1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose System !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by xhaytham, Jun 6, 2005.

1. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wassup guys..

I think you've seen my last post it was about buying a sound system ... I changed the brand that I want to buy... NOW! its BOSE ... but its not gonna be all bose .. I mean the speackers and the subwoofer are bose .. but the amplifier and the dvd player are another brand ... my question is .. Does that going to effect the quality of the sound and is it going to be powerful ?

The Bose speckers that i'm going to buy are only singels if you know Bose they sell them with double speackers and singles ... Have anyone tried them are they powerful as the double speackers?

that's all thanks alot :)

2. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've never owned a Bose and I've never auditioned a Bose system properly. However I've read a lot on these forums and elsewhere that you can get far better quality for a lot less money by not buying something like the Bose lifestyle system.

I was on a web site recently which went into some detail about how relatively "downmarket" some of the Bose components were, and it certainly gave the impression that Bose's main weapon was its marketing ability...PJ :)

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Yep Bose are very poor value. If you buy a Bose for £1000s don't be surprised when someone who has paid mere £100s has better sound. Most of their money is marketing rather than design and high quality manufacture. I'm actually very fond of some of the Bose styling myself but their prices are often 2 to 3 times what the product should be priced at.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The AM speakers AM10 and 15 can be bettered for half the price but will be a bit larger Canton, M&K, Mission, laods of comapnies make great speakers, some are even quite sexy....

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But there are happy Bose owners out here that chose their product wisely and demoed against some highly regarded products and despite reading the websites and bad publicity, still came home with Bose ;).

The best advice anyone can give on here is to demo yourself and let your ears decide.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very true Alan..............

8. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys!! what are you talking about ... !! I'm not asking for your opnion on bose I was only asking about something specific !! not just arguing about BOSE BOSE BOSE

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well whatever you spend on an AMP is going to be potentially wasted driving bose cardboard cubes...................a denon 2805 for example great AMP seriously undermined by AM10 IMO of course

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you've bought Bose and your happy thats fine but the problem is some people think the product justifies the price. They believe a £3000 system will automatically be better than a £800 system and it simply isn't true. However there are plenty of people with a lot of money who aren't actually that fussy over the quality of sound but want a high end system and the Bose styling and approach can be very appealling. I just think people should be aware that their money could be spent more wisely if what they actually wanted was maximum sound quality. However if they are choosing a system by its styling and how it fits in with their decor then its a different matter. No one is saying Bose sound quality is bad its just the company spends sooooo much on marketing that the end retail prices don't reflect product value like many other brands. Also because of its high pricing and high marketing costs it doesn't sell in huge numbers which again adds to costs.

I don't think its a bad thing that people chip in to warn potential Bose buyers of the type of company they are just in case they are not aware of the nature of the company. There are bound to be people out there that take in the marketing and think they are buying into something actually worth the money. Also its worth pointing out that Bose speakers are what they do best. Their electronic products like home cinema units etc are their weakest designs both in performance and reliability. Its these units I think that have done must damage to their reputation. For example a £3000+ home cinema outfit that had only s-video output and consequently looked inferior in picture quality to £20 dvd players with RGB scart output.

11. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    bonzobanana, you are very wrong about Bose and your views are obviously not based on anything other than your opinion .... as a owner of a lifestyle system i've got nothing but praise for bose. Their after sales has been fantastic with my various queries. You say their electronics are the weakest link? Where is this gained from? i've searched the web and don't know of any design problems with their units? Mine has been 100% reliable. And for your information i've got mine set up for component out and the picture is simply stunning, along with the sound and listerned to many systems. Show me a system that looks as good as a lifestyle system and i'll listern. I have a bose system, these are the facts, please don't post what you can't back up.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Mark, I don't think Bonza was saying Bose equipment is bad per se, but just that they are over priced.

I have respect for Bose equipment, but their pricing, in the UK especially, is out of whack for the performance they deliver.

I have a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones, and they sound superb, some of the best headphones I have heard, but I wouldn't pay their UK Price tag of £275, I got them from the States for a much more reasonable £150.

If you compare a standard £3000 system to a Bose £3000 system, I think you may be surprised at the difference.

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  14. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Firstly, that web page is so out of date and is filled with wrong infomation, I get so bored with people quoting from this web page. Kazman, i think he was, comparing a 20 quid system to a bose lifestyle and saying they are crap electronics and unreliable. like i say hes just bashing bose with no facts to back him up.
    Who says bose is overpriced? I didn't. Its a niche product. A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is faster than a Porsche boxster, but people still buy Porsches. Its horses for courses. If he wants to pop around to my house for a demo he's quite welcome.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If so, I'm wondering why Bose are allowing it to persist. There's some less than flattering information on that site, surely they'd take steps to close it down if it was blatantly incorrect info which could (probably is) damaging sales?

It certainly would make me think twice about buying anything bose.

...PJ :)

16. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I once disected a bose subwoofer and satelite speaker system at school. I used to be one of the drama techies and I am good at fixing most things like this. Someone blew a driver in the subwoofer unit and one of the satelites was blown too. I was quite shocked and disappointed by the build quality in all honesty. They reminded me of my Pioneer satelite speakers except the cases on my speakers do not vibrate as much.

I thought that using paper cones was a thing of the past on setups costing as much as this.

I do like Bose equipment, but only if i'm borrowing it or am given it. I would never buy their kit brand new.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :D I'm sure people wouldn't have a problem if Bose were giving their stuff away.... well, not many anyway...PJ ;)

18. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    paper cones are still used in many high end speakers.