1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bought new samsung PS42S5HX

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johnhy, Aug 28, 2005.

1. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    hi all im new to this and just bought the samsung yesterday got quite a good deal and it all looked good in shop, now I'm waiting on delivery and as usual getting nervous lol.
    Did i make the right decision etc is everyone happy with this model? And Ive read people talking about "running in" their set.What does this mean?

2. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    anyone?

3. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnhy, I am happy with mine. There are actually quite a few threads now on the SD and 5H, so you might check these out for more info. As for running in, my understanding is that the picture on plasmas may take time to settle down. In other words, you need to use it for quite a few hours to get the best PQ out of it. I'm not an expert and so more knowledgeable posters might have a different explanation. All I can say is that the PQ on the 5H might seem a bit too bright and coloured when you have it , but you can change the settings and after a while the colours seem to become better (i.e. more realistic). I've had mine for over two months now, so I think i can say its run in and the PQ is better than it was originally (perhaps though I've just got used to it). Overall, I'm pleased with it. The PQ does vary with the quality of the Sky feed though, but when its good its very good.

4. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    thanks any chance you could leave me details of your settings
    thanks

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    running in usually means turning contrast and brightness to relatively low levels (below 50%) and taking off any silly picture enhancements (dont know with the samsung, just set stuff to normal!).

after 100-200 hours you can then set the brightness/contrast to what you want (best to get a calibration disk eg DVE or AVIA)

this is basically a precaution as screens are most susceptable to screen burn in the first few hundred hours.