bought a TV off ebay, and received a different model...a better model.

RM UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
i bought a Philips 23PF5321/01 23" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV off ebay.
it got delivered today, and turns out i got a 23PFL5522D/05 LCD TV.

now the one i ordered had 1 DVI and no component.

the one i received has 2x HDMI and component!
after googling, turns out i got a more expensive TV than i ordered.

however, my TV didn't come with a remote, which it should have done!

what do i do? request a remote? tell them what has happened?

Tell them what happened but say that you're willing to overlook their mistake and not leave any negative feedback so long as they send you the remote to go with the TV:)

At some point they'll realise their mistake and contact you so I'd get it sorted as soon as possible.

Hi all.

now the one i ordered had 1 DVI and no component.

the one i received has 2x HDMI and component!
after googling, turns out i got a more expensive TV than i ordered.

Request a remote or buy a replacement. You could also use a universal one. Make sure you give them good feedback! You lucky sod.

Hi all.

You don't say whether the item is a 'new' item and/or whether the eBay vendor was a business or a private individual.

The TV you received shouldn't have come with a remote as you didn't see a listing for the TV you received!

The TV you thought you'd bought should have if it was in the listing/spec of a 'new' TV.

If the item was new and sold by a business and came with a packing note saying what was really enclosed then either the business made a mistake or decided to upgrade your order. If you think the former and you want to benefit from that mistake then you probably need to keep quiet. If the latter then you should get them to fulfil their free upgrade properly with a remote (incidentally have you forensically checked through all the packing materials, sometimes they "hide" items in the strangest places).

I assume you didn't notice it was the wrong item until you'd unpacked it ?

If it was someone/business that made a mistake and sent wrong item, then the cost for them to get it collected from you (as a 2nd hand set they can't now sell as new) and shipping the right replacement to you may well cost them far more than just letting you keep the wrong set ?

Otherwise the advice on a universal remote, or buying a Philips remote for that specific set (undoubtedly overpriced) is your only option isn't it ?

Request a remote or buy a replacement. You could also use a universal one. Make sure you give them good feedback! You lucky sod.

thanks.
well i contacted them, requested a remote and mentioned thier mistake but said i was willing to over look it :D.

the TV i ordered can be bought for £235 on Amazon, second hand (i paid £200).
the TV i was sent, the cheapest i can fin dis comet £400! so i'm not complaining!

thanks again mate.

the TV i ordered was "ex-display" not new, but said it came with a remote.

the TV is not brand new (packing inside is damaged) but the screen is scratchless, so i don't knwo if it is ex display also.

thanks again!

i'm probs selling this TV on, as i originally bought it not realising it was DVI (ironic i know!) so would it be beneficial to get a remote and then sell it...or sell without a remote?
thanks.

the rpely i got was...

"Dear Robbie

Thankyou for your email

we did actually upgrade you to the better model as there was a slight delay however we can refund you in full if you are unhappy once the item is returned but we did thinkyou would be over the moon as it was also Brand New,,

our items as stated do not come with remote controls however if you leave your address we can see what we can do for you
thankyou".

superb!

the rpely i got was...

"Dear Robbie

Thankyou for your email

we did actually upgrade you to the better model as there was a slight delay however we can refund you in full if you are unhappy once the item is returned but we did thinkyou would be over the moon as it was also Brand New,,

our items as stated do not come with remote controls however if you leave your address we can see what we can do for you
thankyou".

superb!

i'd be well chuffed with that, sounds like some of the best customer service i've ever heard of :thumbsup:.

i'd be well chuffed with that, sounds like some of the best customer service i've ever heard of :thumbsup:.

well the "slight delay" was infact 4 weeks.

i would normally be over the moon, but since i don't plan on keeping it it doesn't really matter :(.

guess i could selll it for slightly more than i would of been able the old one!

Sounds like a good result but why aren't you keeping it?

Sounds like a good result but why aren't you keeping it?

well just after i ordered it, i realised it had just one HD input (DVI) and i wanted to connect my PC and xbox 360.

so i thought i would sell it, so i bought another TV instead.

therefore, when the ebay TV turned up with 3 HD inputs, i was surprised to say the least!
however, it has 2x HDMI and 1 x component, so i can't connect my PC any way (DVI and VGA).

well if you are, or you knwo anyone, wanting a 23" HD TV for around £200-£220 then let me know!

:smashin:.

If you do get any interest please make sure you conclude the deal by placing a for sale ad in the classifieds.

If you do get any interest please make sure you conclude the deal by placing a for sale ad in the classifieds.

yeh sorry will do if the time comes, probs just gonna whack it on the bay tho.

I've connected DVI on my Laptop to HDMI on my TV before - just need a DVI to HDMI adapter - they can be had for about £5.

Cheers,

Nigel

i already thought about that, but i play all my music off my PC, and the HDMI on the TV doesn't have any seperate audi inputs, so the DVI from my PC plus aduio would have to be converted to HDMI, and these costs £100+.

Thanks anyway mate.

My advice would be to look up the manual on the internet (if it didn't come with one) to find out the model of the correct remote control, and search ebay for that model remote...i did this recently for a Tosh video/DVD combi recorder and it cost around £20. :)

I wouldn't play audio through TV speakers from a PC anyway. Much better sound from a cheapish set of PC speakers. DVI to HDMI works well.

I wouldn't play audio through TV speakers from a PC anyway. Much better sound from a cheapish set of PC speakers. DVI to HDMI works well.

i have a very decent set of pc speakers plugged into the headphone jack on TV, so that my PC and 360 would be able use the speakers.

Thanks.

btw thanks to the mod that merged the 2 threads :smashin:.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom