Bought 3D TV: new amp needed now. hdmi 1.3 or 1.4?

radical ed

Hi

Ive just bought a new telly. The samsung le46750 3d to be pricise. Its a stonker. Unfortuanatly my amp isnt. Its an old sony stg dg820. From 10 years ago. This amp still works flawlessly, but the new TV has a lot of processing and gubbins, so now the audio is out of sync, and the amp dosent have an audio delay. So.....

New amp time! Woohoo!!

Im not looking for anything too crazy, i have the jamo 5.1 102's, PS3, and a V+HD box so need somthing to go with them.

Im thinking about the sony STR-DG820, as im upgrading from a sony and like the sound. But its only 1.3. Ive read a lot of conflicting reports about wether 1.3 can handle a full 3d signal, or if the amp would downscale to 1080i or even show anything at all.

Whats the general consensus? Can 1.3 handle 3d? Since all my sources are 1.3, would i see any benefit from having a 1.4 amp? I dont need any of the extra gubbins that 1.4 brings; ethernet, return path, so would a 1.3 amp sufffice?

Im not set on a sony amp, so if anyone has any better ideas, let me know!

Thanks in advance.

ilise

Hi

Ive just bought a new telly. The samsung le46750 3d to be pricise. Its a stonker. Unfortuanatly my amp isnt. Its an old sony stg dg820. From 10 years ago. This amp still works flawlessly, but the new TV has a lot of processing and gubbins, so now the audio is out of sync, and the amp dosent have an audio delay. So.....

New amp time! Woohoo!!

Im not looking for anything too crazy, i have the jamo 5.1 102's, PS3, and a V+HD box so need somthing to go with them.

Im thinking about the sony STR-DG820, as im upgrading from a sony and like the sound. But its only 1.3. Ive read a lot of conflicting reports about wether 1.3 can handle a full 3d signal, or if the amp would downscale to 1080i or even show anything at all.

Whats the general consensus? Can 1.3 handle 3d? Since all my sources are 1.3, would i see any benefit from having a 1.4 amp? I dont need any of the extra gubbins that 1.4 brings; ethernet, return path, so would a 1.3 amp sufffice?

Im not set on a sony amp, so if anyone has any better ideas, let me know!

Thanks in advance.

It is a one way ticket. If you want
1. to connect the amp with the tv
2. hook any other device, especially a blu ray 3D,on the amp
then go for the HDMI 1.4
Do use 1.4 cables all the way down. From connecting the tv with the amp as well as connecting any other device with the amp.
The difference in prise is negligible.
Nick

gekko21

The Onkyo 608 is on my list of amps to consider. It has hdmi 1.4 inputs but is quite a bit more expensive than the Sony amp you posted. I'm also interested to hear what else should be up for consideration too though.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom