Bought a banned Xbox :(

ukbootlegs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bought a third 360 for the house to use as a media extender.

However, it transpires its a banned xbox and I cannot play xvids on it.

Is there a way to play these from my pc to the xbox instead? ie using TVersity or something?

I didn't know it was a banned one when I got it :(

Cheers

You should still be able to stream from a PC using TVersity. You may have to update your Xbox via CD/DVD by downloading the update on a PC, burn it on a disc and then play in the 360. There was a thread here in the last day or so about it.

Kind of ironic, given your name. :devil: :p

IIRC there really isn't a solution. Once M$ ban the box there's no way around getting online to use any of the features, although, I could be totally wrong (I'm just going by what I've heard). Is there any way you could get your money back?

I think i read the console needs to be signed into live for playing certain files.

so as its banned, theres no way you can get it to work.

Return it if you can.

the codec support for xvid is a separate download, that can only be done over live.. so I suspect you're buggered I'm afraid.

would it not be less hassle to burn the files on a dvd as data and play it on a dvd player?

Kind of ironic, given your name. :devil: :p

to be honest, i get miffed at how everyone assumes my nick means dodgy things

it all goes back to the day when bootlegs meant live recordings that are allowed by bands, such as u2 etc.

but it has been misconstrued these days :(

even tho, mashups are also called bootlegs.

you should return it if possible as he never said its banned so should you wish to play games on it on live you cant

it all goes back to the day when bootlegs meant live recordings that are allowed by bands

oh i remember collecting bootlegs back in the day!! NIN, red hot chilli peppers etc. back in the early/mid 90's there was a shop in my town that sold every bootleg you could think of!!! strange how it dissappeared.

bit off topic......:oops:

oh i remember collecting bootlegs back in the day!! NIN, red hot chilli peppers etc. back in the early/mid 90's there was a shop in my town that sold every bootleg you could think of!!! strange how it dissappeared.

bit off topic......:oops:
oh well, each thread has to have its off topic post

have you asked the guy about it being banned OP?

gonna have to try, but it was bought from a mate of a mate.

ironic thing is, i bought it as a media extender, not to play backups.

Considering you know the whereabouts of this friend of a friend i'd be paying him a visit if i was you mate. Hes obviously palmed it off on you.:thumbsdow Fair enough if he told you and you paid a reasonable price considering its useless compared to a fully working machine to most people. Surely its only worth £40 or something.

Considering you know the whereabouts of this friend of a friend i'd be paying him a visit if i was you mate. Hes obviously palmed it off on you.:thumbsdow Fair enough if he told you and you paid a reasonable price considering its useless compared to a fully working machine to most people. Surely its only worth £40 or something.

yeh i only paid £60 for it, but I don't want it for games at all.

oh well, i'll give it to my nephews or sommat.

one for their bedroom rather than the living room one i bought them for xmas

Send it back to Microsoft and say its got the RROD. Or just use it until it gets the RROD.

Whats the worst they will do, they are not going to plug it in and then plug in the ethernet cable to see if its banned.

And if they do see its banned, again what is the worst they will do, send it back to you.

Its what I would do in your situation, if you were unable to return it to the seller for a refund.

Microsoft shaft it's customers regarding the console, and strangely everyone seems to want to jump in to support them for it.

Why should we then bow down to this when we have a problem.

Send it in for repair.

However on a side note if you just want it for Xvids, why didn't you buy an Xbox1, and put XBMC on it, it wipes the floor in terms of playback abilities and the files it will play (quicktime, real player etc), and you can also buy the consoles for £10 from Game (or at least you could)..

welllllllllllll, it's not faulty hehe

and who knows how long it would take to generate the error?

i'll just take the hit and let my nephews have it.

prob buy a 2nd hand one from game instead.

welllllllllllll, it's not faulty hehe
If it doesn't do what you expected it to do, so its faulty in my opinion.

Why should you need to buy two consoles.

As you you can probably see I dislike Microsoft immensely, and trust me there is a reason for this, and that is because of their attitude towards their customers and these pathetic Xbox's they made.

They treat their customers as if they are idiots, that they just grifted from

On the otherhand any problems with the PS3, Sony go absolutely out of their way to sort out any problems and ensure you are happy. There is a reason the consoles are more expensive, as you pay for service like this.

There is a thread in the PS3 section about how many people are pleased with the customer service of PS3 when any problems developed.

I'd love to see one exists for Microsoft.

As you you can probably see I dislike Microsoft immensely, and trust me there is a reason for this, and that is because of their attitude towards their customers and these pathetic Xbox's they made.

On the otherhand any problems with the PS3, Sony go absolutely out of their way to sort out any problems and ensure you are happy. There is a reason the consoles are more expensive, as you pay for service like this.

There is a thread in the PS3 section about how many people are pleased with the customer service of PS3 when any problems developed.

Firstly, the OP's problem is not with MS, it's with the guy he bought the console from. MS have absolutely no control over what someone does with a console after purchase, so to imply that they're in the wrong here is misguided.

To the OP: I suppose it depends how well you know this mate of a mate, so you'll need to weigh up whether or not it's worth the hassle of challenging him on it. I know brand new Arcade consoles were down as low as £99 for a while - you may be able to pick one of these up eg from Zavvi in their closing down sale? I'd probably do the same as you and bite the bullet on this one.

