1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought first projector - help and advice needed please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danjos, Jun 9, 2004.

1. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi

I finally took the plunge and bought my first projector, the hitachi tx100. Havent had much chance to play with it yet, just an hour or so.
    I dont have an ideal setup, 90" wide picture onto a smooth matt white wall, seating is almost 2xscreenwidth away. Colours were really nice, bright scenes were clear and sharp and I certainly didnt notice any obvious VB or even SDE, i expect my eyes may become more critical with time.

What troubled me though, was dark scenes. In LOTR when they enter the mines of moria, they are in total darkness for the first few seconds, but the projector was clearly still projecting a fairly bright rectangle, ie nowhere near black, light grey at best, and the whole moria episode is very muddy and grey and unsatisfying. This is where i need help.
    I had already set it to deep-black mode, so what can i now do to get more clarity in dark scenes?

Im using the ronin p90h player, progscan (cheap cables atm). The Room almost completely dark.

Any advice appreciated thanks :)

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It's worth having a copy of Avia or Video Essentials to make sure your black level and white level are optimum.
    Bear in mind that LCD projectors won't fare as well on dark scenes as most DLP projectors which in turn won't do as well as most CRT projectors.

3. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks, was thinking about investing in avia. :)

4. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a sanyo Z1 and it has the same problem (as do all LCDs to some extent). I have painted by wall with Dulux Icestorm 5 (or was it 6 :confused: ) which is a grey. It makes a huge difference, and although I was a little concerned at first that the whites would be killed, my concerns were not founded. The blacks are much better and the whole picture just looks so much better.

I have bordered mine with wallpaper liner that I sprayed black and just blue tacked up (in a rented house so can't do any permanent fixtures, but the room was white before so simple to return to how it was), although sugerpaper would be better if you can find somewhere it is sold on the roll.

After I had painted, I projected The Matrix onto the wall with half the pic on the icestorm and half on the white. The difference was amazing, the picture was just better (contrast, colour and black levels). I even checked the white room scene (where neo gets the guns) and I was not at all disappointed with the white level.

I would recommend all LCD projector owners that are projecting onto a wall to go the Icestorm route, either 5 or 6 get recommended and some mix 5&6 to get a 5.5, which would also be good. I myself have the darker of the two and although I was sceptical (when I opened the tin and saw a quite dark grey I did wonder if I was mad), I am very impressed with the results.

In fact I am so impressed, that when I move to my next place (where the decor is nice, so I can't paint a wall) I am going to buy a sheet of MDF and paint it with icestorm (instead of buying a cheap screen)

Hope this is an option for you, as it should help you enjoy your projector much more.

Attached: A picture from Angel. It does not really show much more than the quality of the camera and the resizing did not help (jagged edges everywhere), but the whites do look white and the blacks are better, if not quite black (but that is impossible with an LCD)

[​IMG]

Link to full size picture (taken with Ixus 400)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.r.miller/AngelProjector.jpg

5. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks milec. Hmm, problem is its my lounge and im not sure the wife would go for painting the wall grey ! :eek: always knew i was going to have to compromise though.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Other than setting black and white levels using Avia, which is probably one of the most important things you can do for a pj, how about a pull down grey screen maybe?

Failing that, a lens filter can reduce light output and help the black level. If, like many LCD projectors, the lamps red deficiency is noticable (images appear slightly green), using an FL-Day filter will add red to the image, as well as reducing blacks.

Do a search and see what filter (if any) people are using with your pj, and what results they had.

Gary.

7. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes im starting to think that im going to have to invest in a good screen.
    I will look into filters, although the tx100 is too new for people to have posted experiences with filters etc

8. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    had a bit more time on the weekend, wife even agreed to let me paint the projector wall with 'ice-storm 6' which really does look ok when dried, just a light grey, this did improve dark scenes noticeably and even whites looked nicer i thought. Its still a bit of an effort watching extended dark scenes though, but getting better the more i tweak.
    Started to notice some VB, but its not distracting and only there if you look for it.
    Got the unit up a semi-circular shelf now, looks quite good, its about 6ft up the back wall, the projector is still right side up because the tx100 lines up with the centre of the picture rather than the bottom as i was expecting, so a small amount of vert lens shift was all it took to centralise the picture. Less audible up there too. Still got film volume 'issues' with the wife atm, i think if she cant hear the projector fan then the film is too loud ! need to work on this area :)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Ear defenders for her?

You can get those little yellow things that fit inside the ear. She puts them in when the movie starts, and you put them in when it stops. ;)

Gary.