Bought Hitachi PD5000 - piccys enc

Pheedbak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bought the much discussed plasma today and took it home with me (ford focus perfect size) . Ive enclosed a few photos of the "tuner" RS call it but i dont see no aerial !!

It has no speakers or no stand and the "tuner" is added afterwards by RS.

Gluck those still in search of one.

Phil

Attachments

• dscf0073.jpg
    dscf0073.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 459
and finally

Attachments

• dscf0074.jpg
    dscf0074.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 432
Is it an RGB scart ?

:clap: this could be be one for me , rgb scart for sky and a component each for DVD and xbox .Sooner my house sale goes through the better:D

thanks for the info Phil , I feel there gonna be a load more posts on "plasmas out " before long :smashin:

if RS had supplied me with a proper mount then yes but its back in the box i didnt want to leave it out and didnt take any in the shop sorry !!

It looks very good though kinda has a glass over the entire front and is dark graphite in colour , i was impressed .. more photos to follow when its on the wall

Phil

Why does the box state "NICAM Digital Stereo" if there's no tuner or speakers?

Just a thought....

I think the "NICAM" is a little bit of artistic license as the tuner model does have NICAM, but this model has no tuner but does indeed have a digital stereo amplifier onboard.

Makes packaging all the different models that much easier, just change the 5xxx bit!

And the screen is exactly the same technically as the 500E

Best regards David

Does the video board have audio out (L,R) for connecting to a home cinema/amp? My digibox from NTL only has a scart out and want to know if I go for this screen, whether you can output the audio from the screen after the scart's plugged in (I know you could on the PD3000 but I've cancelled that order in anticipation of this model!)

SO how are the pictures? ie. how does the screen rate compared with the competition (ie. pioneer, philips and panasonic) and where is the elusive DVI/HDMI compatible interface.

By the way is this screen true hi-definition or not?

I bought today a Hitachi 42PD5000 ay Reading's RS.

After 3 hours of fight to remove the noise in the black tones, I gave up.
Straight back for refund.
For the prices of Plasma screens, I'm expecting the best, and this Hitachi plasma doesn't provide it to me...

The model they had in RS had little if any noise, even from really close up.

What signal were you feeding?

Galaxy, looks like the same video board on the 5000 as the 500, only difference looks like the colout of the bezel. 500 is £200 cheaper on tvandvideodirect so it's not an easy choice.

I was using RGB scart on onkyo (old) DVD player. I don't already have YUV player.

But in the shop, they were using Cambridge DVD player and I also stated noise (less than on my DVD player)

1st day owner of the 42PD5000, also running an older DVD with RGB over SCART. No noise problems at all.

Yet another example of plasma dark noise affecting some people more than others. I tried to start a conversation about this a while back, but couldnt get any answers. All those with good working sets insist those with problems aren't setting up thier sets properly. The people with noise insist they've done everything they can to get the noise down, with no luck.

Its clear the same plasma can perform differently at 2 different locations, regards the dark noise issue.
Surely either external interference or mains noise may have an effect on these sets??
How else can we explain two people, same set & two locations having differing levels of noise?
jprenaux fiddled with his settings for hours with no luck, whereas mph gets good quality virtually straight out the box!

Im gonna get the electricty in my home checked before I next check out out a big tv. I would suggest those with problems do the same before sending thier sets back in a hurry. There may actually be nothing wrong with it.

Daft newbie thought: anything to do with macrovision?

I have a modded dvd player that no longer has it enabled.

Hi all. :)

I've read somewhere that the level of noise in the black is usually due to the contrast being set to high.
Worth trying lowering it down to check. ;)

I also changed the contrast trying to get rid of this effect, without any success.

This effect was also visible on the exposition model in the shop (more limited effect compared to the one I bought). The same Cambridge DVD player was feeding 2 plasmas in parallel (PD5000 and LG). No visible effect on the LG, but visible on the PD5000. On the fixed menu of the DVD player, the image was also flickering a little at the bottom of the screen. No flicker on the LG.
The colours/contrast were far better on the Hitachi, but thoses effects are disturbing.

I made the remark to the vendor, and he sees it too.
If you're 2 or 3 meters away from the screen, you see it less.

But my statement is: If I can't get a PERFECT signal from this device out of the box with me owned DVD player, it's not worthy the 2500£ I paid !

So i guess the hitachi does not live up to its rep, as it sounds like the pictures are worse than the panny, pio and philips. I take it too like the previous model this is not true hidef either .........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom