Bought LG OLED C7 from Currys in 2017, 5 year warranty with KnowHow.. severe burn in, am I screwed?

Durzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious to know what people's thoughts are on this... I bought a LG OLED65C7V back in late 2017 from Currys, and at the time it came with a 5 year KnowHow warranty. It was quite an ordeal just getting the documentation for that warranty, involving me having to email the CEO of Currys, etc to chase it.

Anyway, ~4 years later and it's fair to say it's had a lot of use. Despite my best efforts trying to get others not to leave it on a static screen, it's pretty much impossible when kids are involved. Long story short - I have some serious burn in...

Has anyone had any success at all trying to get something like this dealt with under warranty? I haven't paid any extra on anything that KnowHow have provided, and I've never previously made a claim with them.

The photos below are of a solid red screen, incidentally. Other solid colours are better, and the kids, etc don't care either way. To be honest in my head I've long since written off this TV as been dead to me as soon as it started to develop burn-in.. it's basically impossible to get family members to give a crap about this stuff.

The close up shots aren't as bad as they appear in the photos, that's some sort of artifact from photographing it with my phone. It's still bad though.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_4994.jpeg
    IMG_4994.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 445
what does your warranty say? does it mention burn in is covered? - obviously if you have a warranty still in effect. i would contact them. don't mention the word burn in (just in case they say that's not covered. and get an engineer around to have a look. - the only place i know that officially covers burn in separately in a warranty is john Lewis at the cost of £140 quid. other warranties are a little vague over this issue.

I'm sorry to here it though mate.

I don't think I ever got the warranty documentation. I had to email the CEO just to get a letter to say that I was covered.. prior to that logging in to the KnowHow website didn't show any warranty in force. I can't even do that now because it seems the KnowHow website doesn't let you view your warranty status, etc online anymore.

I’m in a similar situation, and currently waiting to hear if my TV will be repaired. I have Talksport burned into the middle of my screen, mainly visible on a red background. I didn’t mention this when contacting Currys, but told them about a light patch on the edge of the screen, which is visible on green and yellow backgrounds, which is extremely annoying.
I phoned them Saturday, and TV was collected Monday, and is in the workshop, supposed to be back to me this coming Monday. I’m hoping they replace the panel, will keep you informed

Thanks.

How old is your TV if you don’t mind me asking? I presume you had to go through KnowHow as well?

I think I bought it in May 2018, just before the world cup, and yes, I went through Knowhow. They took me through the usual checks, like unplugging TV and doing a pixel refresh, but I had already tried that, so it was quite a straightforward process in the end, to have it taken in, they had my details, without having to quote any policy numbers

Thanks. Will give them a try tomorrow then.

I bought a LG B6 OLED from Currys.
After over 4 years it developed a small amount of burn-in, the Freeview logo was visable on red content.
I contacted Currys, they came and picked it up, then said it needed a new screen, but as they could not source one gave me a voucher to buy a new CX to replace it.
They never tried to say burn-in was not covered and I was very pleased with the outcome.

I hope I get a similar outcome, still being repaired, no update as to if it has been fixed yet

I hope I get a similar outcome, still being repaired, no update as to if it has been fixed yet

Its frustrating but Currys tend to keep the warranty/cover details on their systems, so when you call knowhow support up a postcode and door number check should pull up that info off their systems to show if you are covered or not.

Previous post are spot on... don't mention burn in some people just say the screen colours are not displaying correctly against certain colours like white or blue or patches on screen which were not there before. You can also tell them you have updated the tv software, reset TV to factory settings, tried a different plug outlet and several hdmi cables this usually fast tracks you to getting it collected and repaired.

Currys has a great relationship and business deal (promo) with LG in regards to OLED TVs so don't usually fuss over burn in or screen issues and tend to just pick up and repair or if they can't repair you get it written off.

Hopefully you get it sorted quickly.

Quick update, repair is finished and TV will be returned Monday, doesn’t say if anything has been replaced though

Quick update, repair is finished and TV will be returned Monday, doesn’t say if anything has been replaced though

Bit odd usually the engineer would have updated what parts got replaced, id guess the screen, still only 2 days wait at least.

Bit odd usually the engineer would have updated what parts got replaced, id guess the screen, still only 2 days wait at least.
I’ve emailed them to see if they can tell me what has been done, hopefully hear back soon

Aha, just received a reply, the screen and power supply unit have been replaced, so good news, I think!

Aha, just received a reply, the screen and power supply unit have been replaced, so good news, I think!
Quick update, Curry’s returned TV today, very well wrapped and protected in a large plastic box, undamaged, and with a lovely new panel. So very impressed with their service!

In a similar(ish) situation. I have a 65 B7V. Just contacted LG who basically said it's a "defective" panel, but I should contact Richer Sounds (it's 3 years old now).
I rang Richer Sounds who were actually very sympathetic, and said they would sort out. They mentioned it's not normally covered by warranty (screen burn) and would cost £250 to replace the panel, but they would probably refund me the cost. Anyway, I got an email from them requesting photos, and re-iterating screen burn is not covered (although no mention of the refund).
So let's see how it go's.
I'll update when I get more info.

In a similar(ish) situation. I have a 65 B7V. Just contacted LG who basically said it's a "defective" panel, but I should contact Richer Sounds (it's 3 years old now).
I rang Richer Sounds who were actually very sympathetic, and said they would sort out. They mentioned it's not normally covered by warranty (screen burn) and would cost £250 to replace the panel, but they would probably refund me the cost. Anyway, I got an email from them requesting photos, and re-iterating screen burn is not covered (although no mention of the refund).
So let's see how it go's.
I'll update when I get more info.
Any update?

Any update?
So here's the sequence of events:
1. Spoke to LG who said they will probably replace panel (they looked at panel over phone, and described as panel defect) but it's out of warranty and said to speak to Richer Sounds, but LG said we will help you get a discount (it was all quite fuzzy).
2. Spoke to Richer Sounds who said on phone only they will 'probably' refund the panel replacement and to send them pictures first.
3. Sent the pictures to Richer Sound. They replied via email to say they don't cover burn in, but will try to help.
4. After 2 days of phoning up, and not getting through to the original person I spoke to, I got through to someone at Richer Sounds who agreed they will refund the cost of panel replacement (which is £250 by LG). They said to email them the receipt.
5. Rang LG and gave payment of £250.
6. Emailed Richer Sounds with receipt.
7. Some one from Richer Sounds rang me to ask for my bank details, so they could refund me.
8. Refund appeared in my bank account some days later.
9. Not been contacted by LG to pick up TV (but at this point my net cost is £0 ).
10. Phoned LG who said they have moved repair centre and it will take some time to get repairs on track, and do I want a refund. I replied absolutely not, happy to wait. They said ring back in 2 or 3 weeks to see where things are.

Throughout Richer Sounds were impeccably polite, and cannot really fault LG either. I guess the repair request was bad timing with their move.
Only slightly weird thing is that Richer Sounds only ever talked about the refund (which I did get easily enough) over the phone, and never via email.
So still waiting for the repair (and the power supply repair). But I'm feeling confident I will get there at some point.

The only thing that really worries me, is that after the panel is replaced, will the same thing happen again ? Or have the panels been improved...

The only thing that really worries me, is that after the panel is replaced, will the same thing happen again ? Or have the panels been improved...

Had a quick glance at your Lg B7 specs, I believe it was an 2017/8 OLED panel so it does support ABL, one of the main techs to prevent burn in. Obviously its no guarantee and it was perhaps one of the early versions, so may not have worked as well.

We still see many 2016-2017 lg and other oleds around that time, getting burn in at times while others not, but supposedly the 2018/2019 Oled panels should be much better, course we won't know till another 2-3 years if those newer ones get burn in also but according to LG it should almost not exist.

I do also believe LG tweaked the panels brightness (reducing it a bit), and must have improved the build quality to help with that burn in issue also, so newer panels should be better.

I think if you can get a good 5-6 years worth (fault free) of a TV its decent in my books, usually by that time the tech has changed a fair bit and it needs replacing anyhow. I think you have got pretty good service here, we see countless times manufacturers and retailers going down the not covered excuse, hopefully you get many more years use out of it.

So here's the sequence of events:
1. Spoke to LG who said they will probably replace panel (they looked at panel over phone, and described as panel defect) but it's out of warranty and said to speak to Richer Sounds, but LG said we will help you get a discount (it was all quite fuzzy).
2. Spoke to Richer Sounds who said on phone only they will 'probably' refund the panel replacement and to send them pictures first.
3. Sent the pictures to Richer Sound. They replied via email to say they don't cover burn in, but will try to help.
4. After 2 days of phoning up, and not getting through to the original person I spoke to, I got through to someone at Richer Sounds who agreed they will refund the cost of panel replacement (which is £250 by LG). They said to email them the receipt.
5. Rang LG and gave payment of £250.
6. Emailed Richer Sounds with receipt.
7. Some one from Richer Sounds rang me to ask for my bank details, so they could refund me.
8. Refund appeared in my bank account some days later.
9. Not been contacted by LG to pick up TV (but at this point my net cost is £0 ).
10. Phoned LG who said they have moved repair centre and it will take some time to get repairs on track, and do I want a refund. I replied absolutely not, happy to wait. They said ring back in 2 or 3 weeks to see where things are.

Throughout Richer Sounds were impeccably polite, and cannot really fault LG either. I guess the repair request was bad timing with their move.
Only slightly weird thing is that Richer Sounds only ever talked about the refund (which I did get easily enough) over the phone, and never via email.
So still waiting for the repair (and the power supply repair). But I'm feeling confident I will get there at some point.

Generally seems like good handling of the situation, just long time frames which honestly, isn't unexpected with everything going on.

Honestly though, I'm really surprised LG only charge £250 for a panel replacement, seems like a bit of steal!

Had a quick glance at your Lg B7 specs, I believe it was an 2017/8 OLED panel so it does support ABL, one of the main techs to prevent burn in. Obviously its no guarantee and it was perhaps one of the early versions, so may not have worked as well.

We still see many 2016-2017 lg and other oleds around that time, getting burn in at times while others not, but supposedly the 2018/2019 Oled panels should be much better, course we won't know till another 2-3 years if those newer ones get burn in also but according to LG it should almost not exist.

I do also believe LG tweaked the panels brightness (reducing it a bit), and must have improved the build quality to help with that burn in issue also, so newer panels should be better.

I think if you can get a good 5-6 years worth (fault free) of a TV its decent in my books, usually by that time the tech has changed a fair bit and it needs replacing anyhow. I think you have got pretty good service here, we see countless times manufacturers and retailers going down the not covered excuse, hopefully you get many more years use out of it.
Sorry haven't had a chance to log in for a while due to work.
I agree 5 to 6 years "fault free" is not bad at all. The problem is that I started seeing small amounts of burn at the 1 year mark. This was from the built in LG app, which has a yellow button in the menu, and after around 2 years there were bits and bobs all over that were noticeable if you looked for them, but not too distracting. By year 3 the youtube progress bar was pretty noticeable in most content. I'd say the most used app was Netflix, followed by Youtube and then Disney+. Habits have changed, so hardly watch any satellite TV anymore.
It will be interesting to see how the new panel fairs. I hope the old panel really was defective.

Right now there still hasn't been a replacement, due to issues with the collections company they use: ArrowXL. Not a particular competent operation, but that's a long story all in itself, involving multiple collection attempts without an "in-flight" container to put the TV in, and many phone calls with the discussions never being remembered.
However last person I spoke to at LG, agreed it was bizarre such a simple was not being sorted, and has instead arranged for engineers to come on site to do the work. Should be a week or 2.

Generally seems like good handling of the situation, just long time frames which honestly, isn't unexpected with everything going on.

Honestly though, I'm really surprised LG only charge £250 for a panel replacement, seems like a bit of steal!
I agree very good handling of the situation.
However it really depends on how the new panel fairs, and if the old one really was defective. Time will tell.
When by bought the OLED I was lead to believe the burn in was not a significant issue, and less so than even plasma, which certainly has not been the case.
I still have my old Panasonic plasma and burn simply is not visible, unless you go into the system menu and run the special solid color screens to look for it, and even then it's so feint you really have to look. If you try to display these same solid colors via photos, or youtube app, no burn can be seen (I'm assuming because color balance, and picture processing modes don't allow the pixels to be fully activated).
So yeah, still kind of stinging from how much worse the OLED burn has been, and I suspect even if the new panel is an improvement it will not match the last generation of plasma (especially considering what the rtings oled burn in tests found).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom