Bought a flat, company gone bust – Haigh and Haigh

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by avinitski, Jan 16, 2008.

1. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Anyone know ANYTHING about a developer called Haigh and Haigh?

Bought a brand new flat from them some months ago, still not fully built yet, but im hearing they have gone bust, website down, phone numbers ringing out, emails getting bounce backs and no builders on the site! Thinking me and girlfriend could loose around £12000 deposit (incl solicitor fee etc).

Also came across this article, im buying in Manchester, this couple are in Crewe>
    http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.c...objectid=20326796&siteid=50020-name_page.html

Getting our solicitor on the case but these things take ages.

Anyone heard of Haigh and Haigh? Anyone in the building trade etc?

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Have you exchanged contracts and paid the money?

3. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,475
    Sounds like they've paid a 12K deposit with the balance to be paid on completion of the flat.

4. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most likely, £12k for an apartment is a bit cheap, even for Manchester.

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,197
    If you paid the deposit to the builder and they have since gone bust I think the deposit is very much at risk, possibly lost, unless you can reclaim part or all of it via the appointed reciever. A lot of builders do this to get out of paying for materials...once they go bust they open another company and continue trading. Fingers crossed that whoever ends up completing work on the building site will enter discussions with you in the hope of sorting things out. Good luck.

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    How did you pay the deposit? At that amount of money, I'd imagine a cheque, but if you used a credit card, then the card company will cover your loss.

7. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    paid deposit, got a mortgage for the rest, all approved.

already had to pay £999 to get the mortgage extension from Brittania, like they aint making enough money from my mortgage anyway! Oriignal offer was only valid for 6 months and the build has gone on longer so had to cough up £999 for a 1 minute phone call to brittania!

8. thefragile

thefragile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Haigh and Haigh are a well known company..... In what way has the company gone bust? Liquidated, bankrupt etc?

Go to CAB.... they'll be able to offer advice.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,532
    Is it the case that solicitors hold the deposit in good faith until the completion date? I paid a deposit on a house (granted not new build and not that huge amount of money), but I'm sure the deposit was managed at the solicitor level, not the seller. Check with your solicitor who carried out the arrangement.

10. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Deposits usually doesnt go through untill contratcs have been sighned. Your deposit probably would have been sent to your solicitor then sent to the company on completion day. Thats as much as I know Im affraid

11. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I also would have thought that the Money is with a solicitor which has to be in some protected account.

May also be worth posting this on Moneysavingforum, as there may be also more people who have experience of these matter.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I agree with this, your solicitor would not release any money until completion.
    Your solicitor is insured by the Law Society against loss.

13. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Firstly thanks for the responses, the solicitor holding onto the deposit sounds viable!

wow! Less than 24 hours later and searching goggle for Haigh and Haigh this thread is number 6!

14. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    ran out of money i believe?

Are you familiar with them? they seem to have been around since the 80's i think but my mate google doesn't come back with much.

15. thefragile

thefragile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Ill ask my dad about them he was in the trade, im fairly sure they were known-ish....

The way in which they have gone bust will affect how people who have paid them money are affected, they could have been liquidised (more something that happens with companies that carry stock), gone bankrupt or gone into recievership i believe...... I dont really know much and could be wrong but its worth finding out....

also have a look at companies house, they will have had to have been registered with them, i would imagine they were a limited company.

16. julieb

julieb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am also set to purchase a property from haigh and haigh but luckily i have only paid a reservation fee of £500. I have purchased from the development in crewe and i only found out 2 weeks ago that the company had gone into administration by reading it in the paper (the same article you had read about the couple from crewe).

I also have a mortgage offer in place until may but i wont be losing a great deal of money. I was told by my mortgage advisor that i wouldnt have to pay out again to extend the mortgage offer as it has been no fault of my own.

Have u been offered any incentives by haigh and haigh? The apartments in crewe come with the incentive that you have 5% deposit paid and £500 towards your mortgage payments for 2 years.

cant seem to get any information from anywhere!

17. Flatbroke

Flatbroke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered a flat with a £500 reservation fee at the block in Baguley Manchester in April last year. They were pushing very hard the mortgage contribution deal or cashback on completion. I later pulled out because there was very little work taking place (they told me they would be finished by June '07- still not finished now) and my mortgage offer was running out. Now I see the firm has gone bust I worry for other buyers who are expecting Haigh and Haigh to contribute to their mortgages for the next year or two. Maybe it's worth looking to see what deals any new developer comes up with in order to sell off what's left of their properties.

18. Rob Beecroft

Rob Beecroft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have put £500 down on one of these flats and also applied for a couple of moprtgages because things have gone wrong (very costly). I have been down to see the new builder, he said that the company taking over will not honour the cashback and he doesn't know where the £500 deposits have gone too. He does think that they will put the kitchens and bathrooms in, but they have no docs relating to what was specified. We (the buyer) have to proove what was contractually agreed in the way of Kitchens. Does anyone get the impression they knew this was going to happen, but left the cash back and stamp duty deal off the main contract so they never had to really adhere to it. I'm no expert at all, so if you are into law then please post.

Thanks

19. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    got a letter 2 weeks ago saying the build has indeed been taken over by another company whos name escapes me at the moment!

ive been told we will get the cashback if it was agreed, will have to look through all the paperwork just so we have backup as i know how difficult it is getting a few quid back from mobile cashback offers nevermind £12000!

god its been awful, just want to move in!

Rob you said you spoke to a builder onsite, would a builder really know about the cashback offers?

20. KATIEV

KATIEV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have purchased a property from Haigh and Haigh and put a res fee down back in April 06. They told me it would be ready for March 07, and as you know were still waiting. Me and my partner are fed up and want to pull out, but have been told if we do according to the contract we would be liable for 10% of the appartment price. Although we havent put a deposit down because they were going to pay our 5%, were worried they could take us to court and sue us for it. How did you manage to pull out of your contract, did Haigh and Haigh just allow you too, and had you already exchanged contracts. Do you or anyone know a way of getting out of the contract without occuring a penality, or do you think if we just pulled out anyway they would take us to court.

21. KATIEV

KATIEV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Does anyone know of a way of how to come out of the contract without occuring a penality, or has your solicitors been able to advise you. I dont want to loose my res fee but i would be willing to if they let me walk away from the contract without trying to make me pay them more money i.e through taking me to court etc, as we have found some other appartments we like and are desperate to move in.Does anyone know or do you think i should just walk away and chance it.:lease:Help

22. nasar73

nasar73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just speaking to solicitor Lisa Harding (HDM), she tells that we will have to wait for Lorna to come bac on site and she amy be able to to take thing further regarding the cash back. I was promised £3504, plus 5% deposit paid. I've exchanged... and have pad £1000 in reservation fees and extras. This has been painful, no communication at all from the new developers. Does anyone know who they are and how do we get in contact with them?

23. nasar73

nasar73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you go on site to meet the builders?

24. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    ive now managed to contact the people that have taken over the build.

they are called Wolsey Residential Finance, we asked our solicitors to contact Haigh & Haigh solicitors who then sent our solicitors a fax back basically stated work will commence shortly. this was a couple of weeks ago or so.

my girlfriend spoke to someone from there who had been on site the Friday before just gone, he said work will commence within the next 2-3 weeks, new completion date for our section of the flat is now June \ July, although with all the delays with this build so far im taking that completion date with a whole bucket of salt.

25. nasar73

nasar73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get any indication if you cashback offer was still valid? I have this in writing although it's not built into my contract. Not sure If the letter is a binding agreement.

26. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    we' ve been told any offers we got during sign up are still valid, although for some reason they want evidence of any extras we signed up for, for example full tiling of the bathrooms were extra, plus shower in the bath in the 2nd bathroom was extra too, surely they would have records of these "extras" we have purchased im thinking we do we have to prove we paid for them!?!

27. nasar73

nasar73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who did you get confirmation from that your cashback offer was still valid? I've asked my solicitor she has told me I would have to wait for Lorna to come back onsite and she wait speak to the new developers.

I've forwarded my credit card statements and order forms as proof of purchase for the extras, I paid for the shower and screen in the second bathroom. However I'm concerned about the white goods... fridge/freezer, washer dryer I don't have anything for this and this was part of the build.

Do you know if we are still going to get these? My mortgage offer expires on the 29th of Feb, not bothering re-applying until I have confirmed completion date.

28. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    the person from Wolsey, the new financial backers. whos Lorna again?

the white goods are part of the flat, freezer, washer, dish washer (oh goody!). as for as in concerned these are part of the flat just like the walls and floor, all the original brochures clearly state the white goods come with the flat.

going slightly off topic i enjoyed picking all the kitchen work surfaces and cupboards and handles, did you ever manage to do this?

our original offer ran out in around December 07, had to pay Brittania £999 to get another 6 month deal, ridiculous to say how much money they will make from us over 25+ years on the mortgage anyway!

just re-read your post from earlier, were you only offered £3504, plus 5% from Haigh & Haigh? when did you sign up?

29. nasar73

nasar73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first viewed the site in April, and again in May. Finally signed up in June, thought it would be a good investment for my poor pension. I was impressed with the spec, it stood out from Redrow down the road, the crappy builds you get from Barratts and George Wimpey.

I guess as I was the first few, I didn't get much of an incentive. Lorna is the original sales rep from Haigh & Haigh who will now be employed through Wolesley. I'm planning to go onsite this Friday to speak if I can. I would never pay £999 to extend the period, why didn't you just go to another lender?

30. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    we signed up in April \ May, not sure why we have such vastly different cash back offers, ours is £12200, thankfully have it in writing too!

we paid the £999 as either way even if we went to another lender there would be charges involved in that too plus we would have to do all the paperwork going backwards and forwards plus they would have to send surveyor and wait etc etc we just took the easy route as all paperwork was done so to speak.

when you talk about Lorna do you mean the woman on site in that little cabin, kind of a small show house, the woman we dealt with in there was called Carole.