BOSS Build with 4 JBL 12” drivers

Reaction score
In order to not take over @unreel Boss Build Thread (Yet Another BOSS Build) I have decided to start my own thread.

Thank you to @Wull and @Stoke192 so far for your help on the other thread but I will post my questions here which will hopefully be the beginning of my own build and guide me through :)

Last edited:
@Wull , you stated "Keep the Buttkicker and BOSS drivers separate (1 channel each) I think in all honesty you will end up selling the BK once you see what the BOSS can do so I wouldn't worry about this for now

If using 3 x S2' JBL's, I would switch them to 2 ohm impedance, then run these at a 6ohm load to your amp."

Thank you for this information, as I have 1 speaker wire running from the equipment rack to the back of my sofa it would be better for me to wire them in series as you have stated in the other thread :)

With regards to miniDSP 2x4HD, would it be better if I purchased a miniDSP 4x10HD? That way I can connect all my 6 x 18" subs individually as apposed to groups of 2 in the miniDSP and set delays for each subwoofer individually.. or is there a disadvantage to having the 4x10HD?

I know the 2x4HD has floating processing engines whilst the 4x10HD has the fixed processing engines but not sure if there is actually any disadvantage to what we need it for? Thank you :)

I think there's some limitation to the 4x10 when it comes to BEQ which you may need to consider. @mattkhan is better placed to answer this for you than I :)
Thank you. It's not an issue really as I can use output 4 for the Boss.

I wonder if there is anyone on our forums who has owned a Buttkicker LFE and now a BOSS setup? I'd like to know their thoughts and if it's better than the buttkicker.

4x10HD isn't currently supported though would be easy to add if anyone needs it. It is not a good device for beq use though due to limited filter count and poor low frequency accuracy

4x10HD isn't currently supported though would be easy to add if anyone needs it. It is not a good device for beq use though due to limited filter count and poor low frequency accuracy
Thank you Matt for the reply much appreciated.. I will stick with my 2x4 HD and use the output 4..

By the way guys I just bought 4 x Drivers :)

Screenshot_20200602_173050_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Although I think the GX 1200 would probably be better but they are impossible to find in the UK

My 4 x JBL S2 1224's have arrived today :). They look like toys comparing to my subs but I guess all I'm concerned about is them being able to do a good job for the BOSS Build.

IMG_20200604_151449.jpgIMG_20200604_151517.jpgIMG_20200604_151522.jpgIMG_20200604_151548.jpg

My 4 x JBL S2 1224's have arrived today :). They look like toys comparing to my subs but I guess all I'm concerned about is them being able to do a good job for the BOSS Build.

View attachment 1312174View attachment 1312175View attachment 1312176View attachment 1312177
You might struggle to get 4 18" drivers under your sofa ;)
As this a new build, You might as well go straight for the Hover Boss, So you'll be needing some 16" inner tubes too.
I look forward to see how your build progresses :)

Congratulations @mkohman . I think you will be surprised just how natural the BOSS is. I've had BK and NF subs. But the BOSS is the only one in my opinion that feels natural for TR. Like has been said I wouldn't imagine you'll need the BK anymore once you get these done.

You might struggle to get 4 18" drivers under your sofa ;)
As this a new build, You might as well go straight for the Hover Boss, So you'll be needing some 16" inner tubes too.
I look forward to see how your build progresses :)
Thank you for your reply. What's the difference between BOSS and Hover Boss please? Is it only the additional 16" inner tubes?

Can you please recommend which tubes to buy and I assume it's one tube per driver?

I would also appreciate if you could please attach some of your build pictures to my thread to hopefully assist me and others that may be considering to build one too :)

Thank you so much :)

Congratulations @mkohman . I think you will be surprised just how natural the BOSS is. I've had BK and NF subs. But the BOSS is the only one in my opinion that feels natural for TR. Like has been said I wouldn't imagine you'll need the BK anymore once you get these done.
Hey @markymiles thank you for your reply. Indeed I'm excited to see how this will turn out.. Also I don't think I will be keeping the Buttkicker after this build is complete as I imagine I would have more than enough TR. I already have 2 x 18" VNF subs right behind my sofa so this will hopefully be the icing on the cake. I just hope those drivers I purchased are a good choice :)

20191210_151609.jpg

Thank you for your reply. What's the difference between BOSS and Hover Boss please? Is it only the additional 16" inner tubes?

Can you please recommend which tubes to buy and I assume it's one tube per driver?

I would also appreciate if you could please attach some of your build pictures to my thread to hopefully assist me and others that may be considering to build one too :)

Thank you so much :)
These are the Tubes I and I think @Wull are using ? and yes you'll need one around each driver.

My build thread is Here

Also, There's a guide to all things Boss/Hover Boss here

Baffle Open Sub Shaker (BOSS) Setup & Calibration Tips

If the document doesn't open, Click the download link at the top right of the page.

Hope this helps :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
These are the Tubes I and I think @Wull are using ? and yes you'll need one around each driver.

My build thread is Here

If the document doesn't open, Click the download link at the top right of the page.

That's great thanks alot I really appreciate your help. Just bought 4 for £12 brilliant.. I'll check out your thread too. Thank you.

Did you also wire 4 subs from 1 inuke channel at 2ohms each subs to make 8 ohms? If so I would really appreciate it if you could please share your wire diagram with me :thumbsup:

That's great thanks alot I really appreciate your help. Just bought 4 for £12 brilliant.. I'll check out your thread too. Thank you.

Did you also wire 4 subs from 1 inuke channel at 2ohms each subs to make 8 ohms? If so I would really appreciate it if you could please share your wire diagram with me :thumbsup:

Hi, No problem.

I've wired mine for a 4ohm load as in the pic below

4_4ohmSVC_4ohm.png

Although the S2-1224's are switchable between 2 & 4ohms, they were set to 4ohm out of the box, so left them as they where.

Thanks

Hi, No problem.

I've wired mine for a 4ohm load as in the pic below

View attachment 1312667

Although the S2-1224's are switchable between 2 & 4ohms, they were set to 4ohm out of the box, so left them as they where.

Thanks
That's cool thank you but I need to really work out how to do 4? Because my inuke 6000D would be sufficient to run all 4 on one channel. If anyone can please draw me the diagram of connecting 4 subs at 2 ohms each I would really appreciate it. Thank you guys 🙏

Are they Dual 2ohm VC’s?
98DEF12B-736F-46A5-9622-85E9813A65A7.jpeg

I’m struggling to find an example of single 2ohm VC’s in series for 8ohm total load but I’m sure you get the drift :thumbsup:
B0349B59-9716-40DA-9FAA-AC53ED2E5670.jpeg

Four 4 ohm series parallel
B203D16B-9C94-4192-ABDE-48EEE20FD716.jpeg

My build thread is Here

Yep there the ones @Stoke192 :) . They do suffer from inner tube bulge if 'over' inflated. This is nothing to worry about. Don't forget to use some double sided tape to help seal and hold in place. Like this type which is extra tacky:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks @Wull

Look what got delivered today lol my fourth inuke NX 6000D 😂

IMG_20200606_185416.jpg

Can I just ask real quick.. If I'm going to pull new wires to the back for the subs, probably 10m run shall I go for 2 x 2.5mm or 2 x 4mm? The later is almost double the price.

KabelDirekt - Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire & Cable - Made in Germany - 2x2.5mm² - 30m - (For Hifi Speakers and Surround Sound Systems, OFC Pure Copper, with polarity markings) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C79Z1FU/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_Lpa3EbAWRMZHT

Or

KabelDirekt - Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire & Cable - Made in Germany - 2x4mm² - 30m - (For Hifi Speakers and Surround Sound Systems, OFC Pure Copper, with polarity markings) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LFAEBU8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_Fra3EbG7SCPHH

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@paulst10 thank you again for this:

5JznuOU.png

Apparently this is only for the DSP versions of inuke and the non DSP versions should be 2.3 gain.. Is that something you knew about?

That's what i'm using. (Mines the non DSP version). I also use this 'Comp' setting for protection, and my 'PEQ', which of course is subjective.

Attachments

• PEQ 2.3.PNG
    PEQ 2.3.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 129
  • Comp.PNG
    Comp.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 114
  • XO.PNG
    XO.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 109

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?