Boss unacceptable covid test request - Opinions?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Had a communication from boss saying after Christmas we shall be expected to perform a covid test on ourselves outside in the car-park.
In your car/bike before being allowed to enter the building.

Now I can mention this is all baloney as we have various food wagons and people come and go and distancing is a joke, so what's the point.
Plug the fact that they bought these a while ago so the real reason it probably just they may as well use them as already spent the money.

Now, I don't have any problem with this, even if it's fundamentally pointless in the workplace.
What I strongly object to is the type of test they have bought and what they expect us to perform on ourselves without any training.

It's the really horrid, long deep, poke this thing deep deep into the nose, right into the middle of your skull type early test.
Not the newer, just an inch into your nose, or in the mouth to the back of your throat type test.

These early tests were said be everyone to be horrid, very unpleasant, and I'm sure require knowledge and a degree of careful/experience to do correctly, as no one ever shoves anything that deep into their nose ever.

I don't want to refuse the test, but I'm very unhappy about before forced to do THIS TYPE of test on myself, simply because they happened to buy the early ones and want to use them up.

This is a video of the test

Would you be happy doing this in your car, basically in the early dark morning without knowing what you were doing?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
No way. It is totally unnatural to shove a swab down the throat and I sincerely doubt the effectiveness. I speak from experience.

deon444

Distinguished Member
Done 3 of these tests in the last few months,no big deal imo,the back of throat can be slightly awkward but hardly anything to be moaning about

MaryWhitehouse

No way. It is totally unnatural to shove a swab down the throat and I sincerely doubt the effectiveness. I speak from experience.

Why?

Any way to the OP it’s no big deal, don’t worry about it. That said did I miss when you have to sit in the car park for days while it’s processed?

Inked

Distinguished Member
My wife had to carry out this test on our 8 year old daughter the other week. She was fine (and thankfully tested negative). (EDIT - I now realise that it would not have been such an invasive test that my wife carried out. It doesn’t however change my opinion unless medically unsafe to carry omit out on yourself)

If my work wanted me to be tested I’d happily do it to ensure we were able to work in the safest environment.

IMO a grown man should act like one and suck it up for the greater good.

(Plus @Tempest, if my eyes can manage to survive looking at some of your hideous purchases, I’m sure your nose can manage a little swab ;) )

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

I don't see a problem to be honest, there are a few covid tests which need to go to the back of the throat.
It may well be that he didn't have any choice on which test to get due to demand.
The main query would actually be what happens after staff have taken the test. I thought these ones had to go away to a lab for processing so what's his plan while you all wait for your results?

Edit: ignore my last part, the video didn't load up the first time I looked at the thread so I didn't realise it was confirmed as a quick result test.

Last edited:

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Just to note, I'm ok with things in the back of my throat/gag reflex.
It's when something it supposed to go into your nose, then about 4" or more further into your NOSE !

It's pointless as 2 hours later a food wagon which goes from company to company will come around with zero social distancing and no face masks, which renders the whole thing pointless anyway!

MaryWhitehouse

MaryWhitehouse

Just to note, I'm ok with things in the back of my throat/gag reflex.
It's when something it supposed to go into your nose, then about 4" or more further into your NOSE !

Lol it’s really nothing to worry about. There are plenty of uncomfortable invasive procedures. This isn’t one of them.

McGherkin

Done 3 of these tests in the last few months,no big deal imo,the back of throat can be slightly awkward but hardly anything to be moaning about

You 100% did not do this test. You did the one where you go inside your nostril.

OP, I'm pretty sure that it must be done by a professional since you are going right through to your throat from your nose. Even if you did attempt to do it by yourself the likelihood is that you'll not do it correctly.

aVdub

Banned
Did one a few weeks ago at a drive in testing station and it really is not that bad and much better than the thumb up the bum and mouth test.
:D

deon444

Distinguished Member
You 100% did not do this test. You did the one where you go inside your nostril.

OP, I'm pretty sure that it must be done by a professional since you are going right through to your throat from your nose. Even if you did attempt to do it by yourself the likelihood is that you'll not do it correctly.
Actually I did do that test x3, was the only home test available at the time, where you put it at your tonsils and and then put it up your nose.

Like I said,it wasn't to difficult to doe

tom 2000

Distinguished Member

tom 2000

Distinguished Member

At my drive in they threw the kit through the window.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies and I understand the differing views.
I guess I'm a bit annoyed as I know it's simply because the have already bought the tests, these old original ones, as opposed to the newer less invasive ones.

There was no consultation, and the boss is a bully who basically tells you what you are going to do and that's that.