Back to anthony ;): I acknowledge that the build quality of the 360 is poor, but to say that MS do nothing for their customers is an outright lie, and is at best an attempt to bait people into starting a flaming session.

Last year MS announced a $billion 3-year extended warranty covering the RROD. They also developed an updated dashboard designed to take the strain off the main cause of the overheating which generated the RROD. They've remedied DRM issues that infuriated their customers, and have continued to expand on Live, the cornerstone of their business model for the 360.

Even 360 users who have suffered the dreaded RROD have (if the forums here are anything to go by) generally gotten a result from MS customer support - there are very few who don't get some form of compensation. (Chipped/pirated consoles being the exception.)

In terms of hardware, they have improved their chipsets so they're less likely to overheat, and by most accounts the new builds seem to be less prone to overheating. Yes, MS rushed their product to market, and yes, it caused them significant PR damage in the short term. However, in the medium to long term, they have established a loyal user base who will continue to use their products because they're happy with their lot.

Damn, I can't believe I rose to this. It's past my bedtime. :rotfl:

If the console is banned then the serial number will be tagged on their system as warranty void because it has been modified. They are well within their rights to void a warranty like this because its stated in the EULA you agree to by using their console.

Sony wouldn't help a customer out who owned a console that was modified, regardless of the sob story they posed on the phone.

To the OP - You seem to know your choices, either get the guy to refund it or give it a home to someone else.

Hes a ps3 fanboy
Ive had my original 360 for 3 1/2 years now, never failed or rrod. My bro's ps3 has gone 3 times in 6months. And i have a 3 year warrantry you dont. And sony are t*ts sometimes, as my bro has learnt

Hes a ps3 fanboy
Ive had my original 360 for 3 1/2 years now, never failed or rrod.
Why am I a fanboy because I have been treat well by Sony, and like dirt by Microsoft?

If so then yes I am a fanboy. But then I could argue I am an HMV fanboy, Tesco fanboy, and any other company boy who I have been treat well by and thus say positive things about over those that I have not.

For example I have been equally treat like dirt by PC World, but well by Ebuyer and Scan does that make me a Scan/Ebuyer fanboy too?

I actually own both consoles. And bought the Xbox360 first.

And very much dislike Sony as a company, read my posts around this time last year regarding the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war.

I was firmly in the HD-DVD camp, as I disliked Sony for some years, mainly due to their rootkit trojan situation in 2006.

But I bought the PS3 in August due to wanting to watch Blu-Rays, I had some problems with the console and Sony went out of their way to sort it out. And gave me a brand new upgraded model console.

Snap back to Microsoft, I had the console which did RROD, and this is where the problems started, at the moment the returned console is faulting and the gits refuse to respond to my letters and every other form of communication. On this and the pathetic 3 month warranty only has one month left.

I acknowledge that the build quality of the 360 is poor, but to say that MS do nothing for their customers is an outright lie, and is at best an attempt to bait people into starting a flaming session
Thanks, its very nice to be called a liar.

And this furiour towards me is only because it seems I said this one line?

Anthony1uk said:
Microsoft shaft it's customers regarding the console, and strangely everyone seems to want to jump in to support them for it.

Or possibly was it this one?

Anthony1uk said:
I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I was trying to offer a solution to the original poster.

Last year MS announced a $billion 3-year extended warranty covering the RROD.
They did this because they were quite literally forced to do it, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Solely because the machines they built were naff, and they were refusing to repair them, as for example in America they only offered 3 months warranty nothing more, and due to this they were charging people to do it.

And acting like the consoles were perfect and it was these people mishandling them that was causing them to break down.

Even 360 users who have suffered the dreaded RROD have (if the forums here are anything to go by) generally gotten a result from MS customer support - there are very few who don't get some form of compensation.

So far I one of the few. They even now refuse to repair the returned console (its still under warranty) and refuse to respond to my correspondence.

I can presume because I stated that I will not accept another Xenon console when this is repaired as the console is defective, and their three month warranty is not enough to cover the console breaking down as its clear the defects come into play usually well after three months.

In terms of hardware, they have improved their chipsets so they're less likely to overheat, and by most accounts the new builds seem to be less prone to overheating.

Try getting one off them when sending your POS Xenon to them, which cost you £250-£300 by the way.

See how far you get.

And according to a formal response from Microsoft they have not changed their chipsets or anything else inside the consoles, the consoles are exactly the same now as they were in 2005.

******** I know, but that is this helpful supportive companies response on the matter when you complain about getting another Xenon, which in turn is faulting again. And refuse to receive another.

They made the Opus specifically to replace faulty Xenons due to the defect, but again when you ask about this, and say that you would like the console repaired with this or the Jasper components, there is no such thing as Opus or any other different console component in the console.

Damn, I can't believe I rose to this.

Rose to what?, the two sentences I highlighted above?

And sony are t*ts sometimes, as my bro has learnt
Does that mean I can label you and your brother as Microsoft Fanboys? Just because you have had big problems with Sony?

Does that also mean if or when you report the problems you or your brother had with Sony, I can call you an out and out liar for it?

Or imply that what you will have said occurred with Sony above, actually never occurred?

Last edited:

His serial number will be logged as a banned console so there's no chance he will be able to return it to Microsoft.

p.s. keep your anti-MS views for a more suitable thread :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom