Boston XS Digital Cinema - PS3 Setup

Googolplex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've just bought a Boston XS Digital Cinema 2.1 setup and I have a PS3 which I've hooked up with an optical cable.

The problem is, even though the 2.1 system has built-in Dolby Digital decoding, when I watch a Blu-Ray with a DTS(HD) only soundtrack, the 2.1 system can't decode it.

So... I've set the PS3 audio out to 'Multiple Out' (as we may want to watch through the TV and not the 2.1 late at night)

And I've set the 'Optical Out' to 'Linear PCM' so regardless of what the soundtrack is, the PS3 down mixes it to '2ch Linear PCM' and pumps it via optical into the Boston 2.1 system.

The sound is fine and obviously as it's an older 2.1 system I'm not going to get real HD audio, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best 2ch signal via optical into the 2.1 Boston.

Can anybody help here? Or am I already doing all I can? Obviously, if I was only listening to older DVD's with Dolby or Blu-Ray's with Dolby only, I could let the 2.1 Boston do the decoding by sending it the raw Bitstream signal via optical, but then I can't listen to DTS blu-rays. So I'm gonna have to let the PS3 do the decoding and down-mix it via optical?

Help! lol.

- Googolplex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom