Bought a house with Bose Acoustimass system…how do I upgrade?

tgrizz

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a home that has a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III sound system. The speakers are mounted on the walls near the ceilings.

I do like how small and professionally installed they are with the wires being ran through the wall, but I also recognize that they are not considered good speakers.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on how to upgrade the system? Would love to leverage the speaker wire that they already ran through the walls professionally but not sure what type of speakers to buy for my living room.

I’ve attached pics of the living room. Are there any smaller bookshelf speakers that I could just mount in place of the Bose cubes?

Want to note that I already have a Denon AVR 1400 receiver along with a Klipsch Reference R-610F 5.1 Home Theater pack from my previous apartment, but I don’t know where to put the floor speakers or center channel based off the room layout. I could put the floor speakers to the left and right of the fireplace, in front of the wooden columns, but my wife doesn’t like having the speakers like that when the Bose speakers are smaller and professionally mounted already. I also have no place to put the center channel. With that said, I am still thinking about potentially using this system, but with a phantom center, and then using the Bose speakers as Atmos speakers maybe? If not, I’m just going to set these up in a second room in the house.

Any advice? Any creative ideas on how to set up the Klipsch system with Bose as Atmos speakers, or some recommendations on speaker upgrades that help leverage the existing wiring and mounts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2B36590A-9323-498C-B4A0-47EA00EC7409.jpeg
    2B36590A-9323-498C-B4A0-47EA00EC7409.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 0F404061-42B9-4C9D-9C32-086FB7B7F4DB.jpeg
    0F404061-42B9-4C9D-9C32-086FB7B7F4DB.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 337F92BC-1600-41D1-AE36-328CFE8BCB15.jpeg
    337F92BC-1600-41D1-AE36-328CFE8BCB15.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 180

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Those speakers aren't really mounted anywhere useful to get decent sound other than with background, very casual music listening.
Even replacing the speakers in those positions makes little sense.

The best-case use I can see for them would be as Atmos speakers in a 5.1.4 system and using them as overheads and turning the rears 90 degrees and downwards towards your sofa, but it's far from ideal and you'd need to purchase a new 9 channel AVR. Then you'd still need 5 speakers plus a sub at the ground level.

It seems, while it might be a nice neat installation, little real thought has been placed into it.

tgrizz

Novice Member
Those speakers aren't really mounted anywhere useful to get decent sound other than with background, very casual music listening.
Even replacing the speakers in those positions makes little sense.

The best-case use I can see for them would be as Atmos speakers in a 5.1.4 system and using them as overheads and turning the rears 90 degrees and downwards towards your sofa, but it's far from ideal and you'd need to purchase a new 9 channel AVR. Then you'd still need 5 speakers plus a sub at the ground level.

It seems, while it might be a nice neat installation, little real thought has been placed into it.
I agree unfortunately. The speakers aren’t even placed at equal distances from the tv. The left ones go up against the left wall and the front right one is to the left of the beam (hidden in the first pic) and the rear right is like 7 feet to the right of the beam. No center speaker either.

So I guess putting the Klipsch system in place may be the best idea?

Left and right floor speakers in front of the wooden pillars where the fire place is, rear surround left and right bookshelf speakers on stands next to the couches, sub to the left of the front left speaker. Any suggestion on center speaker placement? Would it be crazy to get a top shelf to put on top of the tv and then put a center channel on top of that?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The centre is an issue, I certainly might try your idea of running a phantom first and seeing how you get on with it.

Sub, with it being an open room, you might have to try a few different placements and see how you get on. You could even try it near field, behind or to one side of your sofa.

You might be able to use the front 2x Bose, or replace them after you've tried it, as a Front Height Atmos to give you 5.1.2 or even try the rears if you can turn them in enough. Your AVR has the capability.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
BOSE - how does it sound?

Room - looks like a great living space but a big challenge in terms of surround sound, no matter how optimised your speaker placement will be.

Klipsch - have you tried the floor standing speakers (+Sub) in a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration?

Joe

tgrizz

Novice Member
BOSE - how does it sound?

Room - looks like a great living space but a big challenge in terms of surround sound, no matter how optimised your speaker placement will be.

Klipsch - have you tried the floor standing speakers (+Sub) in a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration?

Joe
The Bose sounds decent but bassy. Tough to make out what people are saying.

The volume is unbalanced too where it tends to be very loud during action scenes or when music is playing during a movie to the point I have to keep the remote near me so that I can turn down the volume just to turn it back up when normal dialogue starts again.

It sounds great to the average person and I’m not saying I’m an expert by any means, I am very new to surround sound systems, but I just know I can get better and that’s what bothers me.

I am thinking of just leaving it though and keeping the living room clean and open and then putting the 5.1 Klipsch system in my office/gaming/man cave room.

tgrizz

Novice Member
A separate question: the Bose system came with a Denon 3808ci AVR.

When I replace the existing 15 year old SONY Bravia with my newer 4K 65” tv, I should use the Denon 1400 with the Bose system, right?

And then use the Denon 3808ci with my Klipsch 5.1 setup in the office which will only have a 1080p tv? And then ideally upgrade the 3808ci down the line if i upgrade the 1080p tv to a 4K one itself?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The BOSE systems can work OK in a smaller space - with your large open space with high and wide speaker placement it is always going to sound pretty disjointed.

I can’t image swapping the AVR’s will make any difference to how the BOSE system sounds so if one AVR is a better match to the 4K TV than the other then it would make sense to swap them over.

Always a pain when someone goes to a lot of work with the decor and finish in a home but decides to install pretty basic kit with poor placement of loudspeakers and cables.

Joe

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Would those Bose be ok and right position for Atmos speakers?

mazon27091

Nice house, shame about the speakers. You could keep them and use them for background music. If you need a home cinema set-up start from scratch as this system is not fit for purpose. Atmos will be difficult too because of all of the angled ceilings. 7.1 will be the best option. Now will be the hard part negotiating with your partner about speakers and wires everywhere or some sort of cable management. Worst case scenario channelling walls and replastering but with your room looking so good it may be an uphill battle.

tgrizz

Novice Member
Nice house, shame about the speakers. You could keep them and use them for background music. If you need a home cinema set-up start from scratch as this system is not fit for purpose. Atmos will be difficult too because of all of the angled ceilings. 7.1 will be the best option. Now will be the hard part negotiating with your partner about speakers and wires everywhere or some sort of cable management. Worst case scenario channelling walls and replastering but with your room looking so good it may be an uphill battle.
Thank you!

I was able to install the 65” on a mantlemount.

I am now thinking of getting bookshelf speakers to sit on the mantle to the left and right of the tv. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am not sure if I should just use my Klipsch R41M bookshelf speakers or maybe there is another speaker that is longer/thinner, looking more like a floor standing speaker, but one that is small enough to rest on the mantle? One that could be good enough to compensate for no center channel? Or one to pair with a center channel that can be connected to the mantlemount sound bar attachment?

I can then also connect surround speakers for a 4.1 or 5.1 setup and sell the Bose system.

Attachments

• 075984DB-21FC-4534-A03C-441A75F91377.jpeg
    075984DB-21FC-4534-A03C-441A75F91377.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 118

bungieben

I'd butcher the fire surround and sink some long in wall speakers in the columns and a subwoofer where your bin is and drill a hole through to your av equipment so no cables showing.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom