Bought a Limit 9900se today on a whim

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ferris57, Apr 22, 2003.

1. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As some of you might know from my posts I have been looking for a new dvd player. It had to be under £200, multiregion and most important of all play dvd-r and vcd flawlessy. Decent picture and sound quality wouldn't have gone a miss either ;)

Well, I had intitally decided on the pioneer 444 for its dvd-r capabilities and generally well regarded PQ. However, it's out of production, and the only option open to me was a refurb. I had also heard unsubstantiated claims of geomtry problems with certain tv's. As I couldn't return it if this turned out to be the case, I decided to visit my local richersounds today with a few dvd-r's in tow to check out what was on offer.

Low and behold they didn't have a demo room available. They also didn't have any of the players I was hoping to try out (various pioneers from 340, 350 to 454, various sony's including the ns405, and a few of the new pannys).

I'd rulled out the tosh 220 because unfortunately it wasn't great with cheap dvd-r.

So against my better judgement I decided to take the limit 9900se after being assured I could bring it back for a full refund. I fully expected this to be the case, but figured I might as well bring it home and try it out for myself (give me something to do on a rainy bank holiday afternoon at least ;)).

Now because most of the normal places (vcdhelp etc) rated this player fairly well and my old limit 8072 (although terrible at vcd playback and not the best picture in the world) played all dvd-r's I had ever thrown at it, I had considered this player to begin with. I figured it would have as good dvd-r capabilities but with better vcd and pq.

But after reading countless negative posts on here I had rulled it out completely.

Brought it home and connected it by rgb scart to my 32" philips t.v. And by optical cable to my (long over due for replacement) all in one home theatre kit.

I am very pleasantly surprised!!! Sound quality is not brilliant, but deffinatly not bad-a little bassy and perhaps ever so slightly muffeled, but not enough to detract me from the enjoyment of a film. After a bit of the usual tweaking Picture quality is very good! and its played all my dvd-r's and vcd's no problem at all. All brands, all recording methods. Build quality has been mentioned a few times, but the only indication of this is a close "touching" inspection or any sort of inspection of the drawer :) it really is flimsy. I can see why people have suggested it's got bad build quality, but it is no where near as bad as I was expecting. And I actually think it looks rather good.

The picture and sound quality is FAR better than my (recently departed) panny e30 (which I had been using as my main player for the interim). Recognises all media very quickly and is also very quiet!! now this may because I have been used to the clunking noises made by the e30, but it is deffinately not loud as other peoples seem to have been.

My only regret is that they did not have the standard 9900 without component out and dvd-audio, as I currently have no use for these and it would have saved me another £40, but hey, it's there if I need it now! Oh and yes, the lack of a standby button will no doubt drive me round the bend very shortly.

All in all I think its a cracking little player though and well worth £140 squid. I wanted a multiregion dvd player which played dvd-r and vcd flawlessly and had good picture and sound quality for not a lot of money. Thats exactly what I got. All in all I am very pleased with it :).

A very nice little all-rounder. Very Surprised, and very happy! Now fingers crossed the drawer doesn't fall off ;)

2. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey mate. One thing you have to be weary of with this DVD player (from a previous post on this forum as well) is that the picture mode (i.e. S-Video/RGB) is reset back to S-Video every time you turn the thing off, then on again !! :(

Turn it off (or on), go back into the setup and you'll see that it will still be set to RGB. However, look at the globe image (top left hand corner) and you'll see the image flickering slightly. It's cos it's gone back to S-Video. You have to go back into the pic mode select, and choose RGB *again* ! Even tho it says it's on RGB, it's not.

V annoying. You have to do this every time you turn off/on.

S.

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just shows not trust 'reviews' blindly! Unfortunately we live in a world where people rather say nasty things compared to the good points.

You shouldn't let the player drive you crazy by not having standby. Remember that you have to go to it to load a DVD anyway. Just think of the positive side and the reduction in your electricity bill! ;)

Now regarding sound quality, if you are connected only by optical cable you, shouldn't hear any difference in sound as it is your AMP doing the work!? I do believe you that you (think you) hear a difference, don't get me wrong! I just always think how much the brain is playing tricks with our hearing.....

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Scottm, cheers for the heads up :)

Dejongj,

"Now regarding sound quality, if you are connected only by optical cable you, shouldn't hear any difference in sound as it is your AMP doing the work!? I do believe you that you (think you) hear a difference, don't get me wrong! I just always think how much the brain is playing tricks with our hearing....."

I think your probably right about my brain playing tricks with my hearing. I watched a few dvd's last night to try it out and it sounds fine. I nearly came back and changed my comments about the sound in the early hours, but since there had been so many negative coments about this machine I think I had been desperately trying to find fault!

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like to admit it, but we are creatures of habit and get used to a certain sound.

There have been some negative remarks about this player, however there are also a lot of positive remarks. I've tried another budget player the Lecson 1000, yet never seen a single positive comment.

I think a lot of the negative feedback is also due too retailers restocking the equipment without actually getting it fixed. But I am out on a limb now as I have got no proof. I just think they can get away with it as the majority of the public not use all the features provided. For example it just makes me laught when I see so many of my friends who got a DVD connected to their little telly via a scart cable. They miss so much of what the format is capable of.

I have been very positive about this player, but I also made very clear that I use it for a specific purpose. I have only got the component outputs connected, set the player to progressive scan, connect the coaxial digital connection and have the multi-region set to auto. I can honestly say that I cannot fault it in that setup. Oh and I use it for playing my Photo CDs.

But no matter what others say, trust your own hearing and vision. However give it a few days to settle in.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,764
    For the money this is a very good player - not as sharp as some, but it played everything I put in it, and I think it was the only one that didn't have an issue with its progressive scan output in PAL.

If you need a player for a smaller screen (not a projector) then this one should do a good job - provided it's a good one and not a return of course.

Gary.

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So have you changed your mind about the projector bit now as you have tried it with a Nec projector yourself....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,764
    No, that comment was made after I'd tried all the DVD players - they were all tested on the NEC HT1000.

The softer image becomes less noticable the smaller the picture.

Gary.