1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new TH42PW5B and need a solid DVD/CD - should I buy a Bose Lifestyle??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jongemini, Dec 13, 2002.

1. jongemini

jongemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    I'm no Home Cinema or Music afficionado. I've just bought a Plasma TV and need a DVD Player that plays Audio CDs equally as well, with a decent amp and speakers.

The only thing I've really decided on are the Bose speakers. (cos they look nice and I think sound pretty good).

The Lifestyle 28 is a combined DVD/ CD AUdio / Tuner with Component/RGB/S-Video output and would seem to suit my needs. That is:
    - looks good
    - easy to use
    - all in one box
    - plays DVD and Audio CD at high quality

Problem is ... is GBP 2500 for the Bose Lifestyle (incl speakers) and this is pretty steep!! Can anyone tell me if, based on my reqirements above, this is a good solution? Or can you recommend something else? That is....
    - a combined DVD/Audio Player
    - Receiver/Amp

Whatdya think? Am I wasting money isf I take the easy expensive Bose Lifestyle option?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    The benefits of an all-in-one solution like this are limited to tidiness (fewer external connections) and theoreticsally, easier to set up for a novice.

The problems with any all-in-1 solution are:

1: If one component fails - you loose your entire system until it is repaired, or have to buy another complete system if it is unrepairable and out of warranty.

2: They are generally jack-of-all-trades, master of none, ie, every component is likely to be a compromise

3: You have no upgrade path without junking the whole thing. If (when?) someone decides on another 'new' audio format - you don't just get a new disc player - you have to get a new disc player, amplifier, etc., - the lot.

So for these reasons, separates are better. You can choose individual components that meet your taste and budget, and probably get a bl**dy good system for the price of the item you suggest. And then, if you tire of, say, the amplifier, (or someone comes up with a newer even better surround sound system) - you buy a new amp. That's all.

The same goes for BOSE speakers. The satellites cannot be used any other way than via a Bose Sub. So you are tied.

Whereas, if you buy a separate sub/sat system, and you later decide (eg) that you want to rattle the floor with a bit more force, you buy a new sub. That's all.

So, go and research a good combined DVD/SACD/DVDA/CD/MP3 deck, a good DD/DTS amp or receiver, and a good sub/sat speaker setup.

Just to give you an idea (and I'm not suggesting this as an ideal system by any means)(guessed prices - check for yourself)

High Spec Multiregion Pioneer DVD player (757) £700
    KEF 'Eggs' sub & sat £700
    Denon Receiver (3802 or 3?) £600.

Total = £2000.

£500 in the Bank, and probably a better sounding and definitely more flexible system.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No

buy something a lot better for a lot less!

4. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bose?

Great looks, superb advertising, melt in you living enviroment. Unfortunatly the truth is they sound light, have no upgrade path and cost a fortune.

Now i definatly fall into the catagory of more money than sense but in all honesty the system you are suggesting will produce results marginally no better than a pioneer all in one system costing around £600. My advice is to do YOUR OWN research. Invest some time in trawling your local dealers and get them to put together systems for £2500. I gaurentee the results will bury the bose.

If you can't spare the time them take a look at a B&W speaker packege, a sony amp/reciever and a denon DVD player. Put aside at least £250 for cables and then get the best you can afford from the rest.

hope this helps

Phil

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about something like this. Looks great, sounds great.

System includes,
    Panasonic PW5, Silicon image iscan pro, Denon 3802, Pioneer 656 multi format player, Schroers & Schroers rack, Anthony Gallo 6.1 system including MPS-150 sub.

Attached Files:

6. jongemini

jongemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    Thanks for your inut and knowledge. I have taken all into account and am putting together a system-to-die-for rather than the mega expensive Bose Lifestyle 28.!
    Thank you. I have spent today at aa reputable AV dealer and decided on a:
    ARCAM DV88+
    HK AVR 2500
    Keff od speakers

Thanks and best regards
    Jongemini

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The living room looks absolutely stunning Eric :).

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul.

Jongemini,
    Good choice re the Arcam 88.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    jongemini

I'd have a good look (and play) with the operating and set up system on the HK receiver - its not a system I have ever used but good friends in the trade tend to swear a lot whenever I have asked them about setting up the HK as compared to an Arcam/ Denon/Pioneer or other brand receiver.

Best regards

Joe

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound quality is also not on par with others in its price range.

11. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry to barge in on this thread Jongemini,but now you've got your new plasma,could you take a pic and post it in this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51103

It makes it easier for me when i'm drea......er........Looking.:)

Same goes for you Eric,that is a classy looking setup.

Thanks

Ian

12. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric,
    I know you are dealing them (Schroers) but please do not recomend them to anyone. They look great but are rather poor audiophile designs (here I mean Lambda Triga and Delta). Unstable, can't be filled with sand etc etc
    Pedro

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pedro,
    With the greatest respect, if they were poor quality, I would not choose to work with Schroers.
    One look at my signiture should make this obvious. I only deal in quality products like Velodyne, Stewart Filmscreen etc etc

I've used Triga quite a few times and indeed use one in my living room. Once set up, its a very sturdy piece of kit and puts most of our UK products to shame. All this from one of the cheapest in the Schroers range.

I have not used Delta or Lambda so can't comment on these.

I have seen the Focus 72 (Charlie Whiteshouse has two units) and its incredible mass of 100 lbs plus is anything but unstable.
    Each 20mm glass shelf can carry equipment loads of 154 lbs.
    Charlie has his monster Krell amp on one of these. At well over 100 lbs, figure that into the equation and you pretty much have an imovable object.

As for "pure audiophile" designs, you could argue till the cows come home. There are arguments for and against most audio rack materials including glass, metal, etc etc.

Thanks for your concern.

Attached Files:

14. jbaker

jbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Uncle Eric,

The living room does indeed looks stunning. I also have a chimney breast which will hopefully boast a plasma screen before too long and maybe some gallos to boot. One query. Is that the best position for the L/R speakers or would I be better putting them in the alcoves either side of the breast?

regards

Jono

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jono,
    I like to tie in the front soundstage with the display device. I could have pushed out the front left/rights slightly further away from the centre but that would have meant placement in the alcove corners. Reflections here would have seriously compromised sound quality.
    Placing the L/R's in a central alcove position would have meant the L/R's being too far apart.

16. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric, did you really mean to say that about the Harman Kardon - it did get a 5 star review in HCC for sound quality!

Please don't tell me they are biased as well!!

17. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought i'd just include a quote from the magazine review for your perusal

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brox,
    I'm not saying its a poor machine. What I am saying is that for the money, there are units out their that are more capable in most departments.

The average street price of the HK 2500 is £400. Taking the Denon 1803 as an example, this is available for around £50 pounds less, offers a sixth Channel, and almost double the power.

At this price level, competition is fierce.

If you asked me to point out a "for and against" for the HK, I would say,

For: Logic 7, 192 dac's, great looks.
    Against: Feeble power output, only 5 channels, "lightweight" sound quality.

Just my humble opinion of course.

19. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one final point, HK are extremely conservative in their power ratings, so a like for like comparison in this area may not give he whole picture. Although the HK 2500 is rated at 50 Watts it actually delivers more than 70.

Perhaps you are right in that it doesn't come fully featured but the amp and sound quality IMO (and HCC) are up with the best of them if not better.

I rarely see a review for HK receivers which don't say the amplification is quality stuff.

20. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's actually rated at 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I'm aware that HK are slighly less optimistic than others re the firewall figure but nevertheless, I'd like to see all channels driven figures from all camps. IMO this is a far better way to present power ratings.

21. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got that info from the HCC review - have i misread or misunderstood it?

22. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can see in the HCC review where you got your 40 Watt figure from, not sure if this is the true figure or the measured figure, presumably it's 5 X 40W quoted rather than measured - which is higher

However your comments are completely contrary to the HCC review, but since i've had a demo of a Denon 3802 and compared it against my older (and cheaper) AVR500 I don't agree that HK are inferior machines at all.

23. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems you have a bee in your bonnet about my opinion. Everyones entitled to an opinion Brox, even me. I'll stick to mine thanks.

Oh by the way, HK's own specs stipualte 40 watts per channel.
    http://www.harmankardon.co.uk/produ...EC&ser=AVR&prod=AVR 2500/230&language=ENGLISH

Which is where I got my ratings from. Again, this is not clear whether its an all channels driven figure.

I will not comment on HCC as they are partly responsible for our forum and should be commended along with Spectre.

Suffice to say, there are a few magazines which I take seriously but most originate from across the pond.

24. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric, I really did my best (have Triga in my second setup and had Lambda on try) but those Schroers stands take all the vibrations from the floor and can not be isolated. For me they are bad designs (best way to test it is to put turntable on the top) , but that is of course personal opinion. I was not able to set them up proper way.
    Now I use Soundstyle and I am very happy with them.
    As for your other brands, great choice!
    Regards
    Pedro

25. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pedro,
    Out of the box, most racks are not acoustically optimum.
    I have discovered a way of setting the shroers racks up so that much more isolation is achieved. If you are interested, PM me for deatails.

By the way, for this and any other rack, speaker stand etc etc, I advise against the use of spikes!!!
    This method, taken for gospel for years is IMO not ideal. It's virtually impossible to totally isolate all ground born and air born vibrations from our hardware. The best we can due is reduce these. Compliance is the key here not spikes.
    No matter how small the point of contact, spikes hard couple the entire piece of hardware to the ground from where ground born vibrations will take their toll. Also, spikes will have little or no effect to air born vibrations.

Complience as provided by rubber can achieve good degrees of isolation. People have always thought me rather quaint using rubber while for decades, every audiophile worth his salt has used spikes.

In recent tests by one of our more respected Hi Fi journals, along with other equipment, an accelerometer was used in extensive testing which proved conclusively that my "guess" was indeed correct. Rubber can be hugely effective in terms of isolation while spikes proved to have little or no effect against any form of vibration.

A note here, some folks use blu tac under their speakers and whilst better than spikes, blu tac is plastic and not elastic hence much of the complience dies after a short period.

I use small rubber feet under my monitors that sit on the stands and use rubber feet under my stands. Two sets in total. I also do things to my racks that no sane man would do :rolleyes:

26. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They can't arrest you for it..... ;)