Bought 4D registration plates (EBay) and ...

D

Deleted member 771081

I'm concerned that they requested my V5C and photocard driving license.
I'm worried about identity theft and registration plate cloning etc.
This wasn't Halfords but an EBay store.

It isn't like Halfords who just look at your doc then give you it back this company asked for a picture of these items and it is apparently to satisy DVLA but Halfords don't retain documents, what can I do? can I send a GDPR take down once I get my plates?

Any advice gratefully received

Are they replacement plates for a VRM already on a car, of for a new personal registration, or 'show' plates?

Offer to send them a photo of the vehicle with the number plate showing and a utility bill in the same picture with your name and address on (they'll need those for delivery); or a photo of the registration transfer certificate.
If they're for show plates which aren't legal for road use, query whether the still need the proof.
Remember, they're just doing their job as defined by law asking for the proof of entitlement to use the vehicle registration.
(I'm sure there's a way to send documents or images digitally via Ebay Messages)

They're required by law to check that you're entitled to use the registration number you're ordering plates for; if you're buying online sending photos is the only way to do that really. You can ask them to delete the photos afterward, but you'll never know for certain whether they have it not. I would presume they delete messages/photos routinely if they are a busy seller though.
If you're that worried then just buy in store. Halfords should be open.

Just as an FYI we have a motoring section this should have been asked in.

They are 4D gel plates, same reg as is already on the car, Not show plates with the coloured tinge behind the lettering, They say they need to keep the image to satisfy DVLA however Halfords don't do this so at a loss as to why they'd have to, could i just do a GDPR request after I get the plates, I don't see why they need to retain this info, and am concerned about plate cloning, and identity theft.

Also I see you are a moderator, couldn't the thread just get moved to the right section, I am new here and finding my feet and did look for advice and couldn't locate that either

If you are that concerned then don't buy the 4d plates from them.

Check it has a manufacturers post code on or the car will fail its MOT, I got caught out by that. The Company did send a gel post code to stick on.

concerned about plate cloning
Nobody needs your paperwork for this. I could go and get a set made up of any numberplate in the UK in minutes without any paperwork, it's not difficult.

Nobody needs your paperwork for this. I could go and get a set made up of any numberplate in the UK in minutes without any paperwork, it's not difficult.
I'm afraid that is strictly not true, it is a legal requirement and if you went to somewhere say Halfords, they'd ask for this information prior to the plates being made up, if companies haven't asked you they have technically broken DVLA guideleines.

Check it has a manufacturers post code on or the car will fail its MOT, I got caught out by that. The Company did send a gel post code to stick on.
thanks for the heads up, sent a message but checked the images on the EBay listing and they do show brand name postcode and legal mark for compliance

...if companies haven't asked you they have technically broken DVLA guideleines.
But what is the risk of comeback on the plate maker, except in the instance of an undercover purchase?

There's two broad areas here, plates to display vehicle registrations, which must be ANPR standard readable, and the obligation is on the plate maker to verify entitlement and not vary the format from that required (allegedly including their postcode - why would I, with a 20 year old car not including plate maker's postcode, need to have that on a replacement plate?),
and
Nameplates made using the standard parts (background, border, alphanumeric characters), eg. lorry driver's names displayed in the cab window; no verification required.
What's to stop a valid vehicle registration being purchased under the second type?

Last edited:
I'm afraid that is strictly not true, it is a legal requirement and if you went to somewhere say Halfords, they'd ask for this information prior to the plates being made up, if companies haven't asked you they have technically broken DVLA guideleines.
You're worried about cloned plates. Do you really think that somebody with cloned plates on their car is going to worry about how legal they are?

I can go to a place that makes show plates without the need for any paper work and nobody is going to care. I've run show plates on my own car (standard sized lettering, just plain and no other details) for years without anybody batting an eyelid.

Hence why they’re called “show” plates.
exactly why my response was to those who suggested a website who make "show plates" which aren't road legal and what I am seeking are road legal plates.
You're worried about cloned plates. Do you really think that somebody with cloned plates on their car is going to worry about how legal they are?

I can go to a place that makes show plates without the need for any paper work and nobody is going to care. I've run show plates on my own car (standard sized lettering, just plain and no other details) for years without anybody batting an eyelid.
And as for cloned plates I refer to those criminals who would clone my plates and use them illegally on a car which is not mines.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as for cloned plates I refer to those criminals who would clone my plates and use them illegally on a car which is not mines.
Do you think they care if the plates aren't legal? They're doing an illegal thing....they aren't going to worry about having the correct paperwork to get some legal plates :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom