Boston Acoustics Subs?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bobbler, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have not heard of them (or heard them) personally, but I noticed that they do a wireless sub which would be an ideal solution as we are changing our room around and my MS 308 has died on its arse at the minute. There is going to be no room for the sub up front which means I have to put it around the other side of the room looking at around 12m of cable run around the room which is not ideal really. There is a plug socket in that point though.
    Is it generally a decent enough company? I am having hard time finding much in the way or reviews and stuff for them including the item I am looking at here - BOSTON ACOUSTICS HPS8Wi << UK >> AVLAND Boston Acoustics HPS-8Wi Wireless Subwoofer though can be had cheaper by about half that.
    Any opinions appreciated.
    Or alternatives appreciated also, would be looking at around a total of £150 budget really to pair with a Cambridge Azur 540R and MS Premier surrounds/centre/fronts.
    Room size is 6.5x3.5 meters wide though we only use half of it for living space.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Boston Acoustics is a well respected American speaker manufacturers and I had a pair of their rear speakers some years ago.

I am dubious about whether or not their subwoofer is any good on two grounds. Firstly an 8" driver in a small box is hardly going to pressurise any room properly as many of us have drivers that size in our main speakers and secondly I am equally dubious about the wireless technology on the basis that if it really worked well everyone else would be using it.

I think that perhaps this sub may be aimed at the PC market and not the more critical home cinema market

3. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The common denominator seems to be that they are all cheap n cheerful which implies to be that the technology isn't ready for man sized subwoofers

5. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the info guys.

Ian J - the sub size hadn't really even crossed my mind, both the driver size and the box are more or less similar to the MS308 (and the well respected BK Gemini) that I have presently and it has always been more than enough for me bass wise. I also have a similar spec'd RE8 in my car which constantly brings a smile to face for how it kicks and gives a very controlled bass sound.
    I need something that is going to be fairly wife (and neighbour) friendly so unfortunately small is where its going to be, as much as I would love say an SVS or something its just not going to be compatible with other constraints - namely budget.
    I do know what you are saying, but there seems little in the way of huge drivers in small cabinets in this sort of price range. I dont really see much alternatives, I may have to pay a visit to Richers or similar and see if they have any thing else.