Quantcast

Bought a Netgear DG834N Still Drops outs

Anastie

Just bought this Router to cure my drop outs and improve signal to 360. Now I know the standard 360 wireless does not support next generation but I thought it would improve signal. I get 3 green bars showing but demos stop and I get severe lag. It does not improve signal :( Can anyone give me some advice? Can I get a better adapter for the 360 than the official one? Is there a next generation 360 adapter available etc etc.
Im now tempted to get an extender to put in the 360 room that works through the mains system but all this is getting silly and expensive.
Thoughts please

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
You wont regret it. I know someone who let their mum install them for him. Honestly... she didnt have any problems at all!!! :thumbsup:

Anastie

Just bought some on your advice. The new router will just go down as experiance :(

mac40

I upgraded from a 834G to an 834N and I have had no problems.

the signal to my 360 is stronger than before, used to be 2-3 bars fluctuating now 4 bars all the time.
I can use my laptop at the furthest end of my garden( although I do have a N card for the laptop), while with the G model the laptop lost signal before I left the house.
I currently use the MS wireless adapter for the 360 and a netgear wireless gaming adapter for my original xbox and the connections are rock solid.

It is a very good router and from my experience I would definetly hold onto it, the current firmware 1.01.03 works fine for me but there will be improvements to it.
There is no doubt the homeplugs will provide a stable, strong connection but don't give up on the router yet.

Anastie

Thanks all. Decided to keep the router as my PC game ping appears better and I acknowlage its a good bit of kit. Bought 2 homeplugs and I will get them tomorrow. (damn delivery men) from the depo. I presume I run a lead from the router to the home plug and the xbox 360 to the home plug? Its all plug and play is it?

DJBenz

Novice Member
Anastie said:
Bought 2 homeplugs and I will get them tomorrow. (damn delivery men) from the depo. I presume I run a lead from the router to the home plug and the xbox 360 to the home plug? Its all plug and play is it?
Exactly like that, yup. I took delivery of mine on Friday (thanks to this thread) and they were installed and up and running within about 60 seconds.

Great way to get round having to install cables between your router and console. :clap:

Anastie

Got to say I bought the 85Mbs homeplugs and I am very impressed. As for the router. with he free card for my wifes laptop the speed was 45mbs its now 265mbs with the next gen router so overall I am very please.:thumbsup:

ResB

Novice Member
I upgraded from a 834G to an 834N and I have had no problems.

the signal to my 360 is stronger than before, used to be 2-3 bars fluctuating now 4 bars all the time.
I can use my laptop at the furthest end of my garden( although I do have a N card for the laptop), while with the G model the laptop lost signal before I left the house.
I currently use the MS wireless adapter for the 360 and a netgear wireless gaming adapter for my original xbox and the connections are rock solid.

It is a very good router and from my experience I would definetly hold onto it, the current firmware 1.01.03 works fine for me but there will be improvements to it.
There is no doubt the homeplugs will provide a stable, strong connection but don't give up on the router yet.
Can I ask what Wireless security settings you're using? What I mean is are you using WEP, WPA etc etc...

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
Can I ask what Wireless security settings you're using? What I mean is are you using WEP, WPA etc etc...
I had that router on loan from Netgear for a few weeks last month, great router loved it.

I had everything set up on WPA-PSK. I have instructions on how to secure the Netgear routers on my site, its based on the DG834G but its virtually the same.