• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bottle necking?

amobes

Standard Member
Hi, i play bf3 on ultra setting (MSAA off) and most of the time i get a stable 45-65 fps, but i have noticed sometimes my fps will drop as low as 25, i have a gpu usage display on, and my GPU is only working at 60%-65% most of the time(lowest 35% highest %75). i was thinking that my cpu may be bottle necking my gpu but after searching online alot people are saying the i3 wouldn't bottle neck the 7850.

So what i want to know is why is my gpu only running at 60% and why am i getting as low as 25fps but then as high as 70fps, is this big drop in fps normal? (obviously different parts of the map are more demanding than others) but why such a steep drop?

Gpu: Radeon 7850 2gb (OC'd core clock: 1050mhz - Memory 1250mhz)

Cpu: i3 3220

Psu: Coolmaster 550watt bronze 60+

Ram: 2x4gb

Last edited:

LJx

The CPU is not bottlenecking the graphics card in BF3, if anything at all it i the other way round. You could upgrade the CPU and see little or no improvement in performance. If you upgraded the graphics card you would definitely see an improvement

dacads

The CPU is not bottlenecking the graphics card in BF3, if anything at all it i the other way round. You could upgrade the CPU and see little or no improvement in performance. If you upgraded the graphics card you would definitely see an improvement

You must be joking, I've seen various comments regarding 3220 bottlenecking the 7850, there's no way in hell the 7850 is bottlenecking the CPU. Upgrading the GPU to a 7950 etc will only make matters worse.

amobes

Standard Member

If my gpu was bottlenecking then why would it only be at 60% usage whilst playing bf3?

LJx

look up CPU scaling for BF3, it's the graphics card, that CPU is plenty for that game

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom