Quantcast

BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker) Mini riser build.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Having been made aware of this idea by @paulst10 when enquiring about Bass Shakers in another thread, I've come to the conclusion that a BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker) setup would be a better solution for TR.
I've read both Boss build threads (links below) on here, I'm also part way through the one on AVS too but it's not exactly short ;)

My BOSS Build Platform
How do i.....Basic build bits / BOSS

I'm after building a platform for this sofa
Sofa Pic.jpg

It's in two pieces, So it'll probably be two separate platforms due to the leg layout of the individual halves.
I was thinking of using veneered mdf (19mm) for the platform to match the floor, as I've got to consider the aesthetics due to it being a living room setup, Isolated using either the Hudson or equivalent isolators.

Amp, Either the Behringer NX1000D or NX3000D.

Either 3 Drivers across the back (2 in one half, 1 in the other) or 4 drivers 2 in each platform ?.

Now, I'm finding it difficult to find the JBL GT5-12's, I'm assuming they're an older model and no longer readily available ?.
I've found these JBL STAGE S2-1224 at around the same cost( £50 each), Would these be suitable ? or has anyone any recommendations for suitable drivers for around the same cost ?.

Just putting a few ideas together at the moment, with a view to build it soon, So any input/ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply,

I've found and ordered 4 JBL GT5-12's for £55 each from a company called Crown Customs, They've allowed me to order, whether they have any stock remains to be seen, but we'll see tomorrow.

If not, I'll grab some of the JBL STAGE S2-1224 I linked to earlier.

looks like we're on! lol

Looking to run 4 drivers, with the NX3000D by the looks of it, I've seen one for £211 Here, Assuming it's the correct one and has a built in DSP ?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to power amps and connecting the speakers etc, so a bit of hand holding would be appreciated, If somebody's willing ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
No joy on the JBL GT5-12's unfortunately :(, They don't make them any more apparently, Which I kind of knew really, But thought they might have had some old stock.

Looks like it's the JBL STAGE S2-1224's I linked to earlier, These only have a xmax of 10.25mm as opposed to 14mm of the JBL GT5-12's.......will it make that much of a difference ?, as i'm assuming it's the excursion that we're interested in ?JBL GT5-12's, The greater the xmax the better the wobble ?

Please excuse my ignorance if I'm talking out of my hat ;), As this is all relatively new to me :)

Thanks

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I'd have thought they'd be OK. I'm not sure if the excursion is that much of an issue as even just minimal movement is transferred into some serious sofa shaking.

Have a look through my thread and see what drivers @Ringnut used for his BOSS and see what the Xmax was for those. Or failing that, maybe ask on the AVS thread if they're suitable.

Edit: found them.. Xmax is 12.1mm Subwoofer JBL CS1214 specifications.

Last edited:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
I’ve asked over on AVS, Just waiting to see if I get a reply.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
The guy that started all this off over on AVS trhought has replied to my query regarding the JBL STAGE S2-1224 drivers.

Here's what he posted :-

Stoke192....Welcome aboard!

The JBL Stage S2-1224 is a very capable BOSS driver :)

With an Xmax of .85x the baseline JBL (10.25mm vs. 12.1mm) and an Mms of .87x the baseline JBL (155g vs. 179g), it has a shaker potential of .75x that of the baseline JBL.

It will take about 60 watts for each driver to reach Xmax in an open baffle as constructed in Post 29.

Just follow the instructions in Post 29 for the isolators, the placement of those isolators and use 3/4" plywood to keep the platform rigid.

As your BOSS design matures, just let us know of any questions.
I'll ask him how the JVC's compare @Wull, Where did you get them from and how much did you pay ?

Thanks

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
This was the reply I got when asking about the JVC
The JVC CS1210 has a shaker potential of .42x that of the baseline JBL. It will take about 50 watts to power each one to reach Xmax.
Although, I’m not sure what the figures mean though ?

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Ok, After clarification of what the figures mean by @richardsim7 (thanks for that) over on AVS, I've ordered 4 of the JBL STAGE S2-1224.

So, we're back on again :D

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
NX3000D and Hudson isolators ordered, Just need to source a couple of sheets of 18mm beech veneer ply and we should be good to go :D

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Some new toys landed today :D
3803541C-0814-4092-856A-4E4AD6F631E5.jpeg

No Joy on the Beech veneer ply, I need to buy a pack of 40 8'x4' sheets apparently! @1500 quid for the pack, So maybe not!.
I've decided on 25mm ply for the base, I'll just pick up a couple of half decent sheets from my local builders merchant and i'll veneer the front edges that'll be seen myself with some iron on veneer.
I might have over done it on the Hudson isolators, I bought 16 of the 2.5" (65mm) and they're a lot bigger than i thought lol, Better to have to many, than not enough ;)

Just some cables to pick up now, and a free weekend to build it!, Which is proving problematic atm unfortunately :(

Thanks

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Might be worth thinking laterally: Something like Ikea table tops with beech veneer or maybe some other furniture/worktop? I'm sure I came across places that sell veneered MDF when I was researching one of my many projects in years gone by, so I could re-trace my steps and see if I can find a link for you.

Good luck and thanks for the thread title; I was wondering what BOSS stood for. :smashin:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Might be worth thinking laterally: Something like Ikea table tops with beech veneer or maybe some other furniture/worktop? I'm sure I came across places that sell veneered MDF when I was researching one of my many projects in years gone by, so I could re-trace my steps and see if I can find a link for you.

Good luck and thanks for the thread title; I was wondering what BOSS stood for. :smashin:
Thanks for the reply,
I’ve looked into veneered mdf, I can get hold of that quite easily from my local builders merchant but it’s prone to sagging over time unfortunately, I could go with 25mm mdf but the weight difference is quite considerable.
The Boss builders over on AVS advised against it, They said stick with ply, so I’ll take there advice on that.
Good shout on the worktop idea, although the legs on our sofa are 900mm front to back, worktops are 600mm wide so would require jointing along the length.

Saying that though, If you could get hold of a 30mm thick breakfast bar top in beech that might work.
I’ll have to look into it, As you say Ikea are the most likely candidate, if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
I did, but unfortunately I’m a bit tight for space under the sofa, you don’t think about fitting 300mm, 150mm deep sub drivers under it when your buying....I will do next time lol.
Mounting the drivers to the underside of a board reduces the height of the driver under the sofa by either 18 or 25mm depending on thickness of board used, which should give me between 10 to 15mm of clearance.

Doing it the other way round would mean ripping the dust cover off the bottom of the sofa to allow the driver to move and the back of the driver would be a bit close to the floor for my liking. :)

Last edited:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Had a good chat this morning with one of the guys at my local Timber and Building supplies, Who as it happens is also into the HC experience, So had an idea as to what I was rambling on about lol.

He was pretty knowledgeable on the subject of plywood and decided 25mm Far-Eastern Plywood was a pretty good compromise in regard to cost/quality, It pretty much matched the beech colour I was after, So no need to veneer the top of the exposed boards now, Which was a bonus.

Comes in at just shy of 50 quid a sheet.

I has an hour or so spare this afternoon, so decided to try out the isolators on a couple of 25mm window boards I had in the garage, To see what the finished height of the sofa would be.

sofa boss pic 2.jpg

Hudson isolator, very little deflection, I thought considering there was only one under each leg.
I was planning to use 8 under each half of the sofa, I might get away with 6 now.

sofa boss pics 4.jpg

Opened one of the JBL's, Quite a nice looking speaker ;) , Shame I'm going to be putting them upside down under a sofa!
Not exactly small either!, Fortunately it just about fits :eek:

sofa boss pics 1.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get a free weekend next week, So I can get on and build it!

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Possibly a silly question, Does the magnet on the back of a speaker get warm/hot during use ?
I ask as it'll be grazing the dust cover on the bottom of our sofa, Thinking potential fire hazzard.

Thanks

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
I expect the voice coil will melt well before that happens
Thanks, I'd never gave it much thought till now as all the speakers I used up to now are in a box of one size or another.