Boston

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Having long been an admirer of Bostons work (yes I know that it veers towards MOR territory) and owning 'dont look back', I decided to splash out on their first album for the princely sum of £7.99.

Picking up the CD, got me wondering just how good the mastering would be as its an old album, it was likely to be nowhere near as good as the original vinyl release.

Imagine my suprise when I noticed SBM (sony bit mapped) and ...wait for it................SACD ????? This has never been mentioned as a SACD release considering the significance of the album....when, where,how??

Anyone else come across this?

Oh, sorry multichannel fans...........its not m/c......just plain old fashioned stereo.

Kenny Glasgow said:
I had more than a feeling that this was a hybrid, but don't look back Karkus

Groooaaan :rolleyes:

it was likely to be nowhere near as good as the original vinyl release.
It isn't. ;) The SACD is a lot better than the CD, even if it is only stereo. I haven't got it, but I know a woman who has............ :D

Karkus,

Can I ask where you got it and what's the catalogue number?

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, theres a load on ebay ranging from £3-4 to 7.99.

Overkill,

Thanks for the input, but the ones on EBay seem to be the standard CD version and not hybrid SACD's. It's the Hybrid SACD format I'm looking for.

Cheers,
Steve

Sorry Steve! Amazon are doing it, but at a staggering £19.99! My friend picked it up in the US (for £10.00!) so no help there I'm afraid.

steve1056 said:
Karkus,

Can I ask where you got it and what's the catalogue number?

Cheers,
Steve

HMV sale.

theres loads of numbers so

EPC 489412 2 This seems to be the number on the spine and most prominent or the back of the box

CB681

CDM

02-489412-10

These numbers also appear on the rear of the box.

Oh yes and it sounds fantastic even without the SACD.

Oh yes and it sounds fantastic even without the SACD.
Did I read somewhere that Scholz re-mastered the CD himself in 93'?

overkill said:
Did I read somewhere that Scholz re-mastered the CD himself in 93'?

it says Mark Wilder of Sony Music studios, NY

Thanks for your help guys.

it says Mark Wilder of Sony Music studios, NY
Sorry. I'm sure I read (think it was Q) that Scholz re-mastered the album at some point? Must be the old memory playing up.............

Now promise you won't laugh, but after all this, I already had this version. :blush:
Got it in an HMV sale for about £4.99 a while back, but had absolutely no idea that it was also SACD. :thumbsup:
Have to try it again with the SACD layer.

steve1056 said:
Now promise you won't laugh, but after all this, I already had this version. :blush:
Got it in an HMV sale for about £4.99 a while back, but had absolutely no idea that it was also SACD. :thumbsup:
Have to try it again with the SACD layer.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you nutter, bet your the same bloke that reckons his Yaris has been nicked :rotfl:

karkus30 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you nutter, bet your the same bloke that reckons his Yaris has been nicked :rotfl:

LOL, you're right -- have you seen it? ;)

BTW, have now checked my disc and although it says SACD on a small label on the disc, there is no SACD layer on my disc according to my Denon 2200. :confused:

Have to ask this, are you absolutely certain that your disc has SACD and CD layers? Does your DVD player specifically show that SACD is playing?

I'm wondering if this disc has been re-released with the same catalogue number.

Thanks for checking.

Steve

steve1056 said:
LOL, you're right -- have you seen it? ;)

BTW, have now checked my disc and although it says SACD on a small label on the disc, there is no SACD layer on my disc according to my Denon 2200. :confused:

Have to ask this, are you absolutely certain that your disc has SACD and CD layers? Does your DVD player specifically show that SACD is playing?

I'm wondering if this disc has been re-released with the same catalogue number.

Thanks for checking.

Steve

Steve,

seems like your right. My Denon 2900 doesnt pick it up either :confused:

Trade description act seems to have been bypassed.........wonder how I would stand in a confrontation.........Id get my money back for certain....but what if I pushed for a SACD version for the same price ?

Karkus,

AFAIK, the SACD version is just that and not a hybrid disc. I think Play have it for about £15. To be honest, I think the remastered CD version that we have sounds great and I'm not sure that the SACD would sound any better. After all, I paid less than a fiver for it.

At least I don't feel so stupid now!

Now where is that Yaris of mine???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

steve1056 said:
Karkus,

AFAIK, the SACD version is just that and not a hybrid disc. I think Play have it for about £15. To be honest, I think the remastered CD version that we have sounds great and I'm not sure that the SACD would sound any better. After all, I paid less than a fiver for it.

At least I don't feel so stupid now!

Now where is that Yaris of mine???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It does sound pretty good and was pretty cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom