Bose vs Klipsch for a 7.1.2 Atmos setup.

r9800pro

A friend of mine is building his first HT with 7.1.2 speaker setup and needs recommendation between these 2 systems:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V + Bose 151 SE + Bose Virtually Invisible 791
vs
Klipsch RP-600M
2 pairs of R-51M
RP-600C or R-52C center
SPL-120 Subwoofer
Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

Prices here in Egypt are insanely high and these 2 systems are close in price give or take.
Which do you recommend for better overall sound quality?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'd always recommend choosing none-Bose over Bose speakers. Having been wow'd by them as I was about to buy my first ever surround system some 20 odd years ago, I choose a miss match of speaker over the Bose speakers (still keeping that compact size although all the speakers has both tweeters and mid-range drivers) as they were so much more detailed. Yes they have improved along this time, but their basic principle is small tweeter speaker based speakers with one large woofer which has a void within the mid-range area

So, as they're similar prices, you should hear a bigger difference with the Klipsch and Yamaha's than you would hear with the Bose alone.

Now, if its design is a major factor to them, then you cannot ignore what Bose have achieve with their ethos for sound and design

Ultimately, they really need to hear both music and movies on the AVR they're going to own to see which one ticks their own ears as sound is so suggestive, what one person loves, another will always loath

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine is building his first HT with 7.1.2 speaker setup and needs recommendation between these 2 systems:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V + Bose 151 SE + Bose Virtually Invisible 791
vs
Klipsch RP-600M
2 pairs of R-51M
RP-600C or R-52C center
SPL-120 Subwoofer
Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

Prices here in Egypt are insanely high and these 2 systems are close in price give or take.
Which do you recommend for better overall sound quality?

Yeah Klipsch without doubt for HT. Just make sure he picks the RP-600C over the R-52C. This is very important as center channel is one of the most active speaker! Don´t save on the front three, rather save on surround speakers. Does he have couch against rear wall? Then he better to stick with 5.1.2.

Also ask him to swap the subwoofer to SVS PB1000 Pro if the pricing is similar as in these links below. The SVS is MUCH better and has longer warranty. There is no requirement to buy "matching" sub as you probably know!

r9800pro

My friend went ahead today and listened to a Klipsch setup at the store and he was so blown away by the difference in sound quality and build quality that he even decided to get towers instead of bookshelf fronts lol

He picked:
R-625FA with upfiring Atmos (tried to make him get in ceiling speakers instead but he insisted that would be enough.
R-52C Center which I hope would be fine with the towers.
RP-502S surrounds
SPL-100 10” subwoofer. I tried to make him get the 12" one but he said 10" is too big for him anyway. Unfortunately, SVS isn't available here at all.

He will be getting a Denon AVR-X3700H and with those speakers mentioned, the whole system will be roughly the same price as the Bose system.

This is the list of Klipsch speakers available and we are open to any recommendation that would better suit the setup.

Attachments

• 240656931_575123996843711_8297796880952895224_n.jpg
    240656931_575123996843711_8297796880952895224_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 22

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
My friend went ahead today and listened to a Klipsch setup at the store and he was so blown away by the difference in sound quality and build quality that he even decided to get towers instead of bookshelf fronts lol

He picked:
R-625FA with upfiring Atmos (tried to make him get in ceiling speakers instead but he insisted that would be enough.
R-52C Center which I hope would be fine with the towers.
RP-502S surrounds
SPL-100 10” subwoofer. I tried to make him get the 12" one but he said 10" is too big for him anyway. Unfortunately, SVS isn't available here at all.

He will be getting a Denon AVR-X3700H and with those speakers mentioned, the whole system will be roughly the same price as the Bose system.

This is the list of Klipsch speakers available and we are open to any recommendation that would better suit the setup.

Ah shame. Hope he can change things around still.

He chose the cheap Reference range speakers. Mistake! :(

Make him buy the RP-600M and 600C instead as they have better sound and build quality! He doesn´t need big towers if he would change the SPL-100 to SPL-120. No need to listen overly loud to notice the difference in deeper extension. Remind him that he won`t be running the towers full range, the low stuff will be directed to subwoofer so he doesn´t gain that much with the R-625FA. He will lose in sound quality. The same applies to that cheap poor center channel!

He also bought very expensive surround speakers from the more expensive RP range. So he chose everything opposite. Worse LCR speakers which makes the most difference and expensive effect channels, now here he could have saved.

The original plan was much better.

Remind him that the upfiring speakers inside the 625 can´t be angled. He needs to move speakers or couch closer if the sweet spot isn´t there. Bad idea to buy these type of speakers. He could have added Atmos speakers later: RP-500SA i think they are called. Even these aren`t as good as some 600 serie cheap Yamaha ceiling speakers placed optimally. In worst case scenario he will regret this move as he will understand how the Atmos isn´t night and day difference, the ceiling won`t come alive. Then he is stuck with poorer sounding speakers and atmos that didn´t blow him away.

So now he rushed to buy full atmos system right away, but he got poor speakers and more poor sub which is the heart of the movie system. People are scaring to buy larger woofer without understanding that he is always in control how loud it plays. Also the X3700H guarantees that the bigger sub won´t sound overly bloated assuming he doesn´t live in some room size of small toilet.

PS. What else subwoofer brands there are available?

gibbsy

Before your friend takes delivery of the Klipsch he needs to make sure his ceiling falls into the right category for upfiring speakers. The ceiling needs to be between 2.3m and 4.2m high, perfectly flat and made of a reflective material.

r9800pro

So what do you guys recommend from the list above?
My friend doesn't want to spend a fortune on the speakers but at the same time, doesn't want to waste money on something that might be a better sounding alternative.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So what do you guys recommend from the list above?
My friend doesn't want to spend a fortune on the speakers but at the same time, doesn't want to waste money on something that might be a better sounding alternative.

Is the room medium sized? Let´s say 20sqm (5x4m) example?

Well RP-600M and RP-600C for the front three. Speaker stands some cheap ~600mm tall ones for the main speakers. The surround channels R51-M or the RP-502S if he can afford them. It´s a shame the shop doesn´t have these:

Amazon product
I would want the SPL-120 as minium. I`m fairly sure he will be watching action/scifi/horror stuff so this one will be good to ~20hz in-room. The smaller SPL-100 rolls off way higher and haven´t got much of praise. I have owned the earlier model of SPL-120, basically same.

Can you link the shop so i can look if there is something better sub wise?

r9800pro

Is the room medium sized? Let´s say 20sqm (5x4m) example?

Well RP-600M and RP-600C for the front three. Speaker stands some cheap ~600mm tall ones for the main speakers. The surround channels R51-M or the RP-502S if he can afford them. It´s a shame the shop doesn´t have these:

Amazon product
I would want the SPL-120 as minium. I`m fairly sure he will be watching action/scifi/horror stuff so this one will be good to ~20hz in-room. The smaller SPL-100 rolls off way higher and haven´t got much of praise. I have owned the earlier model of SPL-120, basically same.

Can you link the shop so i can look if there is something better sub wise?

His room is 4x4m.
We agreed on RP-600M and RP-600C for the front three but I recommended RP-51M for surrounds and he insists on RP-502S because they can be wall mounted and he loves how they look xD
He will also get the Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.
We agreed on the SPL-120 subwoofer as well but the store also has SPL-150 15" subwoofer.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
His room is 4x4m.
We agreed on RP-600M and RP-600C for the front three but I recommended RP-51M for surrounds and he insists on RP-502S because they can be wall mounted and he loves how they look xD
He will also get the Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.
We agreed on the SPL-120 subwoofer as well but the store also has SPL-150 15" subwoofer.

502S are bipole design so they create more dispersed sound field. Remind him that he needs to mount them about close to seated ear height cause he goes for overheard channels too, so there is good height separation with these two channels. You don`t want both effects coming from "high". Also make sure he leaves at least one feet to closest wall as they shoot both direction. As in don´t mount them too close to corner. If he don`t have couch against rear wall side wall at the same level to listeners each side would be ideal.

SPL-150 is quite beast especially with the mid-bass slam and it digs bit deeper also. If he don´t have neighbours to worry and wants the most impact then why not. :) Just make sure he buys the Denon X3700H and no lower model. It´s important to get the better room correction to make the sub sound controlled and cleaner. Another alternative is the smaller SPL-120 and adding 2nd later.

r9800pro

502S are bipole design so they create more dispersed sound field. Remind him that he needs to mount them about close to seated ear height cause he goes for overheard channels too, so there is good height separation with these two channels. You don`t want both effects coming from "high". Also make sure he leaves at least one feet to closest wall as they shoot both direction. As in don´t mount them too close to corner. If he don`t have couch against rear wall side wall at the same level to listeners each side would be ideal.

SPL-150 is quite beast especially with the mid-bass slam and it digs bit deeper also. If he don´t have neighbours to worry and wants the most impact then why not. :) Just make sure he buys the Denon X3700H and no lower model. It´s important to get the better room correction to make the sub sound controlled and cleaner. Another alternative is the smaller SPL-120 and adding 2nd later.

I told him about ear level placement for the surrounds but he said that was impossible to place them in the back that way but can be placed on the sides of the couch.
He is set on the Denon X3700H no less already.
As for the subwoofer, unfortunately, he is in an apartment building and neighbours downstairs won't like a 15" subwoofer... at all xD

So, final setup will be:
Denon X3700H
RP-600M
RP-600C center
RP-502S surrounds
SPL-120 Subwoofer
2x Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

I tried to convince him about getting 4 in-ceiling speakers but he doesn't want that :( What a shame.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I told him about ear level placement for the surrounds but he said that was impossible to place them in the back that way but can be placed on the sides of the couch.
He is set on the Denon X3700H no less already.
As for the subwoofer, unfortunately, he is in an apartment building and neighbours downstairs won't like a 15" subwoofer... at all xD

So, final setup will be:
Denon X3700H
RP-600M
RP-600C center
RP-502S surrounds
SPL-120 Subwoofer
2x Yamaha NSIC800WH in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

I tried to convince him about getting 4 in-ceiling speakers but he doesn't want that :( What a shame.

Sounds good package. Just add the speaker stands for the front mains so they will be easy to move in optimal spot and will be at correct height. Also show him this link so he knows where to install the ceiling speakers. Example if he sits about 3meters away, spread the mains good amount like 2,5meters which is more than people usually do with each side of 65" tv. Then the ceiling speakers will be installed basically in line with the mains. However he should now think about will he install those ceiling speakers little bit forward if he later wants to add the second pair behind listener. Anyway send him both so he sees.

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/ab...r-placement/5_1_2_overhead_speakers_setup.pdf

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom