video In . Dolby Digital, and DTS . The battery is rechargable and you can play it for about two and half hours. It is charegeable 300 times . You can also use it with car adaptor and Electricity . It is also good as standalone DVD deck which can be connected to TV and AMP .The small size is not a problem when you get absorbed . Its a great companion when you are Dinning, Travelling by Rail or Air and on Long drives or want to enjoy a movie all by yourself . The Good news is this can play DVD Ram and DVD R Disc and on top of everything its Multi Region . I paid around $ 460 . By the way what Portable DVD player you are using and waht are its features ?

Jazzartist

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer a laptop for mobile DVD'ing - bigger screen :eek:

Tablet Ed. PC - now that'd be even nicer - no keyboard on show.

3. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer ,

Yes Laptop have bigger screens but what you will be missing is it dosent have the Svideo in or Optical out and it will also not work as a stand alone DVD deck.

Jazzartist

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan Silly,

What Laptop you are using ? How much you paid for it?Please explian how you can make DYS/ Dolby Digital connection using your Laptop?

Jazzartist

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads of current laptops have spdif output - pass DD5.1/DTS to an external home cinema receiver.

Or as Nathan has said, easy (& cheap) to get a USB adapter to do the same.

I'd never consider using a portable/laptop for "fixed" DVD playback - no where near as good as even a cheap dedicated player.

Going OT now though...check out the HCPC forum for more info...

:)

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a Acer..paid about £950 (new)

Toshiba also have S-Video output, but only on the Pro range.. so quite expensive (Same spec Acer/Tosh laptops- and the Tosh's are more expensive)

A cable from the USB port plugs into the sound box, and then optical cable from the sound box goes into a AV amp...here's some higher end USB sound box's (one accepts DD/DTS)

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk

Look for Xitel & Xitel Pro

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Well sense dictates a PC is better all round but these damn things are simply brilliant.

Switch on and go, none of this booting up and waiting to get into software etc etc. screens are optimised for dvd viewing as well. Laptops are also quite big for portable DVD viewing and can eat up power.

I have both but I have to say there is definitely a place for a Portable DVD albeit a bit of a luxury.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My main reason for obtaining an LV50 (as a gift for too many years' service) was its physical size. The tradeoff is a small screen, yes, but it is hugely more portable than a laptop PC (or another 'walkman' with a larger screen, even). Yes, it only plays DVDs, CDs, MP3s, etc etc - and doesn't run all sorts of software for other purposes, so, yes, it is much less 'flexible' but, then, all I want it to do is play 5 inch discs. And it does that, just fine, in a package not much larger than three or four CD cases.

10. Oskins

Oskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have an LV50. We take it with us when we go on holiday so Her in Doors can watch what she wants to on the plane. I also got the bigger battery as well and noice cancelling headphones as there is a lot of ambiant noise on planes. Keeps the grand kids quiet in the car also

11. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oskins ,

What bigger battery are you using ? Are using something other then the ones made by Panasonic ? Whats the cost of the Battery . Do you play this player using car battery adaptor ?

Jazzartist

12. Oskins

Oskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jazz

I use the Panasonic one that lasts about 4 hours as well as the 2 hour one. Cant remember the cost dut was about £45. I bought it at the same time. Never used the car adaptor thingy coz I never gave it a thought. :smashin: