• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bose?

Scooby73

Standard Member
Hi guys,
I'm just about to purcahse a new tv and want some sort of surround sound to go with it.
I am thinking about the Bose Acoustimass 6 and some sort of amp.
The reason i want the Bose is that i had it before (about 5 years ago) and it was awesome!!
The thing that's worrying me is that a few people have said i can get the same sound for less pennies (if i go with another make).
The only problem is that i have no idea about this sort of thing (and if im honest STILL struggling with what tv to buy!!).

Any help/advice would be great please.
I've got around £800 for the TV and about the same (hopefully a bit less) for the surround sound.

Cheers guys.

sanejo

There are lots of Bose bashers, I'm ambivalent but perhaps boardering on being a basher. As you have experience of Bose that should be something you bear in mind as you try to make your decision. I would advise going to the amplifier section and do a search on Bose, you'll see a lot of negatives but you may find some useful alternative suggestions.

The negative view of Bose stems not from the absolute performance, some people swear by their gear and sound, but by the inflated cost you pay. It is possible to get a more conventional system that is considered to equal the Bose performance for far less cash, however, as I said you know Bose and that means you at least know that they do what you want.

Get more advice, try to get some demonstrations, enjoy the process.

Scooby73

Standard Member
Hi - thanks for your reply.
I do agree that Bose is expensive but i just have no idea of any alternatives.
I just remember still looking behind me when i was watching certain films as it just sounded like it was happening behind me ... and i'd like that again.
I'd LOVE to pay less and get the same sort of performance but i just have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing.
Could you suggest any good alternatives?

sanejo

I used to run the Tannoy 5.1 FX sub/sat system, using a Pioneer 912 receiver. At the time I had this setup, around 2003, it cost £650. I suspect that it would have given a Bose system very stiff competition. The same level of setup could probably be had for around £500 now, Tannoy have an improved SFX system, or certainly did, and there are numerous receivers available for £250 - £350 that can decode all the HD audio formats, and would allow you to mix, match and change your speakers if you so desired.

I am not really up to date with this sort of system but the receiver section and speaker section of these forums are full of people who really know their stuff.

Last edited:

scjgreen

It's definitely worth taking a look at the Jamo A102 set. I have them paired with an Onkyo 507 and after hearing some Bose setup's they don't come close to mine.

Scooby73

Standard Member
Cheers.
To be honest i've never heard of either but i'm gonna google them now and have a look.
It's kind of annoying that Bose is all i've ever had so can't compare it to anythng but if you're saying that your sound better than Bose, then i'm gonna check it out :)

scjgreen

I'm watching Air Force One on Blu Ray while im typing this and it's just awesome.

Richer Sounds have the Jamo's on at £229 at the moment too which is just a sheer and utter bargain!

Pair them with a HD Audio reciever (Onkyo is my recommendation) and you'll have an awesome system on a modest budget.

Scooby73

Standard Member
Last edited:

scjgreen

That's exactly what i have. Plenty of Bass and Rumble when required :)

Scooby73

Standard Member
Ooh i am tempted.
If it's as good as you say it is AND under £500 for the lot!!!
Decisions, decisions.....

scjgreen

Only other cost's you need to factor are interconnects and speaker cable other than that your away :)

If you do go for it take your time to set all the levels properly including the sub level and cross over on the woofer itself. I had to turn my sub down a little as it was shaking my living room :)

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I've got around £800 for the TV and about the same (hopefully a bit less) for the surround sound.

Bose are a below average quality that are hyped up entirely by their own marketing department and no one else.

Ive yet to see one favourable outcome for Bose in any group test.
I know bose is all you've ever heard , but trust me , they are very very easy to beat in terms of sound quality and for way less money , and you have a healthy budget there.

A rare example of a pro review here , Bose dont submit samples to pro sites or magazines for reviews , they know they wont stand up to the competition , they rely instead on "infomercial" type ads on Discovery channel and Sunday supplement reviews from fictional people saying how "wonderful" they sound ... :facepalm:
Bose Lifestyle V20 Home Theater System — Reviews and News from Audioholics

So , take your time , do a little research , have some auditions , and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Steveiefrench

Standard Member
I have a bose lifestyle system with dual cube speakers, personally I think the sound quality is awesome for the size of speaker and case (only 3" square) and value for money wise I think there up there with the best but that is only my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom