Quantcast

BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker) Mini riser build.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Excellent idea. I have a similar platform with 3 buttkickers attached to it. It’s great. Built from 25mm mdf and it has sagged a bit so I might swap it for some ply as I didn’t really think about doing that to stop sagging.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Excellent idea. I have a similar platform with 3 buttkickers attached to it. It’s great. Built from 25mm mdf and it has sagged a bit so I might swap it for some ply as I didn’t really think about doing that to stop sagging.
Hi,
I was originally going to use 19mm veneered mdf, but was advised against it by the guy who came up with the idea over on AVS, due to (as you’ve found out) potential sag over time.
I went with the 25mm ply as I need the extra 6mm of clearance it’ll give for the drivers, apparently the more rigid the better!
The Hudson isolators work wonders for TR apparently, so they might be worth a look to support the board as well.

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Looking good @Stoke192 Seems to be coming along nicely, can't wait to hear your impressions once it's all up and running.. just remember to strap yourself in ;)

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Looking good @Stoke192 Seems to be coming along nicely, can't wait to hear your impressions once it's all up and running.. just remember to strap yourself in ;)
I've not had time to build it yet :(, I've been really busy with work (self employed) but I'm hoping to have this Friday and most of the weekend free to get this built and set up!

Feels like it's been an age since the JBL's arrived lol, So much so, Things have moved on over on AVS, looks like I need to buy some 16" inner tubes now ;)

Ordered a miniDSP HD and mic too, Whilst i was at it, Hopefully the BOSS will make good use of it ;)

puneet83

Things have moved on over on AVS, looks like I need to buy some 16" inner tubes now ;)
Yeah, what's that about? I too came across it but couldn't spend much time trying to decipher it.

There's so much to learn on the DIY side, but not enough hours in the day! :D

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Yeah, what's that about? I too came across it but couldn't spend much time trying to decipher it.

There's so much to learn on the DIY side, but not enough hours in the day! :D
Yeah, certainly not enough hours for me lol, The tubes create pressure under the platform apparently, It gives better TR.
An increase of about 50% if placed around the drivers only, but if you go all out and replace the isolators too, then it goes up by another 50 to 100% increase :eek:

I might, put tubes around the drivers before I stick the couch on top of my platform, If I get chance to go to halfords lol, saying that, I'll probably try with just the Hudsons first.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Finally got some time to get this build on the go, I finished a job a day early, So made use of the time ;)

Setting out
3DBC53B5-CBBD-419B-9FAF-CD10C2C4D1C7.jpeg

Cutting the ply
C8FC5811-B562-455E-BC90-9DD46061BEC3.jpeg

Cut to shape of sofa, Corners rounded and trying for size.
EC90BB60-27D7-4503-8813-C39116F9A23A.jpeg

Jointed with number twenty biscuits, I’ll be leaving them dry in case I need to dismantle it, I won’t get it out of the room in one piece lol
384796C1-2154-4B07-BE85-FC18864D4D56.jpeg

Part of the sofa back on to set out driver position.
928AC197-A01D-499A-81C2-E29AB9CDBE9B.jpeg

Driver positions sorted and cut out, added a few cleats to hold it all togeather.
2E623071-719E-4CA3-85B4-F21E9C6EF003.jpeg

Hudson Isolators stuck on, Positioned under each leg of the sofa and then every 2ft or so.
732E44F5-436F-466B-8869-B22A749AA186.jpeg

Under the sofa, showing isolator with sofa on top of the ply.
E11B23CE-BFAD-43AC-AD52-054F89CC5620.jpeg

B040073B-8F4A-4BB3-ABDA-110D43C87707.jpeg

That’s as far as I got today, I had to put the sofa back together as the other half was due home from work ;)
Going to fit the drivers tomorrow afternoon and hopefully get it all wired up and connected to the amp.
If not it’ll be Sunday afternoon before I can get to try it out ;)

Picked up. MiniDSP HD along with a Umic this week too, So plenty to be getting on with! , No doubt I’ll be in the BEQ thread asking questions lol

Good to get this going at long last!

Last edited:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Managed to get the drivers in today, Wired and connected to the NX3000D.

Drivers from the underside
IMG_0274.JPG

Just a pic of how much clearance there will be between driver and floor.
IMG_0278.JPG

Back togeather.
IMG_0280.JPG

Wired up, Connected the speaker cables to a Speakon socket for easy connection/disconnection.
IMG_0283.JPG

Followed this diagram for the wiring giving a 4ohm load.
4_4ohmSVC_4ohm.png

Here's what it now looks like under the sofa.
IMG_0292.JPG

Anyway, IT Lives!! :D

All connected now, I've got it connected to the NX3000D via a Y splitter from the LFE channel for now, Just to get it going.
Tweaked the amp with a few settings from the guide I posted on the first page, I'm still to set it up properly, Not really had chance as the Mrs tipped me out of the front room to watch the Masked singer!!!
I've not watched anything properly yet or added the MiniDSP HD into the chain, Might get that done tomorrow afternoon as it requires a recalibration.

I had initial concerns the the 1224's might not be as good as the GT-5's, I'll never really know as I can't compare the two but The 1224's give plenty of sofa wobble, So very happy so far.

Still The edging and final finish on the platform to do, But that can wait for a bit, as i'm sick of moving the sofa ;)

Thanks

MrNismo

Looks really good.
So good I wouldn't be able to resist moving the sofas off every now and again to look at the driver's basking in that glorious build!

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Picked up the recommend Noctura fan yesterday to do the fan mod on the NX3000D.
You read about the fan being loud, and think to yourself, it can’t be that bad.....surely!.
It is!!, chuffing ridiculous lol, So fan mod imminent!

I’ve not had chance to have a play with the boss unfortunately since the weekend other than my initial testing.
Knocked the crossover down in the amps DSP to 20hz from 60hz when I first set it up, which is a lot better, I’ll probably move it up a bit as I use it a bit more and get used to it.
I’ve still to add the MiniDSP HD into the chain, but have set up the laptop for REW, so should be good to go for the weekend for a recalibration.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Added the miniDSP hd into the chain, along with some eq for my mono+ using REW.
Complete novice in this regard, and I’m yet to watch a full film yet to see how it sounds.
Sounds pretty good using the atmos demo disk though.
I’ve got the feed to the boss unfiltered and crossed over at 25hz, so I’ll see how that goes.
Merged my eq with the Beq filters readiness for a decent testing session over the weekend.
Coming together at long last ;)

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Looking good mate, be sure to try Overlord ;) If you haven't got it, buy it :D

There's a filter you can add in the MiniDSP to make the Behringer -20hz roll off flat down to 3/4hz if you want it, let me know :) (it's probably posted in my thread somewhere)

Edit: here it is..
Alright, as promised, for those who want to flatten the iNuke response to 4Hz (+/- 0.5dB!) and only down ~1dB at 3Hz, here's a filter: LS 10Hz Q0.5 4.4dB

Last edited:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Looking good mate, be sure to try Overlord ;) If you haven't got it, buy it :D

There's a filter you can add in the MiniDSP to make the Behringer -20hz roll off flat down to 3/4hz if you want it, let me know :) (it's probably posted in my thread somewhere)

Edit: here it is..
Thanks!
I do have Overlord lol, I'll be sure to give it a spin over the weekend!

I'm currently using a filter in the NX3000D's DSP to get it flat to 5hz apparently, It was posted in the same thread over on AVS, I'll probably use the MiniDSP one when I get more familiar with it.
Also, It's one less thing to connect to the laptop and check :).

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Fan mod done, Straight forward enough and more importantly, now quiet! ;)

We watched AD Astra tonight with BEQ, Some pretty decent wobble from the sofa ;), there was also some subtle low frequency wobble that you just wouldn’t of noticed/picked up with running just the mono+ on it’s own.
Overall, pretty happy with it’s first outing :D

Last edited:

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Very nice build, lovely and neat. I know what you mean about the subtle very low frequency stuff, those without a platform would never feel those effects and just miss them completely even with decent subwoofers.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Thanks,
It’s not quite finished yet, I’m going to apply some iron on veneer to the top front edges of the board, so it better matches the flooring, but other than that it’s pretty much done.
Still toying with adding bicycle inner tubes around the drivers, as this is the next evolution of the boss.
It’s being discussed over in @paulst10 thread, as we speak.

I had some friends around last night, and of course got the inevitable question of “What’s that under the sofa” lol.
Time for a quick demo ;), Ran Ready player one race scene and the beginning of overlord.
Anyway, they were suitably impressed with cries of “Its just like being in the cinema”.
Boom, job done lol, more importantly it worked just the same with four adults on it, so happy with that too.