1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boss Swap

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by rhoamish, Jan 21, 2004.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone see Boss Swap on C4 last night? It was most amusing.

They swapped the boss of an estate agents in London, with the boss of a car supermarket oop north.

The estate agent was a complete tool. Promoted a valet (because he turned up early at the gym before work one day) to a salesman. No training, no shadowing another employee, just 'bring a shirt and tie tomorrow'! Then he told him to pounce on any customers who came through the door, and rush to answer the phone first...:rolleyes:

What a horrible little man. I think he learned his 'boss' skills watching Wall Street and The Office.

2. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They were both dreadful in their own way (and hence, very entertaining). The guy from "oop north" was a real chauvenist.

This series just shows how right Gervais and Marchant got it!!!

Last weeks one, where the boss reckoned he didn't have to follow every health and safety law really made me mad. I hope the H&S Comission were watching, it was tantamount to saying he was a criminal (breeches of H&S are criminal offences). His factory looked well dangerous with stuff lying everywhere to trip people up near machinery. Too many bosses have this "god" syndrome where they believe they are above the law - and they believe their own hype.

Whoops - ranting a bit here...

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, last week's was good too. Was the woman from the door factory permanently soaked in booze? Every time you saw her, she (and whoever was around her) was drinking!

I'd agree about the health and safety: the factory was really noisy, and no-one wore ear defenders. I used to work in a factory, and a friend who worked there was partially deaf from the noise of engine testing. He was only 22!

4. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes Roamish - the trouble is that employees often are reluctant to use safety equioment (un-cool, not macho, or just uncomfortable), so the boss really needs to take a stand on this because standards will readily slip if it is seen as an option. It is the bosses legal duty not just to implement safety procedures, but to train staff, monitor compliance and deal with lapses. They often think if the employee chooses to take the risk its their problem - not true, the boss will have failed in their legal duty.

I get sick of the poorest paid workers (often young people, without employment protection) being used as cannon fodder for the benefit of the bosses back pocket (or to prop up sick businesses, that claim they cant afford safety - if you cant afford safety, you cant be in business). Often these injuries (like deafness, or commonly back pain due to lifting) have life long effects.

Oh dear, I am really off on one now!

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree completely. I always wore my safety specs in the plant, but most of the line workers took the mickey. I didn't care too much: my eyes still work today.

6. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good for you Roamish, but that peer pressure can be hard to resist