1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose Subwoofer on Laminate Flooring

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Igwiz, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am moving some furniture to make way for a bigger tv. In doing so, my very large Bose subwoofer is going to get displaced from on top of the wooden Ikea unit that houses my current tv. It looks like it may have to end up on the floor. My question is, I live in a top floor apartment and the sound insulation between floors is pretty non-existant. The flooring is laminate. Will putting the subwoofer on the floor automatically feed an awful lot of sound to my downstairs neighbour and if so what can people suggest as a potential solution?

Many thanks,
    Igwiz

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Yes the sound will travel through the floor - spikes on the sub would help, I assume the Bose comes with this option? You could also isolate the sub with something like a slab of marble, or something like an Auralex Gramma platform which in my experience are fantastic on suspended floors (I would say inexpensive but that statement is always relative to the quality/cost of equipment being used).

3. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

The bose already has rubber (I think) feet about 80mm high. Might have to dig out the manual. What I do understand about the salb of marble or concrete (from the other thread running) is that surely the sound goes through the marble/concrete straight back to the floor!?

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

As Smurfin said Auralex Gramma platform would be just what you need or you could use a pair of Auralex MoPADS which would also be perfect for isolating your sub.