1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a HS10 today from nexnix

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TT9, Jan 26, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I went down to nexnix in Horsham with the idea of viewing a Sony HS10 and leaving with one for a home trial.

Well I have arrived back home this evening with a big box and small change over two grand lighter in my wallet !

I was blown away by how good this thing was and made up my mind almost instantly. The picture was very brght and very clear and try as I might have to look for banding or screen door or any of the other artefacts I have read by form posters, they were simply just not visible to me. And at slightly over HALF the price of a plasma, I reckon its a fantastic deal. The plasma demo's on the wall at the other side of the room, which look almost powering and authorative in isolation, looked like little tiddly portables.

My decision to buy a projetor instead of a Plasma is probably a good deal down to you chaps on here. I have followed a lot of the threads for several weeks now and with ever reasoning prices I decided it was time to check out myself just at what point the technology was at. I was aware of LCD being the (alleged) poor relation of projectors and the issue re. black levels, dead pixels etc, but never having seen one of these in action went over today with an open mind. An hours viewing and I was still shaking my head in disbelief at the sheer grandeur and scale of it all. The picture was in my opinion faultless and awash with clear bright colours. Lovely.

I did not do any comparisons with other projectors and purposely this was so. I had decided before hand that if I was satisfied with the Sony then it would be good enough for me whatever its Peers were offering in alternative. I viewed it, I loved it, I shook my head a lot, so if any Barco owners want to tell me how much better theirs is, well I don't care because I am pleased with my projector and consider it a magnificent purchase. . . . .

Interestingly, I did lookout for black levels and fan noise I suppose from reading the postings on here and being aware that it could be a potential problem. Given some of the comments I think I was expecting the opening space seq of AOTC to be light grey and hardly being able to hear the film due to the nearby passing train ! I found nothing at all to put me off. I know this is subjective but to me black looks black and fan sounds like my pc monitor which hums gently in the background. I would describe myself as a enthusiast who likes a good movie or an album to relax to, not someone who is seeking AV perfection at all costs. Those into their line doublers, and scalers, and all sorts of things may complain that at a 6 inch viewing distance, pixels can clearly be made out, but folks, I assure you all, for the rest of us this is £2000 very well spent. A bargain.

One last sidenote, I spent a while comparing the image projected onto a painted wall, a cheap screen (sorry name escapes me!) and a full on electric Stewart GrayHawk £3000+ thing. I have to say, and this is from someone who had been guilty of 'brand name' buying in the past that in no circumstance whatsoever, and I mean this, could I justify ever spending a large amount of money on one of these things. I thought a painted wall was an adequate solution but a screen does seem to improve the image quality and viewing experice, but then there was not the slightest difference to the £250 screen and the Stewart. Not a jolt. Again, this is all subjective and different things might work for you but I consider the £1500 I had set aside for a screen saved money. Yes I will get one, and the electric roll ones are particularly smart but spend in excess of £500/£600 ? Never.

Anyway, instruction manaual is out. I have thrown up a couple of quick images for the lads here and dropped a few jaws on the floor !! I will spend the rest of the evening ticking about with the settings finding out what work for me. If anyone is thinking about one of these machine - get one. Without any hesitation I would recommend the Sony HS10.

And you could do a lot worse than giving Russell a call at nexnix. Great service, great bloke, great day. . . . .

Cheers All,
    Steve.

P.S. I didn't do the Panny/Pio/Hit/Sam plasma comparison - lost all interest in the things after seeing the images from the Sony.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got to agree about the Nexnix and the HS10 and the screens.

I bought a HS10 from them on Friday having home demed it the night before so took it and my calibrated PC in on Fri and compared the Stewart Screen with the Owl one I have at home, and I think I prefer the Owl, sure the Stewart hangs absolulty dead flat where the Owl curls a tiny bit at the edge, but you cant see it when theres a projected image on it anyway.

If I had a wall to project on I think that would do, but my screen comes down in front of some Patio Doors so I had to have a pulldown or electric, the electrics cool and not a wallet busting £3K for the Stewart, mine was £670 from Gordon, definatly better quality than the Draper but for similar money.

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was the name - Draper. The image looked fine on there to me as I said.

And £670 for an electric owl ? Well thats £70 over my RE-alloted budget :) but I reckon I could stretch that. Thank's for that, I think i'll check them out.

Steve.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi John

What size screen did you get for £670. I'm after a new 7ft electric and am considering the owl screen.

Thanks.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    8ft Screen, Contact Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV http://www.convergent-av.co.uk, all the advise you need, great service and of course a great price;) . I'm more than happy with mine and its been up for 6 months now, like I said after seeing the Stewart Firehawk I'm glad I didn't spend any more than I did.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    D'you mind me asking why you think it is better than the draper. I have an 8ft draper at the moment which is ok apart from a few edge curls.

Cheers.

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The material is thicker and hence it is heavier which contributes to it hanging flatter, the only curl is within the black borders of the screen, there are no ripples at all, just the slightest "indentation" which is a single mark parrallel to the top/bottom of the screen where it comes off the roll but this can only be seen when the lights are on as I have a light shining directly down the screen, even then you can not always see it, I am being hyper critical here;) . The Draper one that I saw as Nexnix had noticable ripples towards the top corner on one side. If this is typicle, then I would not be impressed.

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks John.

My Draper also has the top corner ripples you mention (top left - though they do not affect the pictue in any way at all that is even the slightest bit noticeable).

An Owl screen it will be for me then. Gordon??

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Did it come with the PJ multi cable?

Nex nix are now showing this as an extra for £85+VAT.

Cheers
    Rob.

10. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Are you talking about the cable with the HS10 ?

If you are then yes. It has component, S-video, and composite attachements. Also got a 'cinema filter', ferrite core.

Had a bit of a play about, changed setting from dynamic to cinema, fans much quiter now. Put filter on as well and helped blacks enormously. Was happy originally but even better now. Very pleased with purchase.

Cheers,
    Steve.

11. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Steve,

Will give them a call once I have sold my TV....

Cheers
    Rob.