It's an utter waste of time, as I said, 2 hours after, the food wagon will come around, with zero masks/social distancing, so that's the whole thing made pointless.

And you are supposed to be expected to do this, in your car, in the dark, without any training etc etc.
I'm not even sure he can force you to do this yourself. I mean hell you are not even required to simply wear a mask if it distresses you legally.
Let alone forced to do an invasive test, as I say in the dark in your car with no qualified person around.

IronGiant

What exactly are these newer less invasive tests? My kids were tested before coming home (on the 27th) and that still involved having a swab shoved all the way up their noses until their eyes watered.

McGherkin

What exactly are these newer less invasive tests? My kids were tested before coming home (on the 27th) and that still involved having a swab shoved all the way up their noses until their eyes watered.
If done properly the 'less' invasive test will still make your eyes water. It goes up to the top corner of your nose by your eye.

The more invasive test goes perpendicular to your face, at the base of your nose, and 3-4 inches back into your skull to a point approximately between your ears, usually accompanied by plenty of retching, sneezing etc. It looks like a magic trick - and it is, the Human Blockhead is the trick where you hammer 6 inch nails into your nose, and it follows the same path the bud takes . It takes a lot of training for professional magicians to be able to stick things that far into the nasal cavity without sneezing etc as well as risking inflammation/damage to the mucous membranes deep inside the nose, apart from of course all the people in this thread who claimed to have done it themselves with no problem whatsoever.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
If done properly the 'less' invasive test will still make your eyes water. It goes up to the top corner of your nose by your eye.

The more invasive test goes perpendicular to your face, at the base of your nose, and 3-4 inches back into your skull to a point approximately between your ears, usually accompanied by plenty of retching, sneezing etc. It looks like a magic trick - and it is, the Human Blockhead is the trick where you hammer 6 inch nails into your nose, and it follows the same path the bud takes . It takes a lot of training for professional magicians to be able to stick things that far into the nasal cavity without sneezing etc as well as risking inflammation/damage to the mucous membranes deep inside the nose, apart from of course all the people in this thread who claimed to have done it themselves with no problem whatsoever.
Now now. That’s not the correct attitude.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies and I understand the differing views.
I guess I'm a bit annoyed as I know it's simply because the have already bought the tests, these old original ones, as opposed to the newer less invasive ones.

There was no consultation, and the boss is a bully who basically tells you what you are going to do and that's that.

It's an utter waste of time, as I said, 2 hours after, the food wagon will come around, with zero masks/social distancing, so that's the whole thing made pointless.

And you are supposed to be expected to do this, in your car, in the dark, without any training etc etc.
I'm not even sure he can force you to do this yourself. I mean hell you are not even required to simply wear a mask if it distresses you legally.
Let alone forced to do an invasive test, as I say in the dark in your car with no qualified person around.

COVID tests via mail had no training and everyone from middle aged people, to children, to the elderly managed to do their tests and send them off where applicable. If you need instruction, ask at work or go on youtube where most test manufacturers have a video of how to do the test. Or read the instructions, which should be included on each individual test or the box.

We live in a difficult time where companies need to balance resources, practilities of maintaining their business, keeping their work force as safe as possible and staying afloat and productive.

Everyone's sadly going to make sacrifices, compromises and changes to their work life.

Due to the nature of a functioning business and the broad, non-specific to each different industry blanket rules put in place by the government for social distancing, of course we can expect some practices to not be adhered to 100%. Your workplace looks like they've tried to do something to protect their staff by making sure that no assymptomatic people come to work, spread the virus to eachother and take it home to their loved ones.

Doctors & Nurses have had to go without proper PPE during COVID. People who work at shops and essential workers have had to change protocol by the month, dependant on what the government and their employees deem safe or right at the time. Teachers went to work with snuffly children; and again changing guidance by the day.

What you've described is fairly low in terms of work/life-impact re: COVID-19, hence why a lot of people seem to be alluding to you should get on with it. I'd personally just be thankful you have a job, your workplace is trying to keep you safe in someway or another and you are healthy alongisde your colleagues.

Employment and health this day in age can change in a matter of weeks.

Sorry if that sounds rude.

BigA1

Take the test, find out if you are clear... and then if you contract the virus you have a better idea where that occurs and you, your family and colleagues will all be safer and better able to track the transmition.

Your employer may well be a bully, he may well have alterior motives for issuing the tests and there may be other breaches of social distancing and anti virus protection... but stamping your feet and saying you're not going to take the test is personally and socially irresponsible regardless of the type of test.

Do the responsible thing and get a test (either via your employer of goverment testing scheme), raise your concernes over other social distancing breaches (with your employer of local goverment agency) and suck it up and help protect everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen