Bought my first enrty level system and have a LFE question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by smcshaw, May 2, 2007.

1. smcshaw

smcshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had a few all-in-one 5.1 solutions in my past and have finally bought myself an entry level seperate AV Receiver and Speakers.

I've got a Yamaha RX-V359 and a set of Tannoy EFX5.1.

Now I'm pretty sure I've set it all up correctly. (Well my ears are happy).

I've set speakers to small and 'bass out' to Subwoofer only (rather than both). The satellite speakers handle 140Hz to 78kHz and though I haven't seen a way to set the exact crossover point with the Yamaha I'm presuming this will be fine.

On the subwoofer I've set the Phase Switch to 0 degrees and Crossover to AV/LFE.

The one setting I'm not sure of is on the receiver I can set the 'Low frequency effect level'. I can set it between -20 and 0 dB and it allows me 'to adjust the output level of the LFE channel according to the capacity of your subwoofer'.

Now I've read the faqs in the sticky and looked over the specfications of the subwoofer and can't quite work out a) what this setting really does? and b) what I should set it to?

One of the specs does say 'Frequency response (-6dB) : 45Hz - 140-Hz' and I'm wondering if this -6dB is the number I'm looking for.

Hope someone can help this poor first timer.

2. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the LFE effect level on the receiver is just the volume of the .1, it just adjusts the volume, obviously you can do that on the sub too. but usually that setting can be different for stereo than DD, that way you can fine tune the volume of the sub for each. (assuming your amp sends a sub signal in stereo mode)
    if your ears are happy then i would leave it where it is.
    G

3. smcshaw

smcshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. I'd presumed it was something much more esoteric. As you say, as it all sounds good to my ears I'll leave it be.