Bought a new 320gb PS3, backup ?

mark1000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, just bought a new 320gb PS3 to replace my 120gb slim.

I have loads of games that were installed from a shared PSN account, i no longer have the account details as a rule between us was not to keep them, so my ? how can i put them on the new 320gb slim, is there a way to transfer them or back up the 120gb slim.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Mark.

Nobody know what i should or can do, there seems to be two ways in the xmb, use a Ethernet cable option or back up, but which version if any will copy the PSN games from a different account then mine.

Mark.

Backup DEFINITELY won't work. Backup/restore is only really useful if you're restoring the backup onto the same PS3 that created the backup. Since you're restoring onto a different PS3, it won't copy the games over.

I also doubt if using the transfer utility with ethernet will work, as you don't have the shared account details, you can't 'activate' the games on your new machine. You could try it, but I don't think it'll work unless you can get the shared account on your 320GB to do the activation.

Is there something wrong with your 120GB? Why are you replacing it?

Backup DEFINITELY won't work. Backup/restore is only really useful if you're restoring the backup onto the same PS3 that created the backup. Since you're restoring onto a different PS3, it won't copy the games over.

I also doubt if using the transfer utility with ethernet will work, as you don't have the shared account details, you can't 'activate' the games on your new machine. You could try it, but I don't think it'll work unless you can get the shared account on your 320GB to do the activation.

Is there something wrong with your 120GB? Why are you replacing it?

Thanks for the info, i bought the 320gb as it was on offer at zavvi for £197 and have sold my 120gb to my son for £150, so a new machine for £50 with a new warranty.

Mark.

I also picked up one of the £197 320gb slims from Zavvi so will be copying my stuff across from my 60gb (now 320gb) launch bulky PS3 some time next week. From what I understand, everything will transfer across (via ethernet cable) including other accounts so if the account that the PSN games came from is on your current PS3 it will also copy across to your new PS3. You need to use the transfer option though and not the back up one and from what I've read it can take hours to do. My last back up took around 6hrs so I'm expecting this to take longer

Yep, yours will work fine. The problem with the OP is that he DOESN'T have the PSN account the game came from anymore.

I have loads of games that were installed from a shared PSN account, i no longer have the account details as a rule between us was not to keep them, so my

Yep, yours will work fine. The problem with the OP is that he DOESN'T have the PSN account the game came from anymore.

I took that to mean that he no longer had the password. I don't have the password for an account that's on mine and has psn games linked to it but I'm assuming that a transfer will just copy everything across so it won't matter if I don't know the password ( can probably find it out sooner or later though)

Just to wrap this thread up.

I used the ethernet cable option in the end, but although all the content transfered over, the games i had on the PSN account that are shared with someone else wont work and wont let me sign in on that account either, just get an error message that says something like " this user is no longer able to access PSN network " so i suppose the guy who sold us the games closed the account, not sure TBH.

Mark.

do you need to deactivate the old system (it tells you to do it) or can you have both active? I've just started a data transfer and ignored the deactivation part as I want the old PS3 as a blu-ray player / PlayTV recorder and the new one as a games machine

Games & DLC that you download off the PSN store can only be 'activated' on 5 different PS3's.
If you didn't deactivate your old PS3 before doing the transfer, then 2 of your 5 'activations' have now been used. Not much of a problem now, but if you get YLOD on one/both of your machines in future, that's another one/two 'activations' gone etc...
Bit of a waste of an activation if you're only going to use the old machine for films/TV.

do you need to deactivate the old system (it tells you to do it) or can you have both active?
Why didn't you just do it then?:facepalm::rotfl:

Why didn't you just do it then?:facepalm::rotfl:

Because I read somewhere that you didn't need to even though the message seems to be there to sort of scare you into doing it. It doesn't say what you've just said about being able to activate it on 5 different PS3's.

After nearly 8hrs though my transfer is complete and everything is working fine (or seems to be anyway). Just need to get the password now to get the PSN stuff that isn't mine to work. I had 'paid for' stuff from the US PSN store and it worked fine after I put the password in for my US account and activated it too

Official PlayStation website: Help & Support
"Please note only a maximum of five game system's may be registered to a PLAYSTATION Network account at a time" (ie you can only have "paid for" content activated on 5 PS3's).
Also when you buy something on PSN, on the right hand side, where it gives you a description of what you're buying, it usually tells you about the 5 'activations' limit as well.

It'll work fine as you have 5 activations, & you've only used 2 now. Once all 5 'activations' are used up, you have to re-buy any content.

Problems might come in the future though if you get YLOD or your machines break down as you can't deactivate dead consoles & will use up further 'activations'.
Also, with the "PSN stuff that isn't mine", if you activate that on your new machine that means you've used 2 of the 5 'activations'. If the person you got the game from has also shared with other people, it's likely the 5 'activations' limit has already been reached & you won't be able to activate it on your new machine without deactivating your old machine 1st.

The other stuff is my nephew's so he'll only have used it himself, he's also got anything that I've bought so that's 3 uses for each thing then which isn't a problem

It's when you go to do the transfer itself, it comes up on the screen 'you need to deactivate the old system before you begin to transfer the data, if you haven't done this, press circle' as I said though I ignored it and eveything's working ok :)

I am going to trade my phat PS3 for a new 320GB PS3, do I need to do anything before I trade it in? How do I delete my account etc so it doesn't have my card details on it anymore etc?

Because I read somewhere that you didn't need to even though the message seems to be there to sort of scare you into doing it. It doesn't say what you've just said about being able to activate it on 5 different PS3's.

lol there is no scare tactic at all. It's a 5 machine rule period (I have a small circle of friends/family who share PSN content and it won't let a 6th machine in) so if you want to keep slots open then you need to deactivate machines you are getting rid of.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom