Bose TV Speaker white noise/hissing in quiet passages

Saral

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a Bose TV Speaker and have it linked directly to a Sony Bravia KDL-43WE753

I have linked it with the supplied Optical cable and a HDMI cable (separately and both at the same time)

It works (not that impressed though) but for some programmes with mainly talking eg EastEnders or golf or snooker when someone stops speaking the background noise which should be silent seems to rise up in a white noise/hissing way and doesn't stop until someone else speaks when it dies down

From looking round the internet for a solution it was suggested it may be being caused by AGC Auto Gain Control, which there is no option to turn off or control on the soundbar

The bar has a speech improvement button, but with this selected the hissing is so bad it is practically unwatchable

I have been in touch with Bose who are just saying check this and that, but nothing is having an affect

I have tried both Optical and HDMI connections, but they both sound the same. I have played around with the TV settings and again nothing changes. I have also tried using the soundbar on Bluetooth with the TV off and it is the same

There is a 'support' forum on Bose's website, which 3 of us all have this problem, all with different Sony TVs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Thanks

Hi

I recently bought a Bose TV Speaker and have it linked directly to a Sony Bravia KDL-43WE753

I have linked it with the supplied Optical cable and a HDMI cable (separately and both at the same time)

It works (not that impressed though) but for some programmes with mainly talking eg EastEnders or golf or snooker when someone stops speaking the background noise which should be silent seems to rise up in a white noise/hissing way and doesn't stop until someone else speaks when it dies down

From looking round the internet for a solution it was suggested it may be being caused by AGC Auto Gain Control, which there is no option to turn off or control on the soundbar

The bar has a speech improvement button, but with this selected the hissing is so bad it is practically unwatchable

I have been in touch with Bose who are just saying check this and that, but nothing is having an affect

I have tried both Optical and HDMI connections, but they both sound the same. I have played around with the TV settings and again nothing changes. I have also tried using the soundbar on Bluetooth with the TV off and it is the same

There is a 'support' forum on Bose's website, which 3 of us all have this problem, all with different Sony TVs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Thanks
Just amended the title incase anyone can help with this

Is there an AGC setting in the TV perhaps? Have you checked its settings?

I have also tried using the soundbar on Bluetooth with the TV off and it is the same
Do you mean Bluetooth from the TV with the screen off or Bluetooth from another device?

Do you mean Bluetooth from the TV with the screen off or Bluetooth from another device?
I unplugged the TV, linked my phone by Bluetooth to the Soundbar and played the snooker (as this has plenty of quiet moments that you can test my problem on) on iPlayer so the sound came out of the soundbar and the hissing was still present. I then put the TV back on and played the snooker on iPlayer through the TV speakers and there was no hissing in the silent parts, just silence.

Could this be specific to how programmes are made/output? rather than a soundbar problem

Dumb question but do I leave the 'inputs' as Digital on my TV? There is a HDMIarc option (I have the HDMI in at present) but the screen is just black if I pick this. I just have my TV plugged into an aerial, no sky or other tv

If the soundbar has HDMI ARC connect it to the HDMI socket marked ARC on your TV and remove the optical cable. Ensure ARC is enabled on the TV and the soundbar (if it has ARC). You may need to power off both then switch on again for ARC to work.
You would use HDMI or optical not both.
EDIT.
I wouldn’t use a Snooker broadcast as a test because the background sound does rise and fall between the action.

Last edited:
If the soundbar has HDMI ARC connect it to the HDMI socket marked ARC on your TV and remove the optical cable. Ensure ARC is enabled on the TV and the soundbar (if it has ARC). You may need to power off both then switch on again for ARC to work.
You would use HDMI or optical not both.
EDIT.
I wouldn’t use a Snooker broadcast as a test because the background sound does rise and fall between the action.
I was using the snooker as there are a lot more quiet passages so you could hear if the hissing was still present after changing settings on the tv

I just didn't expect the soundbar to produce worse sound than my TV speakers

I guess it's just something I have to live with and learn for the next time

Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom