Bought new frounts..now subs too loud ?

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought some new mordaunt short 902 frount speakers to replace my mission 701 frounts.

I set the levels using my spl meter and left the paradigm pdr10 subwoofer a few db's short of the other levels.

my problem is when listning to music this morning i noticed the sub is far too loud, even though the levels are set correctly.

this problem didnt exist with my mission 701's which are about twice the size of the MS's.

If i alter the sub to sound good with music surely that would mean that the level would be too low when watching dvd's ?

other than turning the sub off on the amp's menu, is there any other way of adjusting the level to sound good with music and dvd's ?

cheers

Are you sure the fronts and sub does'nt play in the same frequency range? Then you'll get duble opp of bass.
Is your fronts set to large or small?
Bass set to front & sub,or sub only?
I get to much bass if i have the sub on and use the Direct or pure direct modes on the amp. The range from 40-80hz will be played by both the sub and fronts, because in direct mode the fronts are automaticly set to large and if the sub is set to on you get to much bass.
I set the sub to off in Direct and Pure direct and use high level connection and crossover at the sub set to 45hz.
Hope this is of some help to you.

PS. My amp is an Denon AVC A11SR, front speakers B&W 604s2 and REL Q400 sub.
Your amp may differ in the setup.

Hi magking,

my frounts are set to small and the crossover is set on the amp to 80hz, so everything below 80hz is output from the sub.

i didnt have a problem with the same setup when i had my bigger mission 701 speakers ?

cheers

Which amp do you have?

Is there no way to set the SUB and LFE levels independently (ala Sony)?

Were the 701s set to small as well?

One of the problems with this sort of issue, is that each amp manufacturer seems to deal with bass management in their own way (presumably depending on which chipset they've used in the design). They don't seem to be able to write their user manuals in a way which makes understanding them easy either!!

Some amps allow you to store settings for each input independently, others allow you to store settings for each soundfield mode independently, while others use one lot of settings for everything. You could argue all day about which is best.

The key to it all, is understanding exactly how the amp you have does it's bass management - and it's not always easy judging from some of the manuals I've seen. That's where forums like this come in handy (plus the ability to read Jinglish (Japanese English) :)

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I have a pioneer vsx-859 amp .

Not sure what you mean by setting the sub and lfe level independantly ?

Yes the 701's were set to small also, but they were a much bigger speaker compared to the MS 902's i now have.

i will have another fiddle around today and see what i can do.

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